Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Is Christmas Eve still a big shopping day? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38025)

'Tis the season 05-10-2012 10:20 AM

Is Christmas Eve still a big shopping day?

I was thinking back the other day to Christmases past, and I recall when I was younger shopping into the late afternoon for last minute gifts with my parents. I seem to recall Christmas Eve being a pretty busy shopping day especially for last minute men, like my father. In recent years appart from the last day turkey collection and fresh food shop, people don't really seem to shop on Christmas Eve these days. Most stores around me close early afternoon, some to prepare for boxing day sales and some to let employees spend a little longer with their families (something I agree completely with). I would love to know if other forum members have noticed a new trend on Christmas Eve in their areas or am I just imaging things :lol:. Has the penny finally dropped for people that Christmas Eve is too late to be shopping?

shellie12 05-10-2012 10:38 AM

Well i have a shop and i have found it is a really really busy day
I face i have to get a few friends in to help. they love it all the christmas cheer..
Every year i say am closing at 4 pm it has never happened one year infact it was 20 past 6...
A lot of people pay toys in to me and they dont want to lift them to the last minute..
But as well it is really unbeleivable how many wait to the last minute i have found this last 2 years has been tara, year before i blamed the snow as no one could get away to shop in other towns but there was no snow last year and i think it was worst..
suppose some wood say i should not be complaining and am not really but its christmas eve for me to .

Christmasstar 05-10-2012 12:24 PM

for me, no it is not. I get my shopping done all year long and everything is wrapping and under the tree by then.
I am sure lots of people do last minute shopping as the few times I have had to go to the store because I forgot to buy the potatoes, it has been really busy.

xmas365 05-10-2012 01:13 PM

For me, I haven't shopped on Christmas Eve in many years, I haven't had to work on it either the last 4-5 years also. But the thing I do remember about Christmas Eve shopping was how quiet the customers were while shopping, it was quite eerie really. You could hear a pin drop an a full store with everyone so full of concentration.

judesmama 05-10-2012 01:53 PM

Oh, my shopping is done months ahead, lol! I think it's still a pretty busy day, though. My husband did his shopping for me (pre-kids) on Christmas Eve and he always said it was packed!

xmastidings 05-10-2012 02:21 PM

I have to admit that when I was younger, single and had no realistic concept of a time frame, I would wait untill the last possible minute to shop for Christmas gifts and then I would just head over to the local store and get whatever I thought they would like. Now, fast forward 23 years later (since I've been married and dating my wife), I have everything thought out, have a list, I'm done shopping, gifts are wrapped and I better make sure I'm home all day on Christmas eve to help out around the house... or else I'mmmmm in big trouble with my better half!!! LOL :lol:

made582 05-10-2012 05:56 PM

I would say yes based on our Walmart last year. It was packed and you could hardly get through the toys and electronic sections. I try to be done way before then but I usually end up forgetting something and have to run to a store. Last year it was a micro SD card for my mom's e reader.

Minta 05-11-2012 12:51 PM

The only stores I go in on Christmas Eve is the grocery store to pick up fresh seafood for our Christmas Eve dinner and that is done ealry in the day. All the gift shopping is done and everyting is wrapped way before Christmas Eve arrives. We try to spend as much time home on Christmas Eve as possible watching Christmas movies with the kids and of course tracking Santa.

jayden28 05-12-2012 01:36 PM

Maybe something for christmsas dinner but present wise no,our presents are normally brought in october/november time.

Jeff Westover 05-12-2012 01:44 PM

I personally don't shop Christmas Eve. But I've always had stores to run and I can tell you that Christmas Eve is always very brisk, no matter what employer I'm working for. Most places drop off significantly around 4 or 5pm, some even earlier.