Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Cutting down your own tree? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16849)

ReineV 10-17-2009 01:50 PM

Cutting down your own tree?

My husband and I found a couple of local Christmas tree farms and were thinking of cutting down our own tree this year. We usually go to the local farmer's market and buy ours there, but that's only because that's where my mom used to take us when I was a kid and we really want to establish our own family traditions. Anyone ever cut down their own tree before? Is it more expensive than just buying a tree? Did you enjoy it?

made582 10-17-2009 04:51 PM

I have never had a real tree before but I always thought that it would be fun to go cut down your own tree and then bring it home and decorate it. I think that it would be a great tradition to start.

Mumof2 10-17-2009 06:52 PM

We have a few Farms here where you can pick your own tree,decorate it and come back in Dec and they cut it down.then there are some where you go and pick it out and cut it right there.I have done both.It's alotta fun.I would suggest you bring your own saw,some places will charge you to rent one.There is a website I've used to locate Tree Farms,Orchard's Etc.They also will tell you if they have Sleigh rides,what the farm sells.Some are fairly priced.The Farm we went to a few years ago charged us a deposit of $25 and when we went to get the tree we paid the remaining $10 for any size any type of tree.I would call ahead to make sure when they are open,how much the tree's are,and what types they have.Some Farms offer wreaths and seasonal Items as gifts. It's a nice tradition to start,and some great memories to be had.I suggest ya's try it once.I hope ya's Have fun!! :)
Here's a good site to find some farms in your area.
http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/index.htm

Christmasstar 10-17-2009 06:55 PM

I would love to be able to do that. Unfortunately we have to many allergies in the house and have to go with an artificial tree.
Of course, our tree looks amazing anyway!

Chillywilly 10-17-2009 07:40 PM

We have never had the opportunity to cut down our own tree. But it would really be nice. :tree:

Laney 10-17-2009 10:13 PM

We have started cutting down our own tree each year. It is the same thing of wanting to start our own traditions for our daughter. It is fun, but a lot of work. Make sure you don't go on a day that is forecasting rain. We learned that the hard way LOL.

Different tree farms do things differently. The one we go to is by FAR cheaper than any other tree lot or farm in town. They provide the saw and a cart of sorts to put the tree on to bring back to the house where you pay. During the weekends (when it is busier) they have hot chocolate and such for the kids. I prefer to go on the weekdays, though, when there aren't near as many people.

We got our tree last year on December 1 and it lasted until January 6 for Epiphany. I was really impressed. When you cut it down yourself, they are much fresher than at a lot or farmers market, so they last longer.

Give it a try this year! It is a ton of fun!

Santa's Helper 10-18-2009 05:43 AM

I do not get real trees but my friend at work does every year. He and his wife started going to a farm to pick out and cut down their own tree every year. They take their 3 boys with them and make a day of it. Their oldest boy is 18 now so we'll see if he still goes this year or not! haha!! But he said it's fun and that it's cheaper than going to someplace where the trees are already cut and sitting on a lot for you. I think he said that he got a tree for like $18 and it was probably at least 6-7'. I think that's cheaper than the lots charge.

Christmas-A-Holic 10-18-2009 07:05 AM

I have never done that but it would be fun to do sometime. Since I set my tree up the first week of November, a live tree would not work for us since that is very early. I put up my artificial tree in the den. Maybe some year I can put a live tree up in my living room in December.

ballcoach 10-18-2009 07:07 AM

I say try it! You never know if it is worth doing unless you try!

Smiley21 10-18-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReineV (Post 191982)
My husband and I found a couple of local Christmas tree farms and were thinking of cutting down our own tree this year. We usually go to the local farmer's market and buy ours there, but that's only because that's where my mom used to take us when I was a kid and we really want to establish our own family traditions. Anyone ever cut down their own tree before? Is it more expensive than just buying a tree? Did you enjoy it?

Up until I left for college we've always had a real tree. We never went & got a "pre-cut tree" we'd always go & cut it down at a tree farm. I like it, its very nostalgic. As far as prices go they vary. Last year trees on the farm were high because of the drought that GA had been going through. But depending on the height of the tree & the type of tree they vary. But its a lot of fun walking through the farm. Its very peaceful too!