Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Alone at Christmas? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42996)

MeltDown 09-20-2012 10:56 AM

Alone at Christmas?

Must Christmas be sad when you're single?
I always considered it the most joyous time of year. Now that I am considering independence, I'm wondering how to celebrate and feeling melancholy about the holidays. Does anyone have experiences of joyful christmases spent on your own?

jayden28 09-20-2012 11:40 AM

Never and hopefully i never will,just the thought of it makes me sad,nothing worse than being on your own at christmas imo,really feel sorry for people who are all alone at christmas.

snowflake22 09-20-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltDown (Post 465011)
I always considered it the most joyous time of year. Now that I am considering independence, I'm wondering how to celebrate and feeling melancholy about the holidays. Does anyone have experiences of joyful christmases spent on your own?

No, it doesn't have to be! I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time.

I have spent a few holidays single, and lived far away from family. When I started to feel lonely, I called my family & friends! That in itself worked wonders.

I also sought out Christmassy things to do. I went to Christmas concerts & craft shows, watched holiday movies, baked cookies with friends, drove around & looked at lights, hosted holiday parties, went to midnight mass, etc. It still can be very joyous =]

Continue to visit us @ MMC, especially when you need a big dose of Christmas. This is such a magical place, with such kind & merry people.

I wish you the best! Thinking of you. Happy early Christmas, MeltDown!!

:sparkle:

Holiday 09-20-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltDown (Post 465011)

Will you have family &/or friends around you? What about family/friends parties to attend? Not that I ever wish to be w/o my hubby & his family, but we are so busy at Christmastime between his family parties & my family parties & friends parties - the thought once crossed my mind (only for a couple seconds) that if I were single, I might actually have time to enjoy all the fun (non family related) holiday things that go on all around us: Christmas open houses, shows on tv, shows at the theater, hanging out right here (on these forums) more often...or just staying home & enjoying my own home & tree, BAKING - I would love to cook & bake more at the holidays.... BUT I do not want to give up family OR friends either!!! :smile: I'll be hoping & praying for a Merry Christmas & entire holiday season & beyond for you! I'm sure it's not easy! We are here for you!! :gift:

sugar142286 09-20-2012 12:25 PM

Meltdown: I agree with what everyone else is saying here. I am hoping that there is someone you can spend the holidays with, even if it is just a friend. There are so many things you can do. That is the great thing about the holidays. In my opinion, you should never have to be alone. If you don't have any family, you can always spend it with a friend and as Snowflake said, there are always us here at MMC to talk to. God Bless you. :-x

MeltDown 09-21-2012 10:59 AM

Thank you for the replies, wonderful ideas and nice thoughts! I am sure it will be better than I am imagining it. There will be friendly acquaintances nearby, so I need not be alone unless I decide to be. I expect to lose a little of the joy of the season, since this will by my first independent year after a long and happy marriage. Christmas is my favorite time of year. Thanks for your kindly support and for having this website up year round.

HolidayLover 09-21-2012 07:06 PM

Yes, Indeed!

I've been alone at Christmas for fifteen consecutive years now. Some years I've worked, some years I've gone out to dinner and to church. Sometimes I bought a tree, decorations, music and a stocking. Taking an ornament from a Giving Tree and shopping for someone who had less than I did lifted my spirits. So did watching holiday programming on TV and borrowing Christmas books from the library, and crafting counted cross stitch ornaments and bibs to give away. In short, distraction and merriment.

I also considered Advent a time to grow spiritually. Daily meditations and more frequent church attendance helped me to focus on the spiritual gifts that God offers each Christmas. It also helped me through longer working hours and lonely moments during the season. If you are spiritual/religious, you may find refuge in God by seeking the Divine Presence.

It is easy to think that everyone else is having a better Christmas season than you are, especially when you are alone and poor and disabled. But everyone has problems, and sometimes occasions that fairly demand happiness, such as Christmas, bring the pain associated with those problems into sharp focus.

So, "in long", I suggest that you do things that make you feel good, and avoid those that inspire emptiness. Participate in the fullness of the season, too. Festivities may be successfully conducted for a party of one. There are many group activities scheduled, even in small towns. Maybe you could host a potluck for others who are alone. And, of course, there are online events and resources such as My Merry Christmas. It is my fond wish that you create for yourself Your Merry Christmas 2012.

brent 09-25-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltDown (Post 465234)
Thank you for the replies, wonderful ideas and nice thoughts! I am sure it will be better than I am imagining it. There will be friendly acquaintances nearby, so I need not be alone unless I decide to be. I expect to lose a little of the joy of the season, since this will by my first independent year after a long and happy marriage. Christmas is my favorite time of year. Thanks for your kindly support and for having this website up year round.

Sorry to hear of your situation. Despite being alone, keep making Christmas your "favorite time of year." There are plenty of things to do. Doing be shy about asking nearby friends of their plans. You will not be a burden. I'm sure they would be very open and welcoming of your company. It would probably bring them great joy to have you smiling alongside them. Christmas moments are meant to be shared. After all, the Season is all about giving.

Holiday 09-25-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 466491)
Sorry to hear of your situation. Despite being alone, keep making Christmas your "favorite time of year." There are plenty of things to do. Doing be shy about asking nearby friends of their plans. You will not be a burden. I'm sure they would be very open and welcoming of your company. It would probably bring them great joy to have you smiling alongside them. Christmas moments are meant to be shared. After all, the Season is all about giving.

Well said!! My friend use to come to Christmas Eve at my parents house. We loved having her & she had a great time! What's one more!?!? :grin:

xmastidings 09-25-2012 02:51 PM

I have not in recent years. I have spent Christmas alone (away from my family and loved ones), while I served in the US Navy when I was younger, but I have not done so since I have been married. I hope and pray that I never have to go thru that since I can only imagine, that it must be one of the most difficult and trying experiences that someone would ever have to go thru.

I am very humble and respectful as I say this, but I can only hope that If something like that would occour in my life (I have no crystal ball, I cannot predict my future), that I pray to God, that he can help guide me, give me strength to stay strong, help me find my inner peace and to be thankful and help me to consentrate on all the things I do have in my life and the things that I can share and experience with others.

It is always so easy for someone else to give advise until they themselves is going thru the same things. I agree with what everone has said. Stay strong, believe in yourself, live life for you and be happy for yourself, take each day one at a time and enjoy them all. Christmas is a time for sharing and celebrating the birth of Jesus, stay with your beliefs and continue with your traditions as much as you can; friends, family, social events, church and even doing crafts and such to keep your mind busy can also hopefully help. And also come here, you won't find no other place, that has the most friendliest, trustworthest and delightful Christmas people all year round.

I wish you nothing but the best and sincerely hope that you stay postiive even if at times you don't really feel that way inside.