Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hall of Fame (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   2012 Celebrity Passages (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37416)

Jeff Westover 04-19-2012 12:08 AM

2012 Celebrity Passages
 
Every year we make mention of notable passages in the world of celebrity. So far this year we have lost:

Dick Clark -- World's Oldest Teenager, New Year's Rockin' Eve Host
Mike Wallace -- Famed and feared 60 Minutes Reporter
Davy Jones -- Hey, hey...he's a Monkee
Whitney Houston -- Iconic American Pop Singer
Ben Gazzara -- American stage & film actor
Don Cornelius -- Soul Train Creator
Ian Abercrombie --British stage & film actor
Robert Hegyes -- TV actor, Epstien, the Puerto Rican Jew Sweathog
Farrentino -- American actor
Etta Jame -- Singer
Johnny Otis -- R&B Pioneer

Know of any others? Please post your news and links here as the year goes on.

sugar142286 04-19-2012 12:46 PM

Thomas Kinkade: painter - he wasn't really a celebrity per se, but to me, he was!

Jeff Westover 04-19-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar142286 (Post 433536)
Thomas Kinkade: painter - he wasn't really a celebrity per se, but to me, he was!

You're right! How could I forget him?

I didn't know until reading some of the online obits about him that he isn't regarded all that well in the world of art.

I would attribute that to the mass merchandising of his work and professional jealousy.

I might not be versed in fine art but it seems to me that paintings, like music or film, if accepted by the masses is just as much are as the abstract stuff the art community hails but that no one else gets.

I would be curious to know if Kinkade's demons weren't part of the lack of respect many in the art community afforded him.

Regardless, his was a tremendous loss and one that should be noted in the Christmas community at large because he did much for Christmas, too.

sugar142286 04-19-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 433559)
You're right! How could I forget him?

I didn't know until reading some of the online obits about him that he isn't regarded all that well in the world of art.

I would attribute that to the mass merchandising of his work and professional jealousy.

I might not be versed in fine art but it seems to me that paintings, like music or film, if accepted by the masses is just as much are as the abstract stuff the art community hails but that no one else gets.

I would be curious to know if Kinkade's demons weren't part of the lack of respect many in the art community afforded him.

Regardless, his was a tremendous loss and one that should be noted in the Christmas community at large because he did much for Christmas, too.

I totally agree, Jeff! I don't know if you're a reader or not, but him and Kathy Spencer have wrote some very good Christmas books as well. Very enjoyable reads!

Jeff Westover 04-19-2012 02:48 PM

I read quite a bit. But I'm not big in fiction. I know his Christmas films were widely panned and don't seem to be too popular.

xmas365 04-19-2012 04:16 PM

Saw these three on the news online today:

Levon Helm-singer, drummer of The Band

Greg Ham-co-founder and flutist of the Australian band Men at Work

Jonathan Frid- of the TV show Dark Shadows

Jeff Westover 04-19-2012 06:17 PM

Yep, it has been and continues to be a tough month. No recent news on Robin Gibb and that can't be good either.

Christmasstar 04-27-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 433439)
Every year we make mention of notable passages in the world of celebrity. So far this year we have lost:

Dick Clark -- World's Oldest Teenager, New Year's Rockin' Eve Host
Mike Wallace -- Famed and feared 60 Minutes Reporter
Davy Jones -- Hey, hey...he's a Monkee
Whitney Houston -- Iconic American Pop Singer
Ben Gazzara -- American stage & film actor
Don Cornelius -- Soul Train Creator
Ian Abercrombie --British stage & film actor
Robert Hegyes -- TV actor, Epstien, the Puerto Rican Jew Sweathog
Farrentino -- American actor
Etta Jame -- Singer
Johnny Otis -- R&B Pioneer

Know of any others? Please post your news and links here as the year goes on.

Johnny Otis, passed away Jan 17, 2012

Etta Jame, passed away Jan 20, 2012

Farrentino,passed away Jan 24, 2012

Ian Abercrombie, and Robert Hegyes passed away Jan 26, 2012

Don Cornelius , passed away Feb 1, 2012

Ben Gazzara, passed away Feb 3, 2012

Whitney Houston, passed away suddenly on Feb 11, 2012

Davy Jones, passed away on Feb 29, 2012

Mike Wallace passed away April 7, 2012

Dick Clark, passed away on April 18, 2012

Jeff Westover 05-06-2012 11:38 PM

I loved reading this today from Andy Griffith, who talked about the passing of George Lindsay....

George Lindsey has passed away at the age of 83. The actor, who was best known for his portrayal of Goober Pyle on "The Andy Griffith Show", died early Sunday, May 6 morning at a healthcare center in Nashville, Tennessee after a brief illness, his manager and booking agent, Carrie Moore-Reed, informed the press.

Two of Lindsey's former co-stars, Andy Griffith and Ron Howard, have since expressed their grief over the loss. "George Lindsey was my friend," said 85-year-old Griffith in a statement that accompanied Lindsey family's announcement of his death. "I had great respect for his talent and his human spirit. In recent years, we spoke often by telephone."

Griffith continued to recall, "Our last conversation was a few days ago ... I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say, 'I love you.' That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. 'I love you.' " Meanwhile, Howard tweeted, "George Lindsey-warm intelligent lovable He generated lots of laughs & raised a lot of money for Special Olympics RIP George."


This isn't the kind of celebrity passage that gets a lot of notice because his work was so light-hearted but it should get more notice for the kind of man that he was.

RIP, George.

made582 05-11-2012 04:38 PM

For all of us Car People out there. Carroll Shelby died last night at the age of 89.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rac...bit/index.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin ~ Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1991-2013 My Merry Christmas.com