Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gifting (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   What gifts have you already purchased? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20241)

Janey 08-05-2010 07:30 AM

What gifts have you already purchased?

So I'm in a very Christmassy mood today!
I know we have the thread about gifts for children, but what gifts have you plan to have finished shoppingl? and when do you plan to have finished shopping by? cheesy

MerryCarey 08-05-2010 07:46 AM

Just received a big, expensive book for my husband yesterday.

We buy gift items throughout the year and keep them in special boxes. Around Labor Day we get out our Christmas shopping list and take inventory of who we already have gifts for, and figure out what to buy for the others. (We often play Christmas music while we're making our list and checking it twice!) For the others, we usually finish our shopping before Thanksgiving, because the malls and shopping centers in our area get hopelessly congested during Christmas shopping season. (We love Christmas, but we're not big on crowds.) Thanksgiving weekend is our time to start wrapping and packaging gifts that are going to be mailed or shipped, while we play Christmas music and programs to officially kick off the season.

(This sounds disgustingly organized, but of course things don't always go perfectly ... cheesy)

Jeniferdwn 08-05-2010 08:20 AM

I've bought a set of Christmas Kooky pens for my daughter, several things for my mom, some shirts for my hubby, and I'm almost finished making 3 journal jars - one for daughter, two for friends, gotta pick up the journals today and finish folding one set of journal prompts. Got the beads to make necklaces for my daughters Christmas elves, just have to string them. I'm way ahead of where I usually am at this time of year.

Christmas24/7 08-05-2010 08:59 AM

I am a year round Christmas shopper and have made a pretty big dent in my Christmas shopping. I like to be pretty much done by Halloween but usually still have a few things to get closer to Christmas (I like to wait until closer to Christmas to make sure I know what my kids want for their main gift).

I don't have my gift list with me (I log the gifts I buy so I can keep track), but here are a few things off the top of my head that I've purchased:

*a set of books for my dad
*a picture frame of nativity pictures for my mom (she collects nativities)
*train sets, building blocks, DVD, for my son (and other things I can't remember)
*dvd and game for each of my girls
*Star Trek "Next Generation" complete series for DH (he's a trekkie)
*fleece to make fleece quillows for some nephews
*tote bags and jewelry for some nieces
*Christmas sleigh of Christmas CDs for some friends/DH's coworkers
*books for sibling family gifts
*book for father in law
*wii game for our family
*"Elf on the Shelf" gift set for my brother's family

I know there is more in my stash, but that's what I'm coming up with for now. I'm pretty much done shopping for my son (he will be 3 this month) but will wait until closer to Christmas to buy more gifts for my girls (10 and 12 years) so I can be sure of what they want.

I even have a few things stashed away for Christmas 2011. cheesy

Christmas24/7 08-05-2010 09:03 AM

ps

And I've picked up a few stocking stuffers as well as some trinkets/treats for our Christmas sock advent calendar. (We hang 24 Christmas socks on a garland, each hanging from a numbered clothespin, and put little treats, surprises, notes for activities to do, etc. for each day of Dec. through Christmas).

Minta 08-05-2010 10:41 AM

I am another who shops year round. I would say we are about 1/4 way done shopping now, maybe a little further then that. Can't remember everything I have stashed away.

We do the bulk of our shopping in Oct and Nov after the kids b-days and on Black Friday. We try to be done the gifts - minus the gift cards by Dec 1st.

MsChristmas 08-06-2010 09:32 AM

I make a list and save it in my computer at work so I can update and keep a copy in my purse so that I dont forget what I have purchased. So far I have bought...

For my oldest son Evan: A "Cars" umbrella, Chugginton trains and track, 3 Thomas wooden trains that he has asked for and 5 books

For my youngest son Dylan: a few books, taddoodles (something new from crayola) and a fischer price pelican

For my Mom and Mom in Law - A picture calendar (althought I havent finished the pictues yet)

Evan is soo easy to buy for (he wants just about everything) and loves trains. Dylan only being 1 is a little more difficult but after this year I think it would be easier for him as well! Also Dylan's 1st Birthday is in less then 2 weeks so some of the things I bought for him Im giving him for his Birthday then I work on him for Christmas.

kelly ann 08-06-2010 11:59 AM

Well, as Toy Story is the BIG thing this Christmas I have bought my son a few of the toys, such as Buzz and Woody, RC and Mr Potato Head. Im glad im starting earlier this year...it helps to buy things bit at a time.

made582 08-07-2010 12:01 PM

For my nieces I have bought:
2 barbie's
2 wii games
2 leapster games
1 kai lan doll
2 icarly dolls
1 my little pony
lots of little stocking stuffers

For My Nephew:
1 Batman figurine
1 Leapster Game
2 Gi Joes
1 Wii Game
Stocking stuffers

For Everyone else:
2 Bath and body work gift cards for $25
1 Electric Griddle

emski4379 08-09-2010 03:52 PM

I have purchased a doll for my niece, fabric to make PJs for my son, stocking stuffers for the kids, and that's about it. I'm a bit behind. I need to get satin to make super-hero capes for all the pre-schoolers. I also need to get supplies to make a doll for my daughter. I may try and knit some wool socks for DH to wear in his cleats. Thinking about making an apron and oven mitt for FIL to go along with the calendar we always give him.

In other words, haven't bought much and have a ton to do.