Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thanksgiving (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Real Thanksgiving PETA Goes After the Kids this Thanksgiving (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29972)

ElfBot 11-15-2011 07:40 PM

PETA Goes After the Kids this Thanksgiving

It’s that time of year again: time to speak up for the poor turkeys victimized by Thanksgiving. Last year, it was Ellen who declared turkey taboo for Thanksgiving. This year, it is once again PETA. And they are taking their argument straight to the kids. In seven states PETA is launching a billboard campaign featuring [...]

More...

Spyells 11-15-2011 11:26 PM

I've never been fond of PETA. Eating animals doesn't mean you don't respect them. And in fact, some countries eat dogs.

And as a side note the bible does mention that we are allowed to eat animals. And it even mentions vegetarians. Genesis 9:1-3, Luke 24:42-43, Romans 14:2-3, 1 Tim 4:1-4.

MerryCarey 11-16-2011 08:35 AM

Wouldn't you like to see PETA trying to convince some large carnivores (e.g., tigers, lions, etc.) that it's cruel to eat animals?

Of course, the billboard is meant to upset and confuse children. If they want to provoke people, they've done it. But I won't be thinking about them when I enjoy my turkey dinner next Thursday.

Christmas-A-Holic 11-16-2011 10:58 AM

I have been vegetarian for 3 years due to health reasons and it has made a huge difference for me. I do not push my way of eating on friends or family and certainly would not to push my grandchildren into my way of eating.

It is up to the parents to decide on how their children eat, not PETA. I feel there should not be a billboard posted, as MerryCarey mentioned, to upset and confuse children. That sign is a bit upsetting in their wording.

I do agree with what some of PETA is saying, as far as a few meat packing companies (not all of them) handle food, but leave the kids out of it!

frostyman 11-16-2011 12:11 PM

I do feel sorry for the poor animals, I love animals but I have tried going vegetarian and I just can't do it. I guess I'm just cut out to be a carnivore.

gabulldawg 11-16-2011 02:15 PM

I feel sorry for the turkeys if I think about it long and hard,but I still eat it. I also feel sorry for chickens that are injected with steriods so that they can grow to maturity in 2 months...but I still love chicken..maybe I am a hypocrite...but I can't stand anyone telling me how to eat,let Peta do what they want...remember PETA was the ones a few years ago that was caught up in a scandel of thier own!

Jeff Westover 11-16-2011 02:56 PM

I've spent quite a bit of time at one of the largest Turkey farms in the country here in Utah. And I'll tell you straight up: those birds aren't abused; they aren't warm, fuzzy and intelligent; and they never know what's coming. They are handled very humanely, in my view, and not because the people handling them love them -- they don't, turkeys are sometimes obnoxious and mean -- but they treat them humanely because THEY COST MONEY to maintain and process.

I have never seen any suffering there. There isn't time for it. And an unhappy bird makes for a lousy meal, that's their belief on the farm.

Christmas-A-Holic 11-16-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 397457)
I've spent quite a bit of time at one of the largest Turkey farms in the country here in Utah. And I'll tell you straight up: those birds aren't abused; they aren't warm, fuzzy and intelligent; and they never know what's coming. They are handled very humanely, in my view, and not because the people handling them love them -- they don't, turkeys are sometimes obnoxious and mean -- but they treat them humanely because THEY COST MONEY to maintain and process.

I have never seen any suffering there. There isn't time for it. And an unhappy bird makes for a lousy meal, that's their belief on the farm.

These are the type of farms I highly respect! If you choose to eat meat this is the way to go.

The meat companies I look down on are those who treat the animals poorly before slaughter and pump them up full of antibiotics and steroids. The meat is unhealthy too when treated that way.

Here comes my part as being a hypocrite. I don't eat meat but I buy it for my family. I don't always investigate what I am buying so not sure where it's coming from. If I find the good stuff it's not always affordable. =(

Speaking of turkeys personalities, I have been around one who was sweet and cuddly! It was at a petting zoo and he would follow people around and nuzzle up against them wanting a hug. It was funny to watch! :wink: Like I said, this was one turkey, I have not been around other ones. =)

Jeff Westover 11-16-2011 04:12 PM

Turkeys can be tamed, like any pet. But like any animal they have their own quirks, I've learned.

As far as buying meat goes, I agree. We always try to buy our meat in quantities from local folks we know. To be honest, it is more of a quality issue than an animal treatment issue.

I'm totally against animal abuse but like most things I think this issue gets exaggerated by a few bad eggs out there making entire industries look bad.

And other than the Turkey...most of the rest of traditional Thanksgiving foods are vegan friendly, I would think....

Christmas-A-Holic 11-16-2011 04:48 PM

Yes there are plenty of vegan friendly dishes. Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year! I can enjoy it all minus the turkey! The side dishes are delish! :thumbsup: