Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Food (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Question for cookie bakers out there! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15630)

momnan30 09-04-2009 08:17 PM

Question for cookie bakers out there!

Hello friends! My question for you is:
Have any of you ever started baking cookies this far ahead and freezing them?
My neighbor says she actually starts in August and the cookies freeze well for the most part.
Anybody else do this and have any tips?
I love, love, love to make all our favorite recipes, but I find that as I get a wee bit older each year, I am running out of gas a little and not able to get the cookies done without a lot of stress.
Maybe I could start now and freeze, but I don't want to risk the quality of the cookie and what my family is used to having in terms of taste and texture.

joyful 09-04-2009 09:58 PM

I have started this early and put the cookies in my freezer. When my daughter picked the date Dec. 21st for her wedding day, I made all the cookies so I had to start early.
So every week I made a batch and froze them. They taste and look just fine after freezing. Make sure you wrap them well and put them in containers.

Santa's Helper 09-05-2009 03:41 AM

Same here as Joyful, I had a December wedding and we started freezing cookies this early. Just make sure you wrap them up good when you pack them. They'll be fine.

Christmas-A-Holic 09-05-2009 07:09 AM

This is great news! I had no idea the cookies would freeze that well and still have great fresh taste by Christmas.

I use to pick one day in December and bake from morning til night non stop until I got it all done. I have not been able to do that in the past few years so I might try this! Thanks for the tip Joyful and Santa's Helper!

momnan30 09-05-2009 07:48 AM

Wow, thanks for your responses...I'm going for it! More time for relaxing by the tree and eating them!

made582 09-05-2009 08:45 AM

I have made up the dough before and froze it but never the cookies. I might have to try some this year.

Mumof2 09-05-2009 10:27 AM

I've never made and then froze them this early. I have done it in late October and into early November.I just wrap them in Saran wrap,put them in ziploc bags and then in airtight containers,just so nothing gets into them. :)

Santa's Helper 09-05-2009 01:29 PM

We used shirt boxes, lined them with waxed paper and layered the cookies. Then to seal them up we sealed the box up with clear packing tape. My mom likes to use that press and seal inside the box to help seal the cookies inside the box. They worked out just fine and there were almost no cookies left by the end of my wedding. I'll have to see if I have a picture of my cookie table to add to this thread. If I find it I'll add it just to show you how many cookies we had and aside from the 150-200 that we had made for us that were delivered that morning all of them were frozen. We started freezing in Aug./Sept. and my wedding was Dec. 1.

momnan30 09-06-2009 02:46 PM

@Santa's Helper!
I'd love to see the wedding cookies! I love wedding pics and it must have been so wonderful to have the Christmas wedding.

Santa's Helper 09-06-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momnan30 (Post 181283)
@Santa's Helper!
I'd love to see the wedding cookies! I love wedding pics and it must have been so wonderful to have the Christmas wedding.

I'll try to remember to get the pics scanned. It was a huge, huge cookie display!!! We had it roped off to keep everyone away from it until after dinner and once the ropes came down all of the people were walking around it like you do when you play musical chairs!!! The supply of cookies that we had was nearly endless. I loved the Christmas wedding theme. I'll have to try to get those pics on here. Maybe I'll remember to get to it tomorrow.