Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lights & Decorations (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Share your tips on storing lights, etc. (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15319)

joyful 07-28-2009 12:07 AM

Share your tips on storing lights, etc.

I know many have great ideas that are time savers and help the holiday season easier.

How do you store your tree lights? I have wrapped them around empty paper towel rolls, this works great. I also have carefully gathered them up (wrapped them in a small circle)and taped them and store them in bags (one set only) and I have found this is a good storage solution that packs well. I also have taken a flat piece of cardboard and wrapped the lights around and put a small notch in the cardboard to hold the end with the plug.

trackrebel 07-28-2009 01:56 AM

wow....that paper towel thing is a great tip... I will surely use it....I usually just try to roll them up without any help...it worked out alright...but I still have to detangle them every year...not too much but still....

Santa's Helper 07-28-2009 02:15 AM

I just roll them up usually wrapping them around my hand to form a circle and then I just place them in the tote with all of the ribbons and soft stuff for cushioning. My mom rolls them up and places them (1 set only) in a bag and packs them in a tote. I have a tote for ornaments that came with cardboard for wrapping the lights up but I don't use it.

Snow-in-Texas 07-28-2009 06:44 AM

Wrapping the lights around something, like you said an emty paper towel roll, or rolled up newspaper works great, never have to mess with the being tangled up.

Minta 07-28-2009 06:57 AM

We bought several reels that were make to house Christmas lights. We use those for string lights and chaser lights then the reels go into totes or the big popcorn tins. Icicle lights we store in layers in totes.

A couple more months and we get to pull them down to test thme and get them ready. Why is it that when you put the lights away they all work but when you bring them out some don't. It never fails.

joyful 07-28-2009 08:39 AM

If the empty paper towel roll is not long enough, a study empty wrapping paper roll works very well. Also, I save all those twistie ties that come in packaging. They are so nice and long and sturdy and come in handy to store decorations.

I've also notice it's well worth taking the time to carefully pack the decorations for the next year. It makes it so much easier when you get them out the following year and you just want to decorate and not mess with sorting everything out.

LOL, like Clark Griswold on Christmas Vacation with his mess of outdoor lights that his son stands there holding. *You checked every bulb right Rusty, yeah sure dad* NO!

MerryCarey 07-28-2009 03:24 PM

It takes time and it's tedious, but for mini-lights, my dad used to take twist-ties and tie together five or ten bulbs in a bunch, then move on to the next five or ten and make a bunch out of them. It's not fun, but it's practical enough to help eliminate tangles! (Confession: I don't always do this myself when putting lights away, but the following year I usually wish I had ...)

Santa's Helper 07-28-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyful (Post 173422)
I've also notice it's well worth taking the time to carefully pack the decorations for the next year. It makes it so much easier when you get them out the following year and you just want to decorate and not mess with sorting everything out.

LOL, like Clark Griswold on Christmas Vacation with his mess of outdoor lights that his son stands there holding. *You checked every bulb right Rusty, yeah sure dad* NO!

I have color coded totes for Christmas and I keep all of my decorations sorted per room. That way when I start to decorate all I have to do is take the totes to the rooms that are written on top of them and I don't have to sort any decorations out. It makes it so much easier.

joyful 07-28-2009 06:37 PM

Hey thanks for the tips. I hope to see more good ideas posted.

whitney37354 07-29-2009 07:49 AM

DH has worked with electronics for a long time and he showed me how to roll the light strings into a neat ball--one strand per ball. Just be sure to have the female end in the middle of the ball and the male end on the outside of the ball so you can plug the strand into the socket or into another strand. It stinks when you have to drape the strand across the living room and start over because you rolled the ball backwards!