Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Favorite Christmas Songs - by category (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44925)

redkaga 11-01-2012 09:31 AM

Favorite Christmas Songs - by category

I've tried answering posts about my favorite Christmas songs, but it always seems so hard. Besides the trouble I have narrowing down my huge Christmas song library to just a few tunes, my tastes in a particular style changes all the time. So I tried to come up with a list of categories of Christmas music to make my list of favorites. Feel free to post yours and give your thoughts of categories I'm missing.

The categories I came up with:
  • Traditional carol (religious or secular songs written before 1930)
  • Religious (any era)
  • Early Pop era (recorded 1930-1969)
  • Modern Pop era (recorded 1970-today)
  • Instrumental
  • Kids songs (Santa, Frosty, Rudolph, etc.)
  • Adult songs (nothing you wouldn't let a kid listen to, just adult theme)
  • Novelty
  • Country
  • Favorite new discovery (something that hasn't been in your playlist long)
  • Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time)
  • All-time favorite

Try to avoid repeating (except all-time favorite), even if your favorites cross categories.

Here's my list:
  • Traditional carol - The Holly and the Ivy - Bing Crosby
  • Religious - Hark the Herald Angels Sing - The Peanuts gang
  • Early Pop era - The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
  • Modern Pop era - The Christmas Waltz - The Carpenters
  • Instrumental - O Tannenbaum - Vince Guaraldi
  • Kids song - Frosty the Snowman - Leon Redbone & Dr. John
  • Adult songs - All I Want For Christmas is You - Vince Vance and the Valiants
  • Novelty - The Rusty Chevrolet - Da Yoopers
  • Country - I Believe in Santa Claus - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton
  • Favorite new discovery - Merry Christmas Eve - Better than Ezra
  • Christmas song you love to hate - Christmas Shoes - Newsong
  • All-time favorite - The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole (The 1947 version before his voice got deeper)

Christmas-A-Holic 11-01-2012 10:19 AM

Good idea on the categories but I would still have trouble narrowing down my favorites even with that!!! I will have to think on this one! :lol:

I do think I have a favorite country one and that would be, Alabama "Christmas in Dixie".

You have some fantastic picks on your list.

redkaga 11-01-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 477417)
Good idea on the categories but I would still have trouble narrowing down my favorites even with that!!! I will have to think on this one! :lol:

I do think I have a favorite country one and that would be, Alabama "Christmas in Dixie".

You have some fantastic picks on your list.

I thought I'd have trouble too, but once I fill in a couple songs it got easier. The toughest category for me is the early pop music era since this is the heyday of Christmas music, but Nat takes the crown.

Merle Haggard's "If We Make it Through December" tied with Alabama for second on my list.

Christmas-A-Holic 11-01-2012 10:49 AM

Okay, this category, Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time) I really don't "love" to hate it . I really really wish I liked this song because it is so popular but I just don't like it at all is, "Merry Christmas Darling" by the Carpenters. I keep thinking it has to eventually grow on me but it hasn't yet!

I know I wasn't too crazy about Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano at one time but now it's one of my favorites and I only like it by him! I think it's because when my son was around 3 years old he loved it and asked to hear, "Feliz Navi-bop". It finally grew on me! =)

*I will run and hide now because I know, Merry Christmas Darling, is a favorite for most!* :-P

sublimesting 11-02-2012 08:02 AM

•Traditional carol The Christmas Song
•Religious - Silent Night
•Modern Pop era - Same Auld Syne Lange by Dan Fogerty
•Instrumental
•Kids songs - Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
•Adult songs - Baby It's Cold Outside
•Country - Christmas In Dixie by Alabama
•Favorite new discovery (something that hasn't been in your playlist long)
•Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time) - Christmas Shoes (SEriously?!?!, I don't want to cry at Christmas!), also 12 Days of Christmas - just too repetitive....uh
•All-time favorite - Holly Jolly Christmas

George Broderick, Jr. 11-02-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic (Post 477424)
Okay, this category, Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time)

The Christmas Shoes!!!

Neotericisis 11-07-2012 11:03 AM

• Traditional carol (religious or secular songs written before 1930)- Silent Night
• Religious (any era)- Oh come all ye faithful
• Early Pop era (recorded 1930-1969)- The Christmas Song Nat King Cole but to be different I’ll say : Santa Baby- Eartha Kitt or maybe Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year-Andy Williams (ok its a toss up between those- I can't decide!)
• Modern Pop era (recorded 1970-today)- All I want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey
• Instrumental- Carol of the Bells
• Kids songs (Santa, Frosty, Rudolph, etc.): Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town- Jackson 5
• Adult songs: Let it Snow- Boyz II Men
• Novelty: Baby its cold outside- Jessica Simpson
• Country- Grandma got Run over by a Reindeer- Elmo & Patsy
• Favorite new discovery (something that hasn't been in your playlist long): Little Drummer Girl- Alicia Keyes
• Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time)- Christmas Shoes- NewSong (I don’t want to cry during Christmas!!), everyone will pick this one so I’ll say Christmas in Jamaica- Toni Braxton or maybe O Holy Night – Destiny’s Child (I can’t get with Michelle Williams’ voice its too scratchy)
• All-time favorite- O Holy Night (Martina McBride’s version)

Neotericisis 11-07-2012 11:04 AM

"• Christmas song you love to hate (you reach for the dial every time)- Christmas Shoes- NewSong (I don’t want to cry during Christmas!!), everyone will pick this one so I’ll say Christmas in Jamaica- Toni Braxton or maybe O Holy Night – Destiny’s Child (I can’t get with Michelle Williams’ voice its too scratchy)
• All-time favorite- O Holy Night (Martina McBride’s version)"

I just realized O Holy Night is my worst and favorite songs- wow, people's vocals can REALLY make a difference!!

frostythesnowman 11-07-2012 12:58 PM

this is one of my fav songs...........:give:

http://youtu.be/3cwV3gg9p5c

sgrover 11-09-2012 10:51 AM

Here's my list:
Traditional carol - O Holy Night,
Religious - O Holy Night - the Josh Groban version
Early Pop era - Have a Holly, Jollyl Christmas - Burl Ives
Modern Pop era - The Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seager
Instrumental - Christmas Eve in Sarajevo - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Kids song - All I want for Christmas is my 2 front Teeth - Alvin & the Chipmunks
Adult songs - The First Christmas Morning - Dan Fogelberg
Novelty - We are Santa's Reindeer - no clue who does it
Country - Christmas Time's A-Coming - Emmylou Harris
Favorite new discovery - Soundrack to "The Nativity"
Christmas song you love to hate - Christmas Shoes - Newsong
All-time favorite - Impossible to answer, I love so many! My top CDs are, IL Divo, Dan Fogelberg, Josh Groban, Celtic Woman, Andrea Bocelli, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.