Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Home (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   New! You better watch out! All New Experience on MMC Explained (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20449)

Jeff Westover 08-21-2010 09:13 PM

You better watch out! All New Experience on MMC Explained

My Merry Christmas is pleased to announce an all-new points/reward system is now in place and it is a feature that is exclusive -- and very Christmasy.

It is called "Experience" and you can get to it by clicking on the "Experience" label in the navigation bar. Here is what it is:

All of your activity on the Merry Forums is tracked. This doesn't mean some guy is peering into a monitor in a dark room marking down your every move. It happens automatically -- computers just love this kind of stuff. And it gives us some fun capabilities. Long ago we thought "Wouldn't it be great to give recognition for the most active folks on our forums?" This system does it for us automatically.

As of tonight, 21 August 2010, I have reset all the tracking statistics of the Experience system. From this point forward, no matter where you participate on the Merry Forums, you could be recognized for your contributions to the community. Here are the awards we look to give out (and we may come up with more in the future:

Christmas Spirit Award -- given to the most active poster on the forums

The Santa Award -- to recognize the givers amongst us! This award is give to one who serves, is active in many forum areas, posts frequently and ranks high with Experience, referrals, reputation and longevity.

Jolly Old Soul Award -- For longevity AND activity on the Merry Forums, with lots of friends and overall presence in posting, engaging in the conversations of others and starting new threads.

Elf Award -- Digs deep into the details of the Merry Forums by posting pictures, attachments, calendar events, makes and has friends, referrals, uses the reputation system and blogs on MMC.

Top Achiever Award -- A top performer across all categories of Merry Forum activity, scoring a very high average overall.

Top Friend Award -- Is very social by having friends, replying to threads, giving reputation, joining and participating in social groups, having referrals, and sharing pictures.

Blogger Gold Star Award -- For the most active blogger on MMC

This is a fluid system. Points are constantly being compiled by all users. If you are here a lot and doing a lot -- you get a lot of points. If you take a few days off you might come back to find folks have surpassed you. The system is designed to reward loyalty above all else -- if you are here and have been here, points are easier to come by. If you are new, you need to give it some time.

So what can you do with all this points you build up?

Go SHOPPING!

This is an entirely unique feature. We have opened our own virtual Christmas shop with just a few goodies now to start with. You can find the shop in the experience area and see the things we have. So far you can buy someone a Christmas tree, an expensive gift or something a cheap as some milk and cookies. We're just learning this whole new art of virtual merchandising so we're starting out small to see how folks use this, how it affects the operation of the forum and what ideas you might have for new vitual items we will want to virtually stock.

The system not only is set up to recognize you. But you can recognize others by buying them stuff -- or giving away your points. (Let the politicking begin! On a Christmas board? Nah...)

All members of the forum -- except for me and for my buddy ElfBot - participate in the system. We want to recognize everyone, even our Christmas Crew who work hard behind the scenes helping these Merry Forums to operate.

Kindly go to the experience area and study what each activity is worth.

Some things are obviously worth more than others.

But it isn't about acquiring points, after all. It is about being a community, sharing and contributing in every possible way. From the posts you make to the profile you put together to the blogs you write to the friends you make here -- it all matters.

This is new to us too and there are bound to be bugs, glitches and questions aplenty as we move forward. Feel free to post your comments, thoughts, ideas and issues here and we'll work through them.

thanks,
Jeff

MerryCarey 08-24-2010 08:53 AM

When I look at the Experience section of my person profile, I see gifts that people are giving each other (e.g., milk and cookies, stockings) along with points I've earned. Is that a glitch? Should I be seeing other peoples' experience on my profile?

Jeff Westover 08-24-2010 09:01 AM

That's a general activity summary and it shows in every profile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 267571)
When I look at the Experience section of my person profile, I see gifts that people are giving each other (e.g., milk and cookies, stockings) along with points I've earned. Is that a glitch? Should I be seeing other peoples' experience on my profile?

MerryNoel 08-24-2010 11:12 AM

ohhh neat..

I got a gift in my inbox of Milk & Cookies... how do I return the treat?

Christmas-A-Holic 08-24-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryNoel (Post 267657)
ohhh neat..

I got a gift in my inbox of Milk & Cookies... how do I return the treat?

You click onto "experience" at the top of page then click onto "shop". That is where you can buy goodies and after you purchase it you can give it to someone. Hope that helps! =)

roccoerz 08-24-2010 12:03 PM

nice idea! Koodles to the team and yourself. I hope that this new system will bring more members and other great things in thefuture.

MerryNoel 08-24-2010 01:33 PM

Thanks.. :)

Now I am addicted to shopping.. LOL :dance:

Jeff Westover 08-24-2010 01:53 PM

Yes, we're quickly getting the hang of this. I hope to stock the shop soon with things like furniture, Ferrari's, fine jewelry, etc. The possibilities are endless.

caninemom3 08-24-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 267766)
Yes, we're quickly getting the hang of this. I hope to stock the shop soon with things like furniture, Ferrari's, fine jewelry, etc. The possibilities are endless.

I know somebody who would LOVE stuffed animals !! Especially dogs and maybe polar bears !! LOL cheesy

Christmas-A-Holic 08-24-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caninemom3 (Post 267772)
I know somebody who would LOVE stuffed animals !! Especially dogs and maybe polar bears !! LOL cheesy

Pets would be great! cheesy