Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Frankenstorm 2012 - Hurricane Sandy Hitting The East Cost! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44329)

ChristmasFanatic56 10-26-2012 01:35 PM

Frankenstorm 2012 - Hurricane Sandy Hitting The East Cost!

Anyone else gonna be impacted by this?

I live up in NC and we are going to be getting slammed by it.. Todays high is 70 and tomorrow is in the 60s as well (above normal late Oct. temps) and then comes Sunday, Our high is 38 and the low is 27 - I'm sure we will all be feeling this shock when our bodies realize a 40 degree drop in temps within 24 hours... Also calling for winds in excess of 30mph Sun/Mon here gusting to over 60 mph.. Of course it's gonna bring along some snow, could be a heap of snow if Sandy wants to be nice?!! lol

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/...-frankenstorm/

Hope everyone in the affected areas stays safe, and warm!! :cold:

christmas87 10-26-2012 01:52 PM

i might.i live in new york and they said we might be getting heavy rain and strong wind monday into tuesday.hope its not as bad as they say it is..and i heard they are calling it that cuz its coming around halloween.thats what the weather channel said.

ChristmasFanatic56 10-26-2012 02:00 PM

Yup, Mother nature's little Trick for Halloween! :P

We are in Fire Hazard status as well since the storm front will be zapping moisture out of everything, Couple that in with damaging winds, downed power lines and everything it could be messy.. Forecast is already warning about how severe the winds will be, says they will maintain their 20-30mph for days with the huge gusts. Just hoping things will be better than they seem.

MerryCarey 10-26-2012 02:06 PM

We're in Massachusetts, a little west of Boston, so were worried about flooding, wind damage, and prolonged power outage. We went through a little rehearsal last year called Snowtober, but according to the news coverage, this is shaping up to be much worse. We're stocked up on bottled water and nonperishable food items, but we have no generator, so we will have no heat if the power stays out.

joyful 10-26-2012 02:21 PM

I'm in central PA. and according to our local weather experts we are in the direct path once it turns inland and of course when it meets with the cold front coming from the west, we surely will see some of that awful snow. This week has been beautiful, temps in the high 70's. I sure hate to see it change.

ChristmasFanatic56 10-26-2012 02:36 PM

Be safe!! We are without heat if the power goes out too! They just updated our forecast with this:

"Sandy's landfall in southern Delaware would produce historic snow accumulations for October in the High Country."

Part of me wishes it would make landfall in Delaware, Double edged sword really but I just love the snow!

Courtney 10-26-2012 03:37 PM

For anyone in it's path... Stay safe!

MerryCarey 10-26-2012 04:41 PM

We just went to the outdoors store to get some warm sleeping bags, a battery-operated camp lantern, and some adhesive body warmers in case we get stuck without heat and electricity for days. Usually nothing happens when we're well prepared! I may be overreacting to the scary things I'm hearing in the news, or I may be ahead of the curve. I'll find out which in a few days.

made582 10-26-2012 05:12 PM

Stay safe everyone!!!!

RadioJonD 10-26-2012 06:12 PM

Online resource...

Most everyone is/will be glued to the Weather Channel and/or other TV media during Sandy. I always augment TV (ok, so the TV is usually off!) while listening online to the men and women of public safety agencies on the ground from a selected affected area. Raw, unedited audio as they face horrifying situations tells the real story! Mute the TV sound and listen to the online scanners!

Usually I do a detailed search for audio monitoring opportunities for weather events. This time rather than confuse with tons of links I'll just point you in the right direction.

This link will bring up a map of the United States. Simply click on any state on the East Coast to bring up that state. When the state is open, clickable counties will appear. Counties with monitor-able public safety agencies will appear in blue. Click the county and see a list of online radios. More than one radio may be opened at the same time, however too many and the radio traffic gets too hectic.

The National Hurricane Center SkyWarn Nets option at Radio Reference is always active with the latest reports from amateur radio operators (hams) in affected areas.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=9559

Also, in advance, enter into a search engine "radio stations in (whatever state)" for a list of stations local to the action.

Please, everyone in the path of Sandy stay safe and pay close attention to what local authorities are saying! Knee mail and blessings for all!