Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Blogs » Entries for November 2012

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer
Old

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?

Posted 11-13-2012 at 01:41 PM by lauriebear

Thanksgiving Day, is celebrated in America and in other Nations as well but as I am from the U.S. I will blog on my own humble thoughts of the day. Thanksgiving is a time to gather with family and friends to give thanks for the many blessings enjoyed by the nation and their citizens. However, to many people, its meaning is lost. It has become simply another day without special meaning.

Turkey dinners, cranberries, candied yams, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and family gatherings, these are all commonly associated with most Americansí yearly celebration of Thanksgiving Day. But, what does Thanksgiving really mean to you?

In the United States, Thanksgiving is on the fourth Thursday of November. On this holiday, a Thanksgiving meal is prepared with all the trimmings; families gather together and talk, while others watch a game or a parade filled with pilgrims, Indians and other colonial figures. Some families may even have their own yearly Thanksgiving...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

A Furious Argument Over Stuffing

Posted 11-12-2012 at 02:54 PM by Jeff Westover (A Merry Blog)

We're getting a great kick out of the many whiners out there complaining of Christmas creep. For some reason folks see the Christmas decorations and hear the Christmas music of early November as some kind of slight to Thanksgiving. We don't see it that way. Thanksgiving is just a part of our Christmas.

We're experiencing something different this year. After having worked for years in a way that prevented us from spending any of our holidays with extended family I'm taking vacation time this year and packing up the kids and going over the river and through the woods and through the woods and through the woods (900 miles by car) to Grandmother's house all the way to California for Thanksgiving.

This is a wildly popular branch of the family. The kids get to hang with their cousins and there will, in addition to the great food, be plenty of laughter and tears.

But for as wonderful as this will no doubt be as an event there is a storm of sorts brewing....
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums
Old

What the election means to me

Posted 11-06-2012 at 01:09 PM by lauriebear

What the election means to me

I don't pretend to be a political guru or know all there is to know about our Government. There are plenty of bloggers, websites, and tweets who can do that and give in depth analysis of all the issues. Instead, I will just simply tell you what Election Day mean to me.

As an American Citizen I am proud to cast my vote in an election, to have my voice counted. I think back today and on Veterans Day and say thank you for giving me this right. I think of the people who fought. I think of our founding fathers and wonder at amazement that to this day the system still works.
To vote is one of the greatest privileges. My vote counts towards the person I think bests fits the job, and yes that means at times I canít always choose a person for likability, for personal reasons. I need to be prudent and choose the candidate that will best be suited to fulfill that role.

Did you know that our working government...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

All Saints Day: November 1st

Posted 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM by lauriebear

All Saints Day, the day on which Christians celebrate all the saints, known and unknown, is a surprisingly old feast. It arose out of the Christian tradition of celebrating the martyrdom of saints on the anniversary of their martyrdom. When martyrdoms (sp ???) increased during the persecutions of the late Roman Empire, local dioceses instituted a common feast day in order to ensure that all martyrs, known and unknown were properly honored.

The Date is November 1st
Type of Feast: Solemnity; Holy Day of Obligation
Typical Readings: Revelation 7:2-4, 9-14; Psalm 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6; 1 John 3:1-3; Matthew 5:1-12a
Typical Prayers: Litany of the Saints

History of All Saints Day:
By the late fourth century, this common feast was celebrated in Antioch, and Saint Ephrem (sp ???) the Syrian mentioned it in a sermon in the year 373 AD. In the early centuries, this feast was celebrated in the Easter season, and the Eastern Churches, both...
Christmas Deity
Posted in Uncategorized

Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas

2012 Founder's Award