Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tree is going up Friday! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45566)

ReineV 11-17-2012 08:37 PM

Tree is going up Friday!

I was wondering how many of you make the picking out (if you purchase real ones) and the trimming of the tree a "thing"...like, do you invite people over, have them help, serve refreshments, etc.

We've done this in my family in the past and I really enjoyed it, well, I did it in college. I invited a bunch of my friends over to my house and they helped trim my mom's huge Christmas tree all while we ate and drank egg nog. I'm thinking of making this a family tradition. The Friday after Thanksgiving, we get our tree, put it up and invite friends over to help us decorate it. Maybe we can make snacks out of Thanksgiving leftovers!

trackrebel 11-18-2012 12:50 AM

it sounds like lots of fun....I kinda make it a happening for Kandice and I....and sometimes my boyfriend (her daddy) takes part in it, too.....we buy the tree....then put it up with Christmas music playing and and singing and dancing and decorate it...but I loveYour idea of having more people over...sounds so festive and fun

trackrebel 11-18-2012 12:51 AM

poor Kandice....she was just painting another ceramic angel....and it fell on the floor and broke in three piece....lil girl was crying terribly....:(....I checked it now....and I think with the right glue....we can put it back together

JollySteve 11-18-2012 06:57 AM

This is exactly what we do, they day after Thanksgiving. We set up the tree, finish putting up the decorations that have not been put out yet. Then we go and watch our town light up their Christmas tree, come home, order a pizza, and watch a Christmas movie.

ballcoach 11-18-2012 08:06 AM

Tree night is THE thing in our house the first half of November....same weekend every year....2nd weekend in November...a good home cooked meal...a movie...and the tree.

A blessing each year.

reindeerelf 11-18-2012 11:12 AM

We take a phased approach. Just the two of us will set the first (and largest) of our trees up the day after Thanksgiving and get the lights on it. Later in the weekend we'll have some friends over for cocktails and a nice dinner and just enjoy the tree with the lights. The ornaments will start going on the next week and other decorations will be added to our rooms. Then the other three trees go up with lights and ornaments, the room decorations (Santas, snowmen, nativity sets, etc.) are completed, the outdoor wreaths and garlands and lights go up and we will be set for the Season. All this takes about two weeks. (I just hope we have snow this year.) It's fun seeing our house transformed a little at a time to our little Holiday wonderland as Christmas approaches.

Nothing is taken down until after Jan. 6 (little Christmas) and the last of the decorations will be put away on Feb. 3 (the day after Candlemas).

trackrebel 11-18-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackrebel (Post 482106)
poor Kandice....she was just painting another ceramic angel....and it fell on the floor and broke in three piece....lil girl was crying terribly....:(....I checked it now....and I think with the right glue....we can put it back together

sorry for posting this in this thread....i mistook it for the countdown thread....ignore

'Tis the season 11-18-2012 03:30 PM

I love tree night. Christmas songs on, glass on mulled wine in hand and stuck in. Hopefully some hours later I can flop down and enjoy the spoils. We get a real tree for the living room every year and it's fairly hard work getting the bottom sawed and the tree straight in the stand. It never feels like a chore though, just enjoyable.

serena 11-19-2012 09:02 PM

We put our tree up last Friday! We play Christmas music and drink hot chocolate. Its so wonderful, the best time of the year in our house...and every day after we play christmas music and read one christmas story before bed.

Festive Spirit 11-20-2012 12:59 AM

The night the tree goes up in our house is a very anticipated event. We play music, and have festive food and drink to snack to on. Afterthe tree is decorated we do the big switch on and watch one of our favourite holiday films.