Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home & Family (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HELP HELP HELP..Please :) (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13752)

JanaBanana 12-22-2008 10:48 AM

HELP HELP HELP..Please :)

Ok my daddy doesnt have a lot of money at all ...he told me today that its been the worst Christmas they have ever had in the 30 plus years together... he wasnt complaining or looking for handouts at all... well anyways, I cant even get to a store or anything because of the road conditions so I need your help on something I can give him to open up on Christmas morning. On Christmas Eve the hubs and I are driving over and giving them a smoked Ham that we have from the pig we bought so they have that for dinner.. I was going to bake some pies for him but I dont see him very often at all so I wouldnt get my pie pans back for a long time so Im gonna swing into the store and buy them a couple pies to go with the ham. Anyway, can you please help me come up with something on short notice that I could possibly make at home for a gift? I already gave them a couple pics of the kids so thats out.. I am gonna give them a jar of my homemade jelly...
We didnt buy for anyone this year but the immediate family. But I want my daddy to have SOMETHING :( Not sure if I can pull it off but I want to atleast give it a try.
THANK YOU

elfworks 12-22-2008 11:13 AM

with my current health stuff, i havent been able to shop AT ALL, so here is what i am doing....

burning cds! making mix tapes for people that have all my fave songs (some of the cds are xmas-y, some not, depends on who is getting them) but for "liner" notes i am writing little stories about why the music on this cd was picked for this particular person etc.....

made my sweetie a pile of xmas cards with coupons for stuff like doing his ironing and dinner and things of a nature acceptable for him to reveal in front of my family!!! maybe you could do something like that for your dad as yall dont see each other much.... i put all 12 cards in a box each then put all twelve little boxes n a big box.

xo

JanaBanana 12-22-2008 11:26 AM

Neat ideas Elfworks! Thanks
I am gonna bake up a bunch of goodies too.. I have some pumpkin bread in the oven now and will make up a basket or a gift bag filled with that I think :D

officepro4u 12-22-2008 11:37 AM

If you have some contact paper or laminating sheets, you could make some coasters for him made out of drawings of your kids' hands. Have each of your children cut out the shape of their hands, write their names and/or decorate the handprints then cover with contact paper or laminating sheets.

Something he will always treasure...I know I would!!

Ms_Speedy_Elf 12-22-2008 11:45 AM

Since you don't get to see him very often what about a homemade video of your family(you,hubs,children) that is if you have a video camera .

Maybe you could write him a letter from your heart telling him how much he means to you and then frame it . If your not able to get a frame ,use one that you already have another picture in,you can always replace it later.

Jana ,you are a great photographer so how about a photo collage of your family and /or photo's of thing's that make you think of your dad and all the special thing's he did for you growing up.

Maybe you could make him a shadow box using thing's that you have there at home and in the garage that reflect his hobbies ,thing's that you and he did/do together like did he take you fishing (I'm sure hubby has a bobber to spare) took you camping look for a brochure online that you can scan and place in the shadow box ,took you on your first hunting trip ( a photo marking the moment)

I may think of more . Hope this helps .Just think of gifts from your heart.

(Hugs)

JanaBanana 12-22-2008 12:07 PM

Yeah I dont have a video camera... can you believe that? 5 kids and thats one thing I have never owned. My husband was just saying we should go buy one.

SparkleNana 12-22-2008 01:25 PM

JanaBanana - I think this is a wonderful thread - and I have some ideas to add to the wonderful ideas you have received. But first, please let me say - that - as a parent -- having an incredible daughter like you is the most wonderful gift he could wish for! (Not to even mention those five grandchildren!)

Then - I saw something on television this morning. They suggested going around your house making a "JanaBananas' Favorite Things Basket". Put in anything you have at home because you like it and buy it for yourself. A bar of soap. A can of your favorite soup. A couple of packages of your favorite hot chocolate. An unopened bottle of your favorite salad dressing. Anything you have bought because you like it and use it. Very personal gift, and not something anyone else would be able to give a twin to.

Santa's Helper 12-22-2008 01:25 PM

Well someone already said what my idea was...the video. I had a bunch of videos on 8mm from when I was little that my brother and I had put onto dvd's a couple of years ago. We gave it to my mom for Christmas and she loved it. When we started speaking with my dad again after 21 years we sent it to him as well. I was also going to say a scrap book of your kids or photos that you might have from when you were younger with your dad or something like that. I made my mom a book starting from my baby picture through the years and wrote something special under each photo and it ended with my wedding picture. She loved it and displays it on her end table. I hope things get better for your family.

JanaBanana 12-22-2008 01:30 PM

Awww I love these ideas :D Thank you so much girls! I actually found a mini coffee table photo scrapbook that Im gonna fix up with all my kids pictures and give that to them... THEN I think I will do like you said, I will scan in some old pics of my daddy and me and then put them on a disk and give it him for Christmas. LOVE IT!
THank you soooo much everyone for these brilliant gift ideas :D

Santa's Helper 12-22-2008 01:31 PM

Glad we could be of some help. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas together.