Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs > MerryCarey's Blog » Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Jimmy Stewart Remembers...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:53 PM
Last post by Carrie63
08-15-2013 04:23 PM
147,085 Views  8 Posts
Santa Speaks 2007
By MMC Editor
06-11-2007 11:13 PM
54,664 Views  0 Posts
How to Properly Light...
By MMC Editor
08-29-2011 02:10 AM
0 Posts
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,320 Views  0 Posts
"The Purloined...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:34 AM
55,353 Views  0 Posts

Anything goes---musings on Christmas music, movies, history, memories---anything Christmas that moves me to write. I hope you find something to enjoy here!

Rate this Entry

Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake

Submit "Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake" to Digg Submit "Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake" to del.icio.us Submit "Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mrs. Carey's Fruit Cake" to Google
Posted 11-23-2010 at 04:06 PM by MerryCarey

Some of you may know that my father passed away in October, leaving me the last surviving member of the family I grew up in. It also leaves me the sole owner and guardian of a well-worn index card that bears a typed recipe with handwritten amendments, and is stained with baking ingredients and years of use.

Fruitcake was never a joke in our house. I suppose I was in high school before I was aware that in many households, Christmas fruitcake was a despised object of ridicule. But not the fruitcake my parents made from a recipe passed down through my family. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, various friends and neighbors never failed to remind my parents: “Don’t forget to save me some fruitcake again this year!”

On Thanksgiving Day, our kitchen was always busy—but not with turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Instead, our kitchen table groaned with ingredients and a huge roasting pan in which my mother and father compounded the batter for their famous fruitcakes, mixing the ingredients with their hands like children mixing mud pies. The cakes had to be baked on Thanksgiving so they could age and mellow in the spare refrigerator in the basement during the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I never missed having a big turkey dinner on Thanksgiving. My Thanksgivings consisted of other traditions that I cherished just as dearly. To keep us out of their hair and their baking, my parents sent my brother and me next door to our grandparents to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. My grandparents had a color television set a few years before we did, so it was an extra-special treat to see the big annual spectacle in color. My brother and I each munched on a small box of cookies bought especially to enjoy with the parade. After Santa Claus had made his holiday debut in front of Macy’s, my grandmother provided us with a simple lunch of ham sandwiches, potato chips, and orange soda. Oh, how I miss those ham sandwiches! My grandfather had his own recipe for curing country hams that tasted mellower and less salty that ordinary country hams. Every holiday dinner and family occasion featured, alongside the turkey, a plate piled high with cold slices of his country ham. The flavor of that ham is long lost and deeply missed.

After lunch my father came over to my grandparents’ to watch football with my grandfather and my brother—my cue to cross the driveway and return home. At that point, once I had a record player of my own, I dashed to my room to enjoy Christmas albums, which I was free to enjoy now that the season was officially under way. According to my mother, playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving—apart from practicing my piece for my piano teacher’s annual recital—was considered “too early.”

The memory of those Thanksgiving mornings is still sweet. I remember how right it felt that everything was happening again the same way, just as it had the year before: the dawn of another Christmas season, called forth by pounds and pounds of flour, sugar, nuts, currants, and candied fruit, and the mysterious rituals of mixing and baking that turned them into long-awaited fruitcakes. You may find it hard to believe, but I never tasted that legendary fruitcake. Once when I was small, I asked my mother what it tasted like. She replied, “You wouldn’t like it.” And that was that—it was a Grownup Thing, and I never questioned it, even when I was old enough to be a Grownup myself. But I can still remember the aroma of baking fruitcake that scented the kitchen when I returned home early in the afternoon on Thanksgiving Day.

Now I’m the last surviving member of the family, and the sole guardian of that hallowed fruitcake recipe. I don’t have a family of my own to pass it on to. Instead, I’d like to pass it on to all of you who believe that such as thing as good fruitcake can, and does, exist. It can’t be found wrapped in supermarket cellophane, but it can be found in a warm kitchen on Thanksgiving morning. I hope this recipe will reward your faith.

Mrs. Carey’s Fruit Cake

12 eggs
1 lb. butter
1 lb. sugar or 2 cups
1 lb. flour or 4 cups
3 lbs. raisins
2 lbs. currants
2 teaspoons nutmeg or cinnamon
½ lb. citron
1 lb. candied cherries
½ lb. candied pineapple
1 lb. nuts (4 cups)
1 glass strawberry preserves
1 water glass wine [My parents used wine that my grandmother made]
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons cream

Cream butter and sugar. Separate egg whites and egg yolks. Add beaten egg yolks to creamed mixture. Beat in 2 tablespoons cream. Add strawberry preserves. Add wine. Then add sifted flour, baking powder, and nutmeg. Dredge the cut-up fruit and nuts in ¼ pound of flour. Add to mixture. Add egg whites last.

Grease and flour two tube pans. Put wax paper in bottom of pans. Bake at 275 degrees for 3 hours. After 1½ hours, put a pan of water on the rack beneath the cakes.

The recipe ends there, but I remember that each cake was wrapped in white cloth soaked in my grandmother’s homemade wine, and overwrapped in aluminum foil. The wrapped cakes were kept in a refrigerator until shortly before Christmas, when they were cut and distributed among a selected few, some receiving slices and others receiving half a cake as a Christmas gift. The cakes were decorated with egg whites beaten to a froth and brushed lightly on top as a base for red and green cherries and pecan halves. When the egg whites were dry, they resembled a light dusting of snow.

P.S.—If anyone gives the recipe a try, let me know what you think.
Posted in Christmas Foods
Views 3270 Comments 6
Total Comments 6

Comments

1. Old Comment
    [B]Thank you so much for this recipe and for this blog entry. You are an amazing writer. I could read what you write for hours and hours !! The recipe sounds DELICIOUS !!! xo[/B]
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you for thinking of sharing this with us, I am not a fan of fruitcake myself, but somewhere down the line I may try to make it for someone
  3. Old Comment
    What a great blog. The fruitcake images remind me so much of "A Christmas Memory". One of my favorite reads and a very well done movie as well.
  4. Old Comment
    That is a beautiful memory! Thanks for sharing! =)
    Posted 11-26-2011 at 10:02 AM by Christmas-A-Holic Christmas-A-Holic is offline
  5. Old Comment
    I loved reading this story! I can just picture your parents kitchen on Thanksgiving morning! Thanks for sharing!
  6. Old Comment
    Thanks so much for this story and recipe.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media

Click to listen now!

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award