Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > Christmas, Life, and Family » Al Bundy, Retail Hero?

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,970
Threads: 53,427
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, chatterswalliam
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Polar Express (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:00 PM
43,998 Views  0 Posts
Are You a Spug?
By MerryCarey
07-25-2011 09:08 AM
Last post by lauriebear
08-15-2011 12:09 PM
53,075 Views  7 Posts
The Muppet Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:09 PM
49,658 Views  0 Posts
The Rudolph Controversy
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:21 PM
47,908 Views  0 Posts
Mostly Homemade (and...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 03:22 PM
60,825 Views  0 Posts
My name is Ron, I am a Christmas nut always have been always will be. I am first and foremost a stay at home dad that has an evening job at a retail/grocery establishment. After my second son was born I stepped down from my management position, so my wife and I don't have to pay for daycare. My wife is a teacher in the town we live, so people recognize us everywhere in our little town.
My wife and I have been married for 9 years. We have 2 boys aged 6 and 3, both are young Christmas nuts.

I have loved Christmas as long as I remember
from seeing the lights on all the houses, to seeing if I could stay awake to see Santa.
Christmas has been the one constant in my life it has always been there for me, through the rough times of my parents divorce when I was 10 y/o or my mother's passing when I was 16.
Everyone always tried to make it something special for myself and sister when we were young no matter what was going on. I now believe that is why I love this time of year more than any other because of the efforts of my family to hold it above any other time of year. I get to make the season special for my boys now, whether it be by playing the music decorating the house and yard or just playing the dvd's. The memories the season has brought have always warm and it is no wonder why I look forward to making more of these memories every year. My favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story my favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night. My favorite Christmas artist is Bing Crosby.
Well if I ran on a little bit I am sorry I am new to blogging, it sounds always better in your mind.
I will try to keep posting and making it interesting for all who read.
Rate this Entry

Al Bundy, Retail Hero?

Submit "Al Bundy, Retail Hero?" to Digg Submit "Al Bundy, Retail Hero?" to del.icio.us Submit "Al Bundy, Retail Hero?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Al Bundy, Retail Hero?" to Google
Posted 09-17-2010 at 09:20 AM by xmas365

As some of you know I have been working in some sort of retail position for the last 13 years, and now that we are entering the shopping season you start to see the people looking for certain things. Most of these people are really great and are really happy talking with you and sharing their holiday plans and actually like to hear what you have to say and use their please and thank you's.
Then some people are the type of people who are absolute bears and nothing you do is good enough for them and you are just a "speed bump" in their way and they don't want to deal with you but they ask you a question and expect you to drop everything the second they ask even when you are helping other people first.
I know from my experience you have to "kill them with kindness" but sometimes that isn't good enough, and when they leave, I sometimes leave the floor and go to the back or freezer and just take out my frustrations by letting out a torrent of expletives, of course I make sure no one is around before I dare say it. Which leads me to the title of this entry, I have felt many times like being rude like Al Bundy is to his customers, the rude things he says just hit home sometimes because I have dealt with customers just like some of his (He is just rude all the time though) and just once I would like to make an inappropriate comment, but my common sense is to strong to allow me to say that now, just once in my early twenties did I actually "go off" but I had already given my notice and I didn't care about that job any longer. Some days are better than others but this is my life and I have learned how to deal with happy, sad, overwhelmed, drunk, rude, flirty, violent, and any other word you can use to describe someone.
I have done the Black Friday thing from the inside, I have dealt with the insanity of the mobs as they full out sprint through the store to be the first to get that special item, I just stand to the side or behind something for self preservation it is actually one of the most fun days of the year to work.
But the strangest day of the year to work is Christmas Eve, if you are ever shopping on the Eve, take notice of your surroundings, you will notice there are tons of people in a store but they are all silent, you could almost hear a pin drop. It is very surreal, it is as if people are concentrating on the impending holiday and are focused on getting in and out as fast as possible.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 921 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I worked retail many, many years myself and I can certainly relate to what you are saying, Ron. Yes, people can be extremely rude especially when they are customers. Sometimes it seems as though they think they have some sort of entitlement to be rude to the retail worker. You are right to "kill 'em with kindness". And yes, Christmas unfortunately seems to bring out the worst of the worst at times as far as people and attitudes. After all, Christ didnt tell them to go shopping so what are they upset about ?? I found working Christmas Eve was actually quite pleasant. People for the most part seemed to be a bit more relaxed and some even seemed to remember what "Christmas is all about." Black Friday is another thing. I hope you will have a good Holiday season and don't let the Scrooges out there get to you !
  2. Old Comment
    I believe in "killing them with kindness". My grandfather preached that as well. You come out on top when you do and feel better for doing so.

At my job we seem to have more nice customers than rude. It's a business that has been there for around 80 years and we get regulars that seem like family. If I come across someone rude I take in consideration that this is their personality and try not to take it personally. I continue to be nice and they usually come around. I seriously think people that have a chip on their shoulder as soon as they speak to you have the image that the whole world is against them. It's their defense mechanism to be rude to you right away. Sometimes I think they must be having a bad day and don't realize how they are acting and take it out on me. Not that they are right doing so but it might be the situation. I might be wrong in my judgment but it makes it easier to be nice to them if I think that is what they are feeling.

When they realize I will continue to be nice and helpful they back down a bit. I think they finally realize I am not against them but trying to be helpful.

It can be frustrating for sure and you can't help but feel hurt by rude people.

When you mention about someone being drunk and violent is a whole other thing. I think I would be calling the police then! Lol!

Christmas Eve brings out the good in most people! =)
    Posted 09-17-2010 at 11:35 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  3. Old Comment
    I hear exactly what you're saying. I've worked in retail for the past 32 years and, frankly, I've rather enjoyed my executive status of the past several years that gave me the satisfaction (and trial) of dealing with the very irate of the irate. By the time customer had reached me, several levels below me had already "failed".

I cannot tell you how many times I've repeated the same thing to a customer that store personnel have said and have had them accept it from me. That grated on me a great deal.

But nothing -- absolutely nothing -- enthralled me more to be in a store, in my suit, and see a customer abuse one of my employees.

I didn't do it much but I did have occasion to tell a customer we didn't want their business and would they just please leave.

Invariably they'd look at me and ask me who I was and demand to know the name of my boss. I would tell them there was no higher up they could go and that I was not kidding when I said I'd call the police and have them arrested for tresspassing.

They'd stomp out, call the 800-number -- a call I would get anyway -- and in rare cases I'd get the pleasure of addressing them a second time.

Invariably, without fail, I would leave that store with morale sky high and see a boost in service and sales.

There is always hard work that goes behind great customer service and most of the time it goes unrecognized. A few customers get it and will say something and what they say is more precious than anything I, the boss, could say to the crew. But for the most part, it is a thankless job.

I always make sure to recognize great service when I get it. And when I don't -- look out.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award