Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I hate the bl**dy Circle of Life!!!!! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11093)

Maureen 09-14-2008 03:11 PM

I hate the bl**dy Circle of Life!!!!!

I currently have a fledgling dove in my cupboard in a cardboard box. It's at the flying from the shed to the fence and the fence to the wall stage. Parents are still around as is a brother/sister. My other half opened up the door and let the dogs out before checking and next thing you know..............

Doesn't have any obvious injuries and seems bright enough except it keeps falling onto its side. I had a word with our local "bird lady" and she said to keep it in the dark and warm to try and prevent shock.

Haven't a clue what to do with it if it's still alive tomorrow morning and no, it's not going to be breakfast for the dogs

I feel so bad. I know this happens and it could've been a cat or a hawk but it was my dog and I just keep thinking about its parents looking for it.

How pathetic is that???!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Westover 09-14-2008 04:44 PM

Well, to be fair, dogs will be dogs, you know.

JanaBanana 09-14-2008 05:08 PM

I am always saving birds that hit our big front windows.. make sure you put some water on his beak so he doesnt get dehydrated, and then I would recommend that you find it a place that take it.. they cant go that long without eating :(

JanaBanana 09-14-2008 05:09 PM

Your local vets will take it...

irishsnow 09-14-2008 06:32 PM

Its all part of nature

HolidayHoney 09-14-2008 06:51 PM

I Can Relate

We have several cats, (most of them adopted us!) and when our neighbor moved to another state we "adopted" his rooster and 2 hens. One of the hens was injured and my hubby and I spent several days trying to save it, we used a dropper for water and gave it baby-type food, however it didn't make it. I did not like chickens, but that little hen knew that we were trying to save her! I am now getting attached to the other two!

AuntieMistletoeDear 09-14-2008 07:03 PM

I was about to share my Seagull story, but I'll save that for another time.

However ...

When I was little (about five), my mother caught me at the side of the house playing pet doctor to a robin - one of my favourite birds. I had string, popsicle sticks and Scotch tape and I was trying to put it back together again.

She flipped. She was so worried about diseases. She screamed, "what are you doing with that bird?" I just looked up at her and said, "fixing him up so he can fly again." What could she say or do. I didn't realize he was dead, I just thought his wing was broken. We buried him and I said a prayer. I think that's the first time I heard my mom pray out loud, "Lord give me strength."

Trust me that's a happier story than the Seagull one.

I understand the Circle of Life, but sometimes it stinks. :-?

Annette1990 09-14-2008 07:35 PM

I have been in the same situation Maureen. I totally understand how you are feeling. I too do all I can. And I also agree with Jana. A vet can recommend what exactly to do if not at least take it and try to nurse it back.

Maureen 09-15-2008 01:56 AM

Thanks for the comments (even yours Jeff!) However, it's no longer a problem. Went to check on it this morning and it had slipped away sometime during the night :sad:

At least it was warm and dry, albeit alone. I know dogs will be dogs but it doesn't mean to say I have to like it..........

EdNog 09-15-2008 02:32 AM

Hello Maureen.
It is very sad when this happens.
If you have anything like this happen in the future, then please visit this site:

http://www.pigeon-life.net/

It is filled with the most knowledgeable people about birds and caring for the injured and lost ones. They will do their utmost to help you and your bird. I have saved quite a few because of the wonderful people there.
Many vets (in many people's experience) will not bother to save pigeons or doves and in many cases it comes down to us to do our best for them. Nothing quite like bringing an injured bird back to health that would otherwise have died or been put to sleep, and seeing it fly off, strong and plump.
Thank you for caring for this little one, wish there were more like you.
Kindest regards,
Ed.