Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Movies (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Obscure Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24051)

dvdelf 05-23-2011 04:48 PM

Obscure Christmas

Revisiting another old thread

Heres a place to talk about little known Christmas films & specials.

First of my picks, The Great Rupert with Jimmy Durante & a dancing Squirrel!!

xmas365 05-23-2011 07:53 PM

Never saw

dvdelf 05-23-2011 07:56 PM

very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnpgXvzslo

trackrebel 05-25-2011 08:13 AM

dat squirrel is throwin it down.....lol

XmasDreams 05-25-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdelf (Post 345055)
Revisiting another old thread

Heres a place to talk about little known Christmas films & specials.

First of my picks, The Great Rupert with Jimmy Durante & a dancing Squirrel!!

Never saw it but i looked it up and i might have to check it out sometime, so thanks for the great start.

I would like to add "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" this was a movie from 1984 stared Mickey Rooney as a grandfather who died before taking this grandson to NYC for Christmas. However he comes back as an angel and then we get to a wonderful emotion of a movie.

trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvA30iynV8

The IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087489/

MerryCarey 05-25-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XmasDreams (Post 345426)

I would like to add "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" this was a movie from 1984 stared Mickey Rooney as a grandfather who died before taking this grandson to NYC for Christmas. However he comes back as an angel and then we get to a wonderful emotion of a movie.

Yes! I recommend that one. I paid a ridiculous price some years ago to get an original VHS on eBay, and transferred it to DVD so we could see it on the video projector. A few cameos from older character actors: Lurene Tuttle and Elisha Cook Jr.

A couple other nominees (sorry, I don't have links to clips):

Beyond Tomorrow, 1940 (often retitled Beyond Christmas)--Three businessmen each toss a wallet out of the window on Christmas Eve to see who will be honest enough to return one. A man and a woman return two of the wallets, and are invited to Christmas dinner with the businessmen, where they all become fast friends. After the businessmen die suddenly in a plane crash, they oversee the budding romance of the other two from "the other side" while wrestling with regrets from their lives. Harry Carey (no relation), C. Aubrey Smith, and Charles Winninger, among others. This one's in the public domain, like "The Great Rupert," so beware of versions with scenes missing.

We're No Angels, 1955--The setting is Devil's Island, 1895. Three convicts escape from prison on Christmas Eve and instead of robbing a family, as they intended, they get involved in their troubles and try to help. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Joan Bennett, and Basil Rathbone, among others.

Star in the Night, 1945--A 22-minute Academy Award-winning short with a simple story and superb performances. A mysterious hitchhiker and unexpected guests teach a cynical auto-court manager about the true spirit of Christmas. J. Carroll Naish and Donald Woods, among others. Turner Classic Movies runs it each December, and it's an extra on the DVD of "Christmas in Connecticut." In our house, it's not Christmas Eve without it.

dvdelf 05-25-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 345462)
Yes! I recommend that one. I paid a ridiculous price some years ago to get an original VHS on eBay, and transferred it to DVD so we could see it on the video projector. A few cameos from older character actors: Lurene Tuttle and Elisha Cook Jr.

A couple other nominees (sorry, I don't have links to clips):

Beyond Tomorrow, 1940 (often retitled Beyond Christmas)--Three businessmen each toss a wallet out of the window on Christmas Eve to see who will be honest enough to return one. A man and a woman return two of the wallets, and are invited to Christmas dinner with the businessmen, where they all become fast friends. After the businessmen die suddenly in a plane crash, they oversee the budding romance of the other two from "the other side" while wrestling with regrets from their lives. Harry Carey (no relation), C. Aubrey Smith, and Charles Winninger, among others. This one's in the public domain, like "The Great Rupert," so beware of versions with scenes missing.

We're No Angels, 1955--The setting is Devil's Island, 1895. Three convicts escape from prison on Christmas Eve and instead of robbing a family, as they intended, they get involved in their troubles and try to help. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Joan Bennett, and Basil Rathbone, among others.

Star in the Night, 1945--A 22-minute Academy Award-winning short with a simple story and superb performances. A mysterious hitchhiker and unexpected guests teach a cynical auto-court manager about the true spirit of Christmas. J. Carroll Naish and Donald Woods, among others. Turner Classic Movies runs it each December, and it's an extra on the DVD of "Christmas in Connecticut." In our house, it's not Christmas Eve without it.

I think I have all of these
Beyond tomorrow is usually included in sets with other movies

XmasDreams 05-25-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdelf (Post 345468)
I think I have all of these
Beyond tomorrow is usually included in sets with other movies

Yea i have it on a few dvd sets some not even holiday related.

MerryCarey 05-25-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XmasDreams (Post 345488)
Yea i have it on a few dvd sets some not even holiday related.

Depends on your definition---The opening scenes take place on Christmas Eve. cheesy

XmasDreams 05-25-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 345515)
Depends on your definition---The opening scenes take place on Christmas Eve. cheesy

I agree it is a Christmas movie, what i am meant it shows up on quite a few Public Domain DVD sets.