Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Retro (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Ultimate Retro: The Wizard of Oz (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14439)

CharlestonNole 02-27-2009 07:02 PM

Ultimate Retro: The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz

Have you seen it?

Does it rank in your all-time favorites? or is the worst movie you've ever seen?

Trivia, thoughts, etc....let'em fly.....

HolidayHoney 02-27-2009 07:10 PM

Yep, I like it. When my daughter was 3 she watched it for the first time....she put her little chair directly in front of the TV, put her favorite babydoll in her left arm, her sippy cup in her right hand, and sat there transfixed!! I can see that image so well in my mind.

singingringingtree 02-28-2009 02:01 AM

I loathe this film. Saw it as a child and absolutely terrified me. Can't watch it now as I find it so unsettling. I'm sure its got some sort of weird undertone. My kids always liked it though!

George Broderick, Jr. 02-28-2009 09:02 AM

This movie was shown on network TV every Easter when I was growing up, usually "hosted" by Dick Van Dyke... it was "must see TV" for us... and the next day it was "water cooler" talk on the playground during lunch recess... and you just KNEW that other kids across the country, in grade schools from Maine to California, were all discussing the same thing! And if you missed it, you were a playground pariah and had to wait a WHOLE YEAR to see it again..!

I've long felt that kids today are missing out on that zeitgiest thing with the invention of DvD's and VCR's... they've traded being able to watch Oz whenever they want with that shared communal feeling with a whole nation of second graders... same with Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch and Charlie Brown Christmas... some still watch the network broadcasts but it's not the same... we shall never see its like again...

Maureen 02-28-2009 09:42 AM

I love this film. I can so identify with WWW!!!!!!! I have a keyring with her on it AND a bobble head. Our local am/dram is putting this on next year and here's a clue - I ain't trying out for no munchkin!!!

I remember watching this when I was little and just as Dorothy had been seen to the edge of Munchkinland by all the Munchkins and starts skipping her way along the yellow brick road, there was ALWAYS a Singer Sewing Machine commercial!!

Santa's Helper 02-28-2009 01:24 PM

I remember watching this every year when it would come on tv. We never missed it. It was special when it would come on. We'd do the same thing when the Sound of Music would come on once a year as well. I agree with George on the DVD thing. I always watch stuff when it comes on tv because it makes it more special, even though I have them on dvd. It doesn't matter to me. I know there's a special time of year going on when I see Frosty or Charlie Brown. I can't say that I've watched the Wizard of Oz though in recent years but, I still like it.
I had a physics teacher in high school who started his own astrology club with his friends and he said that every year when the Wizard of Oz was on they would all get together and watch it and then go and do their astrology stuff as well. They'd take turns hosting each year at a different house. What a bunch of nerds! I loved him though, he was so fun.

Head Elf 02-28-2009 05:42 PM

I always wondered why we saw it around tornado time... when I was little the part that scared me was when the cowardly lion jumped out of the window. I felt so sad for him, could never understand why he did that. But it is one my all time favorite movies. My husbands CB handle used to be Scarecrow, so it means more to me now. I have some collectible things around the house. And now I'm reading the books by McGuire, (Wicked, Son of a Witch and the one about the Cowardly lion).

joyful 02-28-2009 09:17 PM

When I was growing up one of the major networks always showed The Wizard of Oz once a year. It was so special because we only seen it at that time. I remember the monkeys were scary to me. But I love the talent of Judy Garland, Jack Haley, Ray Bolger in the movie.
They are what made the movie so memorable and a classic.

Wenceslaus 02-28-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maureen (Post 154467)
I remember watching this when I was little and just as Dorothy had been seen to the edge of Munchkinland by all the Munchkins and starts skipping her way along the yellow brick road, there was ALWAYS a Singer Sewing Machine commercial!!

With the Singer Midgets? cheesy

Annette1990 03-01-2009 08:37 AM

My family and I also love this movie. We own the DVD so we watch it often. And watch it again when it's on Television. Ranks right up there with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory......classics!