Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > A Merry Blog » A Little April Fool's in November

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Crackers
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:31 PM
56,485 Views  0 Posts
Candygold Affordable Homemade...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:33 PM
51,485 Views  0 Posts
The Twelve Days of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:06 PM
48,585 Views  0 Posts
Being a Merry Mom
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:33 PM
48,641 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree The First Christmas in...
By Jeff Westover
10-07-2012 10:49 PM
30,655 Views  0 Posts
Long-winded Christmas musings and observations in operating My Merry Christmas.
Rate this Entry

A Little April Fool's in November

Submit "A Little April Fool's in November" to Digg Submit "A Little April Fool's in November" to del.icio.us Submit "A Little April Fool's in November" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Little April Fool's in November" to Google
Posted 11-03-2013 at 06:05 PM by Jeff Westover

Some people will believe anything.

Today on Facebook, on a whim brought on only by a late Saturday night and an early Sunday morning, I posted this snippet:

Did you know that on this date in history the first artificial Christmas tree was found off the coast of Siliconia in 1855? Artificial Christmas trees became an American tradition when Woolworths began selling them to gypsies out of the back of a wagon in 1887.

That snippet came from the draft of a script I wrote more than two years ago. When I research a topic I will put a placeholder in italics and red colored text until I can find the "fact" I seek and replace it.

I must have been in a goofy mood or something when I wrote that and I found it funny this morning, so I just copied and pasted it as a Facebook status expecting somebody to speak up about the absurdity of artificial Christmas trees being "discovered".

To my surprise, within a few minutes the comment had several "likes".

What is a "like" anyway? Is it agreement? Does that mean those who clicked "like" see the humor and are playing along with me?

Or does that mean they just take what I posted at face value as "fact"?

The idea intrigued me so I went to Twitter and posted it there, too. Then I headed off to Church.

It is now several hours later and I'm numb by the response to this.

Twitter is ALWAYS more responsive than Facebook but today -- nothing. Not a word.

In my email, which always brings more lengthy, thoughtful responses on Sundays -- there were two.

The first one asked for a link to the article that "fact" came from. They wanted to know more.

The 2nd one asked why they couldn't find Siliconia on Google Maps.

Seriously.

This makes me wonder what else I can get away with.
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award