Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Traditions & Memories (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do you have a train around your tree? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19819)

ChristmasKid77 04-28-2010 08:40 PM

Do you have a train around your tree?

Hey guys a HUGE part of my Christmas tradition is a Lionel train set around my tree.

Part of me doing Christmas "anytime" is walking into my local train shop and picking up the new catalogs and stuff for the train then packing it away until its ready for it's annual run.

Collecting little by little every year, I find myself with a nice little collection of stuff--actually this may be the 1st year I set up an actual "layout" and run them someplace other than beneath the tree.

Anyone else into this hobby or tradition?

Christmas-A-Holic 04-29-2010 08:53 AM

I had put a train around the tree when my kids were little and my son played with it a lot. Somehow all the pieces eventually came up missing. I am sure it was my son who lost them, lol. I have not put one up since.

My dad or uncle still has their train set from the 40's. I am not sure who has it at their house but I would love to have that one set up.

xmas365 04-29-2010 12:20 PM

I have never had one but always wanted to set one up. The kids are probably still to young, since they rip the ornaments off and play with them all the time.

made582 04-29-2010 01:59 PM

We use to always have one when I was a kid. Then we kept buying bigger trees until it got to be to big and we ran out of room for it. My sister in seattle has it now and she puts it out under her tree every year.

judesmama 04-29-2010 02:06 PM

My husband would love to but with little ones, I feel like it'd be a constant struggle... last year, my son snuck ornaments off the tree left and right and this year, we'll have 2, so I think we'll wait a few years! I love how it looks, though.

Annette1990 04-29-2010 02:40 PM

No but Kmart used to carry a Disney Christmas Train. Would love to have one for under my tree!cheesy

Adam 04-29-2010 05:41 PM

Someday I think I will have one. :) I think it would be great to have some sort of a christmas train.

Minta 04-30-2010 10:57 AM

We have a small Christmassy train set. Last year a couple of the track pieces broke. We may buy a new one this year.

ChristmasKid77 04-30-2010 01:56 PM

When I drag the stuff out, I'll have to take some pics. I've always had a good ol' Lionel under the tree--last year I was suprised with a great gift--A Lionel "Christmas" locomotive that has a ton of great features--I can't wait to run it again.

For anyone interested, come Oct or Nov, Target actually has great deals on some Lionel starter sets and even a larger gauge "Christmas Story" train set.

That stuff is pretty durable and came down in price. lol I sound like a salesman.

judesmama 05-03-2010 06:16 AM

We actually looked for the Christmas Story train to go on sale last year and it only went down to $90! My husband kept saying if it went to $75 or less, he'd buy it... maybe next yr! Thanks for the tip about Oct/Nov.