Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What is everybody serving for Thanksgiving? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42678)

Leighlansmummyx 09-13-2012 03:57 PM

What is everybody serving for Thanksgiving?

In the UK we dont celebrate thanks giving, but this year i thought we would in my home :)
what is everybody cooking this year for thanks giving? need ideas :) ... x

merrymistletoe 09-13-2012 05:36 PM

I think what we have is pretty traditional as far as Thanksgiving dinner goes: deep fried turkey, dressing, gravy, butter peas, sweet potato yams, roasted vegetables, brocolli casserole, ham, cranberry sauce, macaroni & cheese, rolls, & then we have lots of different pies & sweets for dessert.

wow, suddenly i've gotten sooooo hungry...hehehehehe! hope this helps.

p.s. this is usually for about 15 people so if it's just your kids & other half i would make much less.:family::happy::thanks:

MerryCarey 09-13-2012 05:40 PM

Since there's only two of us, we cheat ... we get a takeout order of sliced turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and side dishes from Boston Market (a restaurant chain), and I make stuffing and heat up some brown 'n' serve dinner rolls. That's our Thanksgiving feast, and there's usually enough for leftovers the next day.

Christmasstar 09-13-2012 07:04 PM

we get together with the family and have a pot luck dinner. There are to many of us to seat around a table so it is just grab a plate and find a place to sit down...if you can!
We have a lot of fun visiting and enjoying each others company

Chef Matt 09-13-2012 09:31 PM

Thanksgiving at my house is usually a big event. I make everything from scratch and usually start two days in advance. Turkey, rolls,yams, potatoes, pies the whole nine yards. I need a bigger kitchen.

Leighlansmummyx 09-14-2012 06:41 AM

there is only me, my partner & my little boy that is 2 but i definitely want to celebrate thanks giving this year :) thank you for your ideas :) ... x

Holiday 09-14-2012 09:35 AM

What we have for Thanksgiving is usually pretty much the same with a few variations:

Turkey (my Dad makes)
Sweet Potato Souffle
Sausage Stuffing (new item, old recipe added last year - BIG hit!)
Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry Salad
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Roll
- and whatever everybody brings - it's different every year. There are around 40 of us at Thanksgiving on my side of the family.

Hubbys Family has:
Ham
Turkey
7 layer salad
Mashed Potatoes
Deviled Eggs

I'm hungry now too!!!

Festive Spirit 09-14-2012 10:02 AM

Mouth watering dishes on here! I am also in the UK and hope to have a mini thanksgiving at home too. I lived abroad when I was younger and we took part in the tradition. Once thanksgiving is over , christmas really feels in full swing then!

Minta 09-14-2012 10:43 AM

Breakfest: Cinnamon Rolls and either french toast casserole or a Hassbrown Casserole.

For appitizers I make homemade pepperoni bread and put together a fruit/veggie tray with cheese and crackers.

For Dinner:
Turkey
Homemade stuffing
Greenbean Casserole
Broccoli or Broccoli Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Yams
Corn
Mashed Turnips (for my mom and aunt)
Cranberry Sauce
Dinner Rolls

Dessert:
Homemade pies: Pumpkin and either Apple Crumb or Cherry

Chef Matt 09-14-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holiday (Post 463474)
Sweet Potato Souffle

That sounds absolutely delicious. I've never tried sweet potatoes in a soufflé before but I may have to try that this year.