Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Plans/Preparations/Ideas Christmas 2013 (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50987)

Festive Spirit 06-27-2013 03:43 AM

Plans/Preparations/Ideas Christmas 2013
 
Hello Christmas Friends,

We are now halfway to Christmas and with Christmas in July celebrations approaching there is no doubt that Christmas is on our minds more than ever :grin:.

Once summer is over and Autumn begins, my anticpation accelerates with the passing of every week. The start of October is like the official Pre season start for me with plans and preps heavily on my mind. Once the christmas season begins mid November I hope to have a good idea of where I am up to with things so I can savour the final weeks that lead up to the big day.

As we are now halfway there and with Christmas in July celebrations I imagine many of us have started thinking about plans for this Christmas. I have started collecting pine cones from my back garden to make this years tree decorations. I will proabably try and paint them in the next few weeks so that they can dry outside in the warm weather.

Have any of you started doing anything or making any plans yet???? I would love to hear what your ideas for this Christams are so far..........

It will be nice to keep track of it all here over the next few months! :busy:



Christmasstar 06-27-2013 05:47 AM

not much yet, but that is because I am busy with taking a course to teach adults cake decorating.
But when I get back to the Christmas stuff I will be painting a nativity set I picked up at a thrift store a few months ago. It is a ceramic set that has never been painted so I get to choose the colors for it all.

judesmama 06-27-2013 06:06 AM

Well, I was thinking about how I'd like to string icicle lights all across my living room, but it's such a big room and I think my husband might kill me if I put another decorating item on his list! I picked up a few little toys for the kids so far and I got some pretty paper liners for mini breads, which will be great for gifts! Target's toy clearance has just begun so I should be done with kid shopping within the next few weeks, I hope!

Ryan 06-27-2013 07:10 AM

I am starting to make a list of Christmas songs to download as I am trying to expand my music library. I am making an extensive list of Christmas songs, and then finding at least three or so artists singing each song, to see which versions I like the best.

Clark 06-27-2013 08:54 AM

Ryan...I have a few hundred favorite Christmas Albums and songs but if you have not heard Manhattan Transfer's holiday album, I recommend it. Their version of a seldom heard "Snowfall" gets frequent play at my house!

Festive Spirit 06-28-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmasstar (Post 531035)
not much yet, but that is because I am busy with taking a course to teach adults cake decorating.
But when I get back to the Christmas stuff I will be painting a nativity set I picked up at a thrift store a few months ago. It is a ceramic set that has never been painted so I get to choose the colors for it all.

How lovely , you can really make it your own by painting it to your own taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by judesmama (Post 531038)
Well, I was thinking about how I'd like to string icicle lights all across my living room, but it's such a big room and I think my husband might kill me if I put another decorating item on his list! I picked up a few little toys for the kids so far and I got some pretty paper liners for mini breads, which will be great for gifts! Target's toy clearance has just begun so I should be done with kid shopping within the next few weeks, I hope!

Icicle ligts acoss the room would be so magical! I love that. Sounds like you are really organised when it comes to shopping!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 531051)
I am starting to make a list of Christmas songs to download as I am trying to expand my music library. I am making an extensive list of Christmas songs, and then finding at least three or so artists singing each song, to see which versions I like the best.

Oh I would love to see a list of your final selection. I make a playlist every year and I'm always looking for new songs/versions.

Yuletide Junkie 06-28-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmasstar (Post 531035)
not much yet, but that is because I am busy with taking a course to teach adults cake decorating.
But when I get back to the Christmas stuff I will be painting a nativity set I picked up at a thrift store a few months ago. It is a ceramic set that has never been painted so I get to choose the colors for it all.

Helpful hint: According to reliable sources, Baby Jesus did not have a pink blanky.

Christmasstar 06-29-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie (Post 531409)
Helpful hint: According to reliable sources, Baby Jesus did not have a pink blanky.

thanks for that info!LOL

I dislike the sets that show Him lying almost naked arms outstretched on the hay. Really, would you put you newborn like that in a barn? Not to mention babies only stretch out their arms when they have been scared by something. The Bible says "she wrapped him in swaddling cloths" that means He was all wrapped up, warm and snug. So I got busy and did some chipping, added some of that same cloth they use to make casts and wrapped him up in it, then put Him in the manger. Looks so much more real and natural. Painting will be fun, I love to make it all my own. I also have to find some kind of barn to use as a back drop for it.

trackrebel 06-29-2013 02:06 PM

I have donealmost not hing, but my mom bought a light chain for me today...I am constantly thinking of what to buy and when....but with the expenses of a new wardrobe and stuff after the flood of our house....I cannot afford to buy anything before letīs say September....in my mind Iīm planning tho and singing christmas songs!!!

MerryCarey 06-29-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmasstar (Post 531606)
thanks for that info!LOL

I dislike the sets that show Him lying almost naked arms outstretched on the hay. Really, would you put you newborn like that in a barn? Not to mention babies only stretch out their arms when they have been scared by something. The Bible says "she wrapped him in swaddling cloths" that means He was all wrapped up, warm and snug. So I got busy and did some chipping, added some of that same cloth they use to make casts and wrapped him up in it, then put Him in the manger. Looks so much more real and natural. Painting will be fun, I love to make it all my own. I also have to find some kind of barn to use as a back drop for it.

The "arms out" pose is supposed to convey that the Child is blessing those around him, I believe---much as a minister spreads his arms when he pronounces the benediction in a church service. That's how I always interpreted it. You see that pose in some Old Masters' paintings of the Nativity.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin ~ Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1991-2013 My Merry Christmas.com