Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   DVD's & Blu-Rays (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   New Muppet Christmas Carol Release (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45111)

dvdelf 11-04-2012 07:50 PM

New Muppet Christmas Carol Release

Tuesday will see a new release of the Muppet Christmas Carol
If anyone picks up a copy of this new version on dvd or blu-ray will you please post here so we know if this release has any edits?
A previous release I own has a full screen version & a wide screen version, but the wide screen which is the preferred viewing method is edited. The song When love is gone, is gone.
I will keep an eye on online reviews to see if anyone reports any edits.

rodmonster 11-06-2012 06:07 AM

dvd

I noticed they yanked the song as well. Glad i still have my old VHS. =)

brent 11-06-2012 08:03 PM

It's a shame they yanked the song. I have never figured out why. I ordered the Blu-Ray release. It should arrive in the next couple days. I will let you know after I watch, but I'm sure that someone will have already done that by then!

dvdelf 11-06-2012 08:43 PM

everything I've read suggests its not included, but confirmation would be nice. I won't be buying another copy as I have 2 now

brent 11-27-2012 09:06 PM

The quality is a massive upgrade. I'm happy I purchased this on Blu Ray. However, I am disappointed to say that "When Love is Gone" remains absent from the film.

Mr Walker 11-28-2012 07:25 AM

I had it in my hand... using my phone as I was walking to the checkout trying to see if 'When Love Is Gone' was included... luckily I confirmed it wasn't before I made the purchase so I just put it down and left.

MerryCarey 11-28-2012 11:34 AM

Just for reference---I found some info online regarding the various video releases and whether they include the song that was cut theatrically:

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" (video) on The Muppet Wiki

This article discusses why the song was cut, why it was reinstated in the video version(s), and other songs that were cut before release:

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" on The Muppet Wiki

Regarding the 2005 release that included both widescreen and full-screen (TV-format) versions: I suspect the widescreen version omitted "When Love Is Gone" because the source material was a 35mm theatrical print, which omitted the song but was in widescreen format; the full-screen version may have been derived from the VHS master, which included the song. In other words, they just grabbed what was handy on the shelf when they produced the dual-version DVD. The song's omission from the current release makes me wonder if the original elements survive ONLY in the full-screen format---or maybe they just didn't feel like spending the money to dig up the original film elements, transfer the song video and edit it into their DVD master. It's the best explanation I can think of for why the song never appears in widescreen video versions.

whychristmas 11-28-2012 12:26 PM

hmmm, 'When Love is Gone' is on the MP3 soundtrack album which was released earlier this month: http://www.amazon.com/The-Muppet-Chr...dp/B009XHHN60/ (and is great!) There's also a couple of songs on the album that aren't in the film 'Room In Your Heart' & 'Chairman of the Board'. Was there a stage version they might be from? Also 'Marley & Marley' has an extra verse that's not in the film...

MerryCarey 11-28-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whychristmas (Post 484234)
hmmm, 'When Love is Gone' is on the MP3 soundtrack album which was released earlier this month: http://www.amazon.com/The-Muppet-Chr...dp/B009XHHN60/ (and is great!) There's also a couple of songs on the album that aren't in the film 'Room In Your Heart' & 'Chairman of the Board'. Was there a stage version they might be from? Also 'Marley & Marley' has an extra verse that's not in the film...

From the second link I posted above:

Quote:

There are common misconceptions and confusion surrounding two other songs written for the film that weren't seen in the final product. The songs "Room in Your Heart" (sung by Bunsen and Beaker) and "Chairman of the Board" (sung by Sam Eagle) were written by Paul Williams for the film. The two songs were recorded and mixed. However, they didn't move further into development because the filmmakers felt the film was already going to be quite lengthy, that the songs didnít help progress the story, and that they would hurt the overall pacing and feel of the film. The two numbers were dropped from the script early on. These musical sequences never made it to production and were never filmed. Yet, since the filmmakers did not just want to waste the two unused Paul Williams tunes, the songs were included on the soundtrack album.

whychristmas 11-28-2012 02:41 PM

ah, ta muchly.