Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Traditions & Memories (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Dinner Tradition (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1535)

Christmas Cheers 09-14-2006 07:54 PM

Dinner Tradition

For as long as I can remember, my family and I have always gotten Chinese Food on Christmas. NO....its not because of "A Christmas Story" rather it goes back to having dinner with my Grandparents. My Grandmother was a terrific cook and she prepared huge meals, seemingly, every time we saw her. One Christmas she decided that it was going to be her day off (or out of the kitchen) so we looked up and down for a place to go out. Back then, Chinese Restaurants were typically the only place open....so they won by default. We ended up going to the restaurant for years and years throughout my childhood and we have carried on the tradition to today even though my Grandparents are no longer with us. We did stop going to the restaurant however and switched to take-out (I know...it sounds bizarre).

That original restaurant that we went to all those years ago was just a happy memory until about a year ago when, out of chance, my wife took me there on a recommendation from a friend of hers. It was awesome. Now we go frequently and each time we go I can't go more than a few minutes with out getting nostalgic.

I'm hungry...maybe I can go for an eggroll.

:merry:

elfworks 09-14-2006 07:59 PM

wow. i bet when you saw that movie for the first time it was pretty wonderful!

xo

sheepsnot 09-14-2006 09:07 PM

I am amazed and impressed and almost, except for all the talking I'm doing, speechless. Did you ever feel out of place when talking about your holiday with other kids? Traditions are so valuable and act as a cement for holding families together, even when (maybe even more so when) they are at odds with society. You have a cool family, CC.

MarthaK 09-15-2006 09:42 AM

Welcome Christmas Cheers!
I have a similar tradition...not on Christmas Day, but Christmas Eve.
Ever since I was a teenager, I have loved getting Chinese take-out for dinner on Christmas Eve. This was something I suggested to my mom once, after reading in a teen magazine that Pheobe Cates (a hottie in the day) enjoyed Chinese for breakfast on Christmas Day. I wasn't too crazy about the breakfast part, but the Chinese stuck around as a good idea.

I do take-out because there is too much going on to cook...last minute shopping and wrapping, friends, church, family, etc. And Chinese because it's filling but doesn't leave you over-stuffed after a month of heavy meals and one of the biggest just hours away. It also keeps the kitchen free for baking pies and dinner prep. ....Mom would go for anything that kept the rest of us out of the kitchen on Christmas eve.

sheepsnot 09-15-2006 10:07 AM

I totally agree.........about Phoebe.

Christmas Cheers 09-15-2006 08:35 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great responses everyone. I remember the first time that we all saw "A Christmas Story" we felt such a sense of connection to the film that it became an instant classic in my home. The film made this somewhat strange tradition more acceptable. The other kids would usually just respond with "Oh, just like the movie." I agree about the importance of family traditions. They truly become part of a family's history and something that you feel happy and pround to perpetuate. It will be fun to see what new cool traditions stem from this somewhat unique one as my own children grow up and keep it going.

:merry:

joyful 09-26-2006 05:11 AM

When my children were growing up I always had Christmas dinner, Christmas Eve. It helped the kids get through the long wait of Christmas Eve, plus I could enjoy Christmas Day with my kids without being in the kitchen. Everything was put in the fridge and heated up on a plate Christmas Day.

I also made breakfast very simple and easy.

It was a great tradition and I'm so glad I did it.

:give:

Ervserver 09-28-2006 02:04 PM

food varies but the family goes thru whole lotta eggnog Christmas eve, with some servings more "spicer" than others 8-)