Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Need help with a "100 Christmas Songs" list (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38609)

KWasser 05-30-2012 12:26 PM

Need help with a "100 Christmas Songs" list

I'm very much a Christmas music fanatic. Last year, I started to put together a list of "Top 100" Christmas songs list, to be given to my family and friends, to be aired over the "50 days of Christmas" (I'm the resident Christmas fanatic in my family, but they tolerate me). ;) But I didn't get around to finishing the list.

Like most people here, I enjoy celebrating the holidays for a full 50 days, except my 50 days run from Nov. 12th to Dec. 31st (I've seen others do it from Nov. 13th to Jan 1st, and others from Nov. 18th to Jan. 6th).

So my idea is to have 100 songs total, playing 2 songs a day (one in the morning, one in the evening) from Nov. 12th to Dec. 31st. The key is that I want to find a song (or "songs", since I would play 2 a day) that perfectly captures each day. So on the 1st day, we'd play "It's the Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" by Andy Williams, to kick off the season. On Thanksgiving, play "There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays" by the Carpenters. On Black Friday, play "Christmas Shoes". And line the "uneventful days" with a good variety of classic Christmas music.

So I'm going to try putting together this list again this year, maybe put together some MP3 song collections for friends and family. Does that sound like a good idea? And does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's the calender this year:

Monday, Nov. 12th:
Tuesday, Nov. 13th:
Wednesday, Nov. 14th:
Thursday, Nov. 15th:
Friday, Nov. 16th:
Saturday, Nov. 17th:
Sunday, Nov. 18th:
Monday, Nov. 19th:
Tuesday, Nov. 20th:
Wednesday, Nov. 21st:
Thursday, Nov. 22nd: Thanksgiving!
Friday, Nov. 23rd:
Saturday, Nov. 24th:
Sunday, Nov. 25th:
Monday, Nov. 26th:
Tuesday, Nov. 27th:
Wednesday, Nov. 28th:
Thursday, Nov. 29th:
Friday, Nov. 30th:
Saturday, Dec. 1st:
Sunday, Dec. 2nd:
Monday, Dec. 3rd:
Tuesday, Dec. 4th:
Wednesday, Dec. 5th:
Thursday, Dec. 6th:
Friday, Dec. 7th:
Saturday, Dec. 8th:
Sunday, Dec. 9th:
Monday, Dec. 10th:
Tuesday, Dec. 11th:
Wednesday, Dec. 12th:
Thursday, Dec. 13th:
Friday, Dec. 14th:
Saturday, Dec. 15th:
Sunday, Dec. 16th:
Monday, Dec. 17th:
Tuesday, Dec. 18th:
Wednesday, Dec. 19th:
Thursday, Dec. 20th:
Friday, Dec. 21st:
Saturday, Dec. 22nd:
Sunday, Dec. 23rd:
Monday, Dec. 24th: Christmas Eve!
Tuesday, Dec. 25th: Christmas!
Wednesday, Dec. 26th:
Thursday, Dec. 27th:
Friday, Dec. 28th:
Saturday, Dec. 29th:
Sunday, Dec. 30th:
Monday, Dec. 31st: New Years Eve!

MerryCarey 05-30-2012 02:09 PM

Does this help? It's the Top 100 list for Merry Christmas Radio during the past holiday season. The songs were determined by nominations made on the forums here.

Merry Christmas Radio Top 100

KWasser 05-30-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey (Post 440389)
Does this help? It's the Top 100 list for Merry Christmas Radio during the past holiday season. The songs were determined by nominations made on the forums here.

Merry Christmas Radio Top 100

Yes, it certainly does! I'm going to go back and plug in new additions to my list over time.

To further explain, the idea behind the list is "You can't go through today without listening to THIS Christmas song!" Songs that are perfect for that day during the Christmas season. Or in some cases, when it's an uneventful day, it'll be a "you can't go through the season without hearing THIS classic song!".

So nothing too obscure, this is indeed a kind of "greatest hits" list, but I was trying to plug in songs that were specific to certain days, that's all. Like the week after Thanksgiving, the last week of November, that's usually when they air a great many Holiday cartoon classics (why is that? You'd think they'd wait till mid December), so that last week of November, as a tribute, I was planning on plugging in "Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer", "Frosty the Snowman", and some Charlie Brown music. If I can decide which version of "Rudolf" to use...

MerryCarey 05-30-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWasser (Post 440401)
If I can decide which version of "Rudolf" to use...

I personally like the mambo version by the Billy May Orchestra ... cheesy

Dean Martin's version is fun, too.

xmas365 05-30-2012 09:21 PM

I have been doing the thread "Christmas Song A Day, All Year" since January 1. I have struggled some days picking out songs I want to share, and some have come easy. Sometimes it depends on what mood I am in, or a little tidbit of information I want to share. I have spent over an hour some days picking out one song, or looking for something extremely rare, or funny. I have a few tips on how to select a song for certain days.

1. If you have a family member who celebrates a birthday, an anniversary, or something like that pick there favorite Christmas song or a Christmas song by their favorite artist.

2. For another day pic a celebrity's birthday who sang a Christmas song, I picked a song by Elvis on January 8, Bing Crosby for May 3. Andy Williams birthday is December 3, so you have a whole bunch to choose from on that day. It is a little work to find out birthdays, but I do it to keep my thread going.

3. Rudolph Day, I have picked a song about Rudolph the 25th of every month, you have November 25 to work with.

4. Don't forget the little holidays or special days. December 6 is St Nicholas day in a lot of European countries, so a song about St Nick would work, New Year's Eve, you could go with "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" . December 7, Pearl Harbor Day you could go with something solemn, Thanksgiving you could go with Jingle Bells since that originally was a Thanksgiving song, give that trivia to your friends and family as part of the fun.

It's a lot of work, but most of all have fun with it. I spend a lot of time on Youtube searching and listening to Christmas songs, also go to Amazon and search for "free Christmas MP3 downloads," I got one called Christmas Anthem I really enjoy.

MerryCarey 05-31-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas365 (Post 440459)
December 7, Pearl Harbor Day you could go with something solemn.

A good choice would be "I'll Be Home for Christmas," since it was written to express the wishes of servicemen who were overseas fighting in WWII.

George Broderick, Jr. 05-31-2012 07:57 AM

December 21st is the first day of winter... I suggest The Carpenters "The First Snowfall/Let It Snow" medley... maybe "Sleigh Ride" by Ferrante & Teischer for the second song that day..?

Plus, not that you or your family knows me or anything, but November 15th is my birthday and I'm kinda partial to "Up On Santa Claus Mountain" by Lorrie Morgan and Burl Ives "Holly Jolly Christmas"... I'm just sayin', is all... cheesy

KWasser 05-31-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas365
3. Rudolph Day, I have picked a song about Rudolph the 25th of every month, you have November 25 to work with.

Hmm, it's after Thanksgiving, around the time when all of those holiday classics are broadcast on TV, so that date has potential! :rudolph:

Quote:

4. Don't forget the little holidays or special days. December 6 is St Nicholas day in a lot of European countries, so a song about St Nick would work, New Year's Eve, you could go with "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" . December 7, Pearl Harbor Day you could go with something solemn, Thanksgiving you could go with Jingle Bells since that originally was a Thanksgiving song, give that trivia to your friends and family as part of the fun.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of suggestions I'm talking about! For Thanksgiving, I was also thinking of "Over the River and through the Woods". Though maybe that will be the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, to commemorate the journey we each usually take for Thanksgiving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryCarey
A good choice would be "I'll Be Home for Christmas," since it was written to express the wishes of servicemen who were overseas fighting in WWII.

"Celebrate Me Home" might also be a good one to honor our troops on that day.

I just noticed that Veterans Day falls on Monday, Nov. 12th this year. Usually it occurs on Nov. 11th, but if Nov. 11 falls on a weekend, they move it to the next Monday, which in this case means Veterans Day falls on the 12th this year. Usually, the 12th of November is fine each year for a start date, but maybe I should begin my Christmas season on the 13th this year after all...Veteran's Day is honoring our troops, we don't want our celebrating the holiday season to interfere with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Broderick Jr.
December 21st is the first day of winter... I suggest The Carpenters "The First Snowfall/Let It Snow" medley... maybe "Sleigh Ride" by Ferrante & Teischer for the second song that day..?

Excellent choices! Placing the "winter" songs in amidst the Christmas songs, that can be tricky. the start of the first day of winter is a good place for those songs.

Another hard thing to balance is when to sprinkle in the classic Christmas hymns. "The First Noel" and "Joy to the World", etc. I probably shouldn't do any of those before Thanksgiving...maybe keep those on Sundays, as a theme for that day of the week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Broderick Jr.
Plus, not that you or your family knows me or anything, but November 15th is my birthday and I'm kinda partial to "Up On Santa Claus Mountain" by Lorrie Morgan and Burl Ives "Holly Jolly Christmas"... I'm just sayin', is all...

Oh, "Holly Jolly Christmas" should definitely fall somewhere on the list... :)

MerryCarey 05-31-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWasser (Post 440602)

Another hard thing to balance is when to sprinkle in the classic Christmas hymns. "The First Noel" and "Joy to the World", etc. I probably shouldn't do any of those before Thanksgiving...maybe keep those on Sundays, as a theme for that day of the week?

That's a perfect idea! Maybe the "Hallelujah Chorus" on the 4th Sunday in Advent ...

KWasser 06-01-2012 12:03 PM

Maybe "Deck the Halls" for the day after Thanksgiving, as that's when most people officially start to decorate for Christmas (not us here, but you get the idea).

For Christmas Eve, likely the best song is "Silent Night" for the 2nd song that day (in the evening).

For Christmas Day, probably "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "The Christmas Song".