Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home & Family (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Need advise for the fear of flying (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50487)

xmastidings 04-18-2013 05:54 AM

Need advise for the fear of flying

I am in need of some advise and help. I have a profound fear of flying which causes me to have a panic attack when I get on an airplane (I do not like heights). I go on-line and read alot of blah-blah-blah, (at least that's what it appears to me). My wife hit me with a bomb shell last night that we are now flying San Antonio Texas and I'm scared to death of getting on an airplane.

Is there anything recommended (from your past experiences) or advise that you can offer to me and that I could share with my doctor that I can take, do, etc... that will help me out with being on a 3-4 hour flight? And, fyi, I do not drink any alcohol any longer.

I am at a loss here but I do plan to call my doctor to see if there is anything he can prescribe to help me with this task that I have to face...

Thank you~

redkaga 04-18-2013 07:46 AM

sent you a PM about this issue

Jeff Westover 04-18-2013 08:23 AM

My problem with flying isn't fear, it is irritation. I'm glad I've largely given up the business travel I used to do. For me, absorption in other stuff -- music, movies, etc -- really helped get through it. If I was able to tune out the environment I got through it.

shellie12 04-18-2013 08:33 AM

I feel for you and i have no advice
For am worst than you . am like ba outta the a team
there is no getting me on a plane
Heights as well i cant even look at a roller coaster ride on the tv my head and stomach start
I have missed so much because of it as i have been oftered more chances to go places and cant

I have a few scars on planes and that finished me.
so i hope someone can help you i really do as they do say it is one of the safest way to travel.
And someday you may live to regret it as i know i will

Sorry i cant be of any help but just wanted to let you know your not the only one on mmc ~}

Maureen 04-18-2013 08:39 AM

Your wife can't know that you're this terrified or why would she book you on a 3-4 hour flight??? Is it something you've managed to keep to yourself??

gabulldawg 04-18-2013 09:04 AM

I don't know of what advise to give except maybe take some classes that are devoted to this issue. Check with your Dr. and see that He/She may advise. they could very possibly give you some medication to take to calm you nerves. I hope everything works out. BTW the graduation services are so cool at boot camp. You want to be feeling good during this time. You will be so proud of your son and he will be a different person than he was the last time you saw him!

RadioJonD 04-18-2013 10:36 AM

What Jeff said plus George Dickel is my co-pilot.

Christmas-A-Holic 04-18-2013 10:47 AM

I have no advice to give you because I am terrified of flying too! I have been on a plane numerous times and the more I fly the worse the fear gets but no one would notice it, I keep quiet about it. I know some who take something to calm them down but I don't want to go that route. I want to get over the fear in a natural way, if possible. Not criticizing anyone wanting to take something to calm them, I just don't want to. I know my fear is silly because it's the safest form of travel that I cannot seem to get over but I am trying to overcome it. I will fly if I have to but I just do not like it one bit!

Sorry that I am no help but wanted to post to let you know that you are not alone. I plan to stick around here for the advice that will be given to you in hopes to help myself.

trackrebel 04-18-2013 01:16 PM

Jeff´s advise sounded quite well....listen to music, watch movies, play games....stuff like this....and yes...try the doctor and ask him if there is anything he can prescribe

made582 04-18-2013 01:42 PM

I usually take Benadryl to make me sleep. Or course, that only works out if you are in the window seat.