Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home & Family (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Christmas Eve (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15642)

Christmaschick 09-05-2009 07:02 PM

Christmas Eve

What does your family do Christmas Eve?:busy:

Faith4always 09-05-2009 08:19 PM

I put out all our treats and eats...candies, chips, dips, crackers, meat trays, fruit trays, hot apple cidar, Christmas tea, coffee, cappucino, cakes, cookies...you name it...

We eat ourselves into oblivion. We normally have mexican foods that night for supper.

Then, we load up in the vehicle and drive around town looking at Christmas lights!!

Then we come home, take care of any last minute gift wrapping, kids go to bed early and get up even earlier! hahahaha
Lots of fun and excitement and anticipation!!!

Very fun question!

Christmaschick 09-05-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faithmom6 (Post 181128)
I put out all our treats and eats...candies, chips, dips, crackers, meat trays, fruit trays, hot apple cidar, Christmas tea, coffee, cappucino, cakes, cookies...you name it...

We eat ourselves into oblivion. We normally have mexican foods that night for supper.

Then, we load up in the vehicle and drive around town looking at Christmas lights!!

Then we come home, take care of any last minute gift wrapping, kids go to bed early and get up even earlier! hahahaha
Lots of fun and excitement and anticipation!!!

Very fun question!

That sounds so cool. Wow, that's alot of food! Our Christmas Eve tradition seems to change every year depending on what extended family are doing.

Santa's Helper 09-05-2009 11:35 PM

We go to my mom's house for dinner and opening gifts. We get there around 5 or 6 and stay until about 11. I usually prepare 2 cookie trays for my mom and brother and take up as well as some other dish to add to the dinner. Then we like to load all of our gifts around the tree, take pictures of them, eat and enjoy each others company. Then we put on A Christmas Story to play in the background or some Christmas music and then we tear into the gifts. We usually bicker about who's gonna record because everyone hates to use the camera.cheesy

Solice 09-06-2009 03:05 AM

We celebrate Christmas Eve the same way you celebrate Christmas Day, I think.
We open christmas presents after christmas dinner on Christmas Eve.
Santa Clause is also comming after dinner (eat at 5!), and after we had our walk and songs around the christmas tree.

Wenceslaus 09-06-2009 03:40 AM

Midnight mass. Always a beautiful event, with a full congregation, the full choir, and the nativity story from the gospels. Outside afterward, snow and stars and serenity.

made582 09-06-2009 09:43 AM

We go to my sisters house and order pizza for dinner. Then we do prep for christmas day lunch. My nieces bake cookies for santa and then we open our stocking gifts from each other. My nieces get to open one gift that is under the tree for them which is always new PJs. Then me and mom go to my aunts house to spend the night. Sometimes we run to cvs or walgreens to buy extra little gifts.

belljoy 09-06-2009 10:16 AM

we go to candlelight service at church (6 pm), then up to my mom's house for dinner, then we all open one gift. We make sure eveyone's stockings are hung up on the fireplace (adults too- with no young children in the family for several yrs, each person now puts one item into everyone else's stocking)(the stockings are all hand knitted by me- i started this when my son was born and added one or 2 a year until all family members had one). I usually put stocking stuffers in before i go home on CH Eve..and then we all come back again on Christmas day to my mothers house..but at different times of the morning,afternoon. all of this 'tradition' evolved over the last 20 years or so....but when I tried to change something one year, several family members got very upset and said but we ALWAYS do it this way!..LOL

Yuletide Junkie 09-06-2009 08:18 PM

We attend a 3:30 family service, enjoy our annual Christmas Eve steak dinner, in a decorated North Woods atmosphere, & drive around looking at lit up neighborhood homes. Some of them glow peacefully & others are absolutely spectacular.

joyful 09-07-2009 04:57 AM

I always have my Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. Started to do this when my kids
were growing up so I could enjoy Christmas Day with them and not spend the day in the kitchen.
It always worked out nice because it gave the kids something to do on the night that's filled with anticipation. And the table always looks so pretty by candlelight.

And we love to go to candlight services at church on Christmas Eve.

Now that my kids are grown with families of their own, we still do Christmas Eve dinner but I have learned to stay flexible because things change over the years. And grown children need to start their own traditions with their families.

So if no one is here but hubby and I, we enjoy each other's company and focus on the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus and His gift to all.