Who belongs in the Christmas Hall of Fame?

Tim Babb

Host of the Can’t Wait For Christmas podcast
MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
MMC Partner
Aug 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
cantwaitforchristmaspod.com
Yes.

We should have dueling podcasts -- yours that would support WD for the Christmas Hall of Famy and mine that would scoff at that idea.

Wow! Didn’t expect to be shot down so thoroughly lol

Edit: IS the Christmas Hall of Fame really going to be a future podcast episode? If so, it’s brilliant!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Would it be getting too "granular" to include some of the great choirs/orchestras that have been part of our Christmas for years and have become classics? The MTC, the Robert Shaw Chorale, Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians, the Norman Luboff Choir, Percy Faith, Spike Jones, etc.? The ones that have been the "sound of Christmas" for decades. (Maybe that opens it up too wide and removes the barrier between the classics and the Hall of Famers.)

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Wow! Didn’t expect to be shot down so thoroughly lol

Edit: IS the Christmas Hall of Fame really going to be a future podcast episode? If so, it’s brilliant!
Actually the Christmas Hall of Fame won't only be a podcast episode...it's going to be, well, a Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Iteachpercussion

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Would it be getting too "granular" to include some of the great choirs/orchestras that have been part of our Christmas for years and have become classics? The MTC, the Robert Shaw Chorale, Fred Waring and His Pennsylvanians, the Norman Luboff Choir, Percy Faith, Spike Jones, etc.? The ones that have been the "sound of Christmas" for decades. (Maybe that opens it up too wide and removes the barrier between the classics and the Hall of Famers.)
I don't think so at all. How can you skip on those? I don't think there are enough Robert Shaws and Norman Luboff Choirs any more. We cannot let the legacy of chorale and orchestra be forgotten in the Hall of Fame conversation.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I don't think so at all. How can you skip on those? I don't think there are enough Robert Shaws and Norman Luboff Choirs any more. We cannot let the legacy of chorale and orchestra be forgotten in the Hall of Fame conversation.
I'm glad to hear that ... my Christmas music library is stuffed with those folks ... without the sound of those choirs and orchestras, there would be a big hole in my Christmas season.

(In case you're wondering "Spike Jones???" I included him for two reasons: his album, which inspired the Carpenters' "Christmas Portrait," which reportedly caused a resurgence in pop Christmas albums; and "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth," which is not a favorite of mine, but it's still going strong after a number of decades.)

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I agree. There are many icons of Christmas, especially in the entertainment category, that may prove distasteful to some. That doesn't make their accomplishments any less significant. I think Spike Jones is a worthy candidate. More so even than Walt Disney. What was it that Walt contributed to Christmas again?

Tim Babb

MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
MMC Partner
Aug 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
What was it that Walt contributed to Christmas again?
You've got your Babes in Toyland movie, Pluto's Christmas Tree animated short, Silent Night and other Christmas Carols record...and that's just while he was alive, the company he made is responsible for Mickey's Christmas Carol, the Santa ClausE, Nightmare Before Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carrol, etc.

But for me, the biggest thing is the parks. Disneyland had a big celebration for Christmas every year since they opened. And the annual Christmas parade has become a yearly televised event!

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Are characters worthy of consideration?

Like Scrooge, Ralphie, and Cousin Eddie (ok...Eddie is a stretch).

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
You've got your Babes in Toyland movie, Pluto's Christmas Tree animated short, Silent Night and other Christmas Carols record...and that's just while he was alive, the company he made is responsible for Mickey's Christmas Carol, the Santa ClausE, Nightmare Before Christmas, The Muppet Christmas Carrol, etc.

But for me, the biggest thing is the parks. Disneyland had a big celebration for Christmas every year since they opened. And the annual Christmas parade has become a yearly televised event!

All that is proof positive that uncle Walt never had one original Christmas idea of his own. That doesn't make him Hall of Fame material, at least for Christmas.

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
Johnny Marks.

I'm not sure there has ever been anyone to write more Christmas tunes than he.

Reactions: HollyJolly

Daniel12days

MMC's Animation Historian
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Aug 12, 2013
The Warner Bros. Water Tower
Jim Henson, Arthur Rankin, Jules Bass, Charles Schulz and to pick one person from here, Tim Babb.

Edit: Shoot, I thought of a few others.

Theodore 'Dr Seuss' Geisel, Charles M. 'Chuck' Jones and Bill Melendez.

Last edited:

Christmas Tinsel

Landlord of Tinsel‘s Tavern
MMC Member
Feb 20, 2020
Uk
Hi Tim, there's so many deserving inductees for the Christmas Hall of Fame, I could mention. But here goes with the one that come to mind straight away. Coca-Cola, because soon as I see there advert on TV I know Christmas is on its way

Reactions: Tim Babb

Tim Babb

MMC Donor
Santa's Elf
MMC Premiere
MMC Partner
Aug 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Hi Tim, there's so many deserving inductees for the Christmas Hall of Fame, I could mention. But here goes with the one that come to mind straight away. Coca-Cola, because soon as I see there advert on TV I know Christmas is on its way

Thanks for the name check, but this is Jeff's BBQ. I'm just here enjoying the ribs.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image