Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Traditions & Memories (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Daddy is bringing home Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48436)

Murphman 12-21-2012 07:15 AM

Daddy is bringing home Christmas

I want to tell about a Christmas tradition I do with my family every year. A long time ago I read about an Irish family’s Christmas Eve tradition. After the father finished his last day of work before Christmas (usually the 23rd or 24th), he would make several detours on the way home. He would cut ivy and holly, stop by the candy store for treats for the kids, stop by the market for ingredients for the Christmas dinner including a big slab of bacon. Many store owners would slip little presents and coins into his bags as a way of saying “thank you” for the business of the past year. He would bring home these items and the whole family would watch in excitement as each one was pulled out. They called it “Bringing Home Christmas”. I didn’t know it then but when we started having kids, an opportunity arose to do something similar.

At my office, we have a small party on our last day before closing for the holiday. Each of us exchange gifts and my staff always gives me several extra presents for my kids to enjoy. Candy, tree ornaments, and other decorations are usually the bulk of them. During the month, I give each of my clients a Christmas present of country ham slices or cheese straws. I always have several left over for us to take home. In return, many clients deliver presents back to the office including whole cakes, pies, flavored nuts and many poinsettias. A couple of clients always give a small gift to each of my girls that comes wrapped with a “do not open ‘til Christmas” tag. So I have all these “goodies” stored at my office ready to take home. You can see the parallels between my situation and the story above. The stage is set.

My girls are told this is the day that daddy is bringing home Christmas. This evening I will pull the car up to the front door and unload all the cakes, pies, treats, presents, decorations, hams, etc. on the porch. Then I will open the front door and let out a loud “Merry Christmas” and watch my three girls come running. The look in their eyes as they see each item laid out is priceless. They slowly bring them in and mommy is the police officer directing them where to put it. And, inevitably, one of them always asks me if I am home for my Christmas vacation which I gladly acknowledge.

I fun little tradition that I have been doing for 6-7 years now and I know my girls will remember it. Today is that day and I am ready for it.

GingerMel 12-21-2012 08:45 AM

That sounds really awesome. I bet you're excited for this evening.

MerryCarey 12-21-2012 09:18 AM

Sounds like a wonderful tradition! (You had my unbroken attention at "country ham slices" ... I really miss my grandfather's home-cured country ham.)

Courtney 12-21-2012 09:50 AM

That is super sweet and an awesome memory-making tradition. :)

trackrebel 12-21-2012 10:18 AM

very beautiful!!!

SinatraClaus 12-21-2012 03:09 PM

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy hearing about other people's traditions for such a wonderful holiday!

Mumof2 12-23-2012 08:21 PM

That is so cute!

made582 12-23-2012 09:02 PM

That sounds really cool!!

joyful 12-30-2012 04:26 PM

What a wonderful memory for your children to cherish as they grow older. Thanks for sharing, your story made me smile!

Christmasstar 12-30-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphman (Post 489969)
I want to tell about a Christmas tradition I do with my family every year. A long time ago I read about an Irish family’s Christmas Eve tradition. After the father finished his last day of work before Christmas (usually the 23rd or 24th), he would make several detours on the way home. He would cut ivy and holly, stop by the candy store for treats for the kids, stop by the market for ingredients for the Christmas dinner including a big slab of bacon. Many store owners would slip little presents and coins into his bags as a way of saying “thank you” for the business of the past year. He would bring home these items and the whole family would watch in excitement as each one was pulled out. They called it “Bringing Home Christmas”. I didn’t know it then but when we started having kids, an opportunity arose to do something similar.

At my office, we have a small party on our last day before closing for the holiday. Each of us exchange gifts and my staff always gives me several extra presents for my kids to enjoy. Candy, tree ornaments, and other decorations are usually the bulk of them. During the month, I give each of my clients a Christmas present of country ham slices or cheese straws. I always have several left over for us to take home. In return, many clients deliver presents back to the office including whole cakes, pies, flavored nuts and many poinsettias. A couple of clients always give a small gift to each of my girls that comes wrapped with a “do not open ‘til Christmas” tag. So I have all these “goodies” stored at my office ready to take home. You can see the parallels between my situation and the story above. The stage is set.

My girls are told this is the day that daddy is bringing home Christmas. This evening I will pull the car up to the front door and unload all the cakes, pies, treats, presents, decorations, hams, etc. on the porch. Then I will open the front door and let out a loud “Merry Christmas” and watch my three girls come running. The look in their eyes as they see each item laid out is priceless. They slowly bring them in and mommy is the police officer directing them where to put it. And, inevitably, one of them always asks me if I am home for my Christmas vacation which I gladly acknowledge.

I fun little tradition that I have been doing for 6-7 years now and I know my girls will remember it. Today is that day and I am ready for it.

wonderful tradition that your kids will remember their whole life!
Thankyou so much for sharing it with us.