Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Traditions & Memories (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Start of christmas traditions (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10701)

redandgreen 08-18-2008 05:39 PM

Start of christmas traditions

I was just wondering if you have any 'start of christmas traditions'? Like i mean when your christmas season starts like in september or whenever. We have a mini christmas dinner and I do something good for someone like last year we have this woman who dose a 'christmas clean' to get ready for the holidays and we have her in on the end of october and first weekend in december. Anyway i got talking to her in october and she was at the house for about 7 hours and there are some families that don't even give her a drink! (some people are so bah-humbug!!) So i went and got some mince pies and a drink each and listened to some christmas music, sat down and talked. Then we worked to together to finish the house (even though she was being payed it is still good to have some professional help! Later on in december it came round for her to come again. This time it is to put the tree together (not the decorations, just the tree itself) I hate this tree, it look great once put up but it is 8 feet and each and every branch you have to put on separately and because it to so big it has about 130 of these branches to twist out to make it look good and attach to the tree poll! Any way once you are done your hands are a bit scratched up and you are so tired! Anyway i came downstairs and she had got 1/4 up and (she did'nt know i was watching her) she made a sort of how much longer is this going to take look face at it. Then i took over (as i am more fit and younger at age 16) up to about 3/4 of the way up as she sat down and had a drink. Then we finished to rest together.

So do you have any traditions like these? I just would like to know!

Thanks

redandgreen (Harry)
:merry:

Annette1990 08-18-2008 08:59 PM

My daughter and I always make cookies, candies and that sort of thing prior to Christmas. She also makes a gingerbread house and frosts all the cookies with frosting and sprinkels. And she loves to help with the decorating of the tree etc. Her grandmother recently got her a scrapbook so I plan to take plenty of pictures so she can add them to it. I would also like to add that we usually read Holiday/Christmas books and start watching Christmas movies/shows to get ready too!

Jeff Westover 08-18-2008 09:34 PM

Oh yeah, we have lots of traditions...

Oct 12 -- our wedding anniversary, is usually what we call the Family Fall Fest. It is a party where we set dates for all the season's big events.

Oct 31 -- Halloween -- first letters to Santa go in the pumpkins (long ago this started)

Nov 15th-ish -- First Updates from the North Pole, goes daily Thanksgiving Day

Dec 5th -- If the tree isn't already up, this is as late as we go. Same with the lights.

Dec 10-17 -- Usually the extended family Christmas party, Church Christmas party, the annual Christmas Concert with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and, of course, my daughter's birthday

Dec 24 -- Biggest day of the year, day of the Christmas Feast. It runs from about 7am to 11pm, no kidding. Nothing is missed.

Dec 24 -- Santa tracking all day

dvdelf 08-19-2008 12:54 AM

good lord

kelly ann 08-19-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 92154)
Oh yeah, we have lots of traditions...

Oct 12 -- our wedding anniversary, is usually what we call the Family Fall Fest. It is a party where we set dates for all the season's big events.

Oct 31 -- Halloween -- first letters to Santa go in the pumpkins (long ago this started)

Nov 15th-ish -- First Updates from the North Pole, goes daily Thanksgiving Day

Dec 5th -- If the tree isn't already up, this is as late as we go. Same with the lights.

Dec 10-17 -- Usually the extended family Christmas party, Church Christmas party, the annual Christmas Concert with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and, of course, my daughter's birthday

Dec 24 -- Biggest day of the year, day of the Christmas Feast. It runs from about 7am to 11pm, no kidding. Nothing is missed.

Dec 24 -- Santa tracking all day

Gosh, you're family must be very busy around the holidays!!!:)

MsChristmas 08-19-2008 04:47 AM

For me the start of the Christmas season tradition is that at my work we start listening to Christmas CD's in early November. I work in a small office of 5 people and we are all crazy about Christmas. By the 2nd or 3rd week of November we switch to the radio because we have 1 Baltimore station and 1 Washington DC station that starts playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving through the New Year non stop. Its awesome! I will usually bake some Christmas cookies the weekend before Thanksgiving and start putting up my Christmas decorations to kick of the season too!

:tree:

George Broderick, Jr. 08-19-2008 07:55 AM

It's not OFFICIALLY Christmas season at my house until we see this on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CmuFGoKOA

Pittsburgh also has "Light Up Night around Nov. 15th or so and at least TWO local radio stations that play non stop 24/7 Christmas music from then until Dec 25th.

Then (time permitting), it's off to the Carnegie Science Center to see the miniature railroad and village and the Christmas sky show at the planetarium (it's a program all about the Christmas Star).

I can hardly wait! cheesy

joyful 08-19-2008 10:58 AM

I started the tradition of making Christmas cookies with my grandchildren. This year the youngest will be old enough to help, lol, she will be 2 in January so this should be interesting.
It's messy but I love it because I want them to have those memories of making cookies with their grandmother. But the older they get especially the boys, they lose interest but they will still have the memories.

SparkleNana 08-19-2008 11:12 AM

This is a wonderful thread. I never thought of celebrating the "start of the Christmas season". But now I will.

Jeff -- when do we get to hear more about The Christmas Feast on December 24th. If I can't be there, I really do want to hear lots and lots and everything about it!

Minta 08-19-2008 11:19 AM

About Mid Nov we let the kids put their Christmas tree up their room. It's only a small 3 1/2 ft tree but they love it. They have their own special ornaments that go on their tree and each year right before the tree goes up we take them shopping to get a new ornament for their tree. This is the kick off for Christmas.
I usually pull out the holiday mugs the weekend before Thanksgiving, sometimes earlier. Our daughter has to have hot cocoa in her christmas mug.
This year we will be introducing a new tradition of Christmas Elves coming to visit on Dec 1st.
I bake through out the month and my daughter loves to help. This year will let our little guy help with cookie cutters and decorating the cookies.

Thanksgiving weekend we try to pack up the kids and drive around to see who has their christmas lights up and on, that is after we have ours up and on! Not sure how much of that we will do this year with the way gas prices are.