Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   No Shopping Done Yet (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48115)

Jeff Westover 12-18-2012 07:34 PM

No Shopping Done Yet

With Christmas still a week away I must confess to having done NOTHING for gifting yet this year. We frequently find ourselves in this position. When the kids were younger it was because we were broke until the final payday before Christmas.

We're still broke but our reasons for not getting it done have more to do with time than anything else.

Usually we'll make a list and Sandy will go one way and I'll go another and we'll knock out Christmas for all seven kids in a couple of hours (we don't do a ton). We have learned that as they have grown up the boxes their stuff comes in gets smaller and the price tag goes up.

This weekend we'll do it all again -- the gifts, the food, the jammies -- everything.

Think we can get it done?

xmastidings 12-18-2012 08:32 PM

Wow! Shopping for seven, I can't even imagine! You and your wife deserve a medal (or two!). And I completely agree with you, it seems the older they get, the more difficult it becomes shopping for them (their piles keep getting smaller and smaller as the price of their wish list gets larger and larger)...

Ahhhhh, remember the good ole days when they were little, you and the Mrs could pack up, head over to Toys-R-Us, and have all of your shopping done in one afternoon...lol! Ohhhh, it was soooo much easier and they were soooo much easier to please as well back then!!!!

Well, I played hooky from the office for a couple of days and we got them both done, as of today; Yea!!!

Good Luck this weekend - And yes, alot of Caffeine does help!!! :lol:

made582 12-18-2012 08:48 PM

I'm sure you can get it done but I don't envy you. I'll try to avoid the stores at all costs this weekend.

I completely agree about the smaller boxes and higher prices. Gone are the days of $10 dollar baby dolls for my niece's and hot wheels for my nephew. Now it's $40 wii and dsi games. The outfits that use to be $7 or $8 are now $30 or $40. In fact it's kind of depressing to look under my tree and see that $800 worth of gifts doesn't even wrap all the way around it.

GingerMel 12-19-2012 08:27 AM

I don't know if I'm done or not. I need to survey what I've bought so I can see if I'm done or not. Every night I seem to not be able to get around to it...other things just keep popping up.

So I'm hoping that I'll have some time tonight to get to it and that I will have enough for everyone on my list. It's the stockings I really worry about. I need to do a dry run...stuff everything in there and see if it's all going to fit and be enough.

I can't imagine waiting until this weekend! Woooo wee. That would stress me out!

xmas365 12-19-2012 08:34 AM

We finished our shopping, our goal is to be done by Dec. 1 so we can just enjoy the month of December. We are still waiting for a couple more deliveries from the men or women in brown and driving the big brown sleigh to come in.

Maureen 12-19-2012 09:35 AM

This Christmas I AM waiting for the payday money!!! The money which would normally have been used for presents had to go on car repairs - don't you just love it when stuff like that happens??!! Can never happen in July!!!!

Broken the back of the food shopping - just have to top it up with milk and stuff. I've got one present en route for my other half and when I last checked the tracking it had left Istanbul and was heading to the East Midlands!!

Bruce leaves for Paris tomorrow (I'm NOT a happy bunny) so we are actually postponing Christmas until he comes home at the beginning of January so I technically have a bit of time and - with luck - might get stuff in the sales. He's not getting a whole heap anyway considering he got his Macbook Pro for his 21st in May!!!!!

Meceka 12-20-2012 10:31 AM

I am almost done ~ I tried buying phone cards for some on my gift list and the system was down, although my payment went through. First time the cashier has ever seen that happen in the eight years she has worked at the store. One gift stills need finishing and I can't find another gift I bought in the summer ~ typical Christmas shopping for me cheesy

Neotericisis 12-20-2012 01:26 PM

Wow Jeff- I must admit I am shocked- you, Santa's cousin- not be done already?!? But hey, the main thing is that you know the true meaning of the season does not lie in the gifts. Some get a thrill out of doing all the shopping on one day- I guess I am the same way, only thing is I get a thrill out of having it done by black friday lol. But either way- I have faith in ya! You can do it!:give:

Courtney 12-21-2012 09:45 AM

Yes, I am glad to say that I am done! Amazon loves me this year, and the feeling is mutual. :lol:

You can do it, Jeff! The nice thing nowadays is, if you run out of ideas, or time, that you know a gift card is always an appreciated option. :D

trackrebel 12-21-2012 10:30 AM

Yes, You can Jeff!!! :D