Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Library (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52504)

LoiS-sez 10-08-2013 11:17 PM

The Library

I was looking for a copy of "Christmas Every Day" and discovered the Library here. I'm always interested in Public Domain stories as I'm a storyteller. I even have a series I call "Keeping the Public in Public Domain" within my blog. Right now I'm especially looking for stories from the Victorian era. I once again will be doing programs about the Victorian Christmas celebration. (That blog has had a post on Victorian Christmas in the past, but I'm always eager to add to it.) I'm new enough here, I don't know if giving a link to that article would be unacceptable. (Storytellers call that "shameless self-promotion" as we know it's an important way to have others find us.)

When I left the section of the Library here and later returned, I didn't see a way to browse the section beyond the initial offerings. Is there a search feature here? I can't seem to find it. The way I initially found "Christmas Every Day" was by Googling it. It can still be done that way, but hope there's an internal way to discover the many features here beyond the initial material for each section.

Jeff Westover 10-08-2013 11:19 PM

Welcome, LoiS-sez!

xmastidings 10-09-2013 04:20 AM

:razz: Hi there LoiS-sez! welcome to MMC! :hi:

I cannot offer you any suggestion, however I'm sure that someone else can possibly offer you some assistance....;-)

Christmas-A-Holic 10-09-2013 07:05 AM

Hi and welcome, LoiS-sez!

While in the library section if you look near the top you will see a search feature, it's right below, "Make a donation to Santa's Sleigh". Just click on that and you should be able to find what you need. If you need an further assistance feel free to ask us. We will be happy to help you!

I hope you enjoy it here!

snowflake22 10-09-2013 07:21 AM

Hello & welcome to MMC, LoiS-sez!!

🎁🎄🎁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerryCarey 10-09-2013 07:21 AM

Hello and welcome! :hi:

I can direct you to a BUNCH of public domain stories in the MMC Christmas Library. I've sent you a PM (personal message) with more information.

For other good sources of public domain Christmas literature, go to Project Gutenberg and Archive.org. Also check out Librivox.org, which has hundreds of free-to-download audiobooks of public domain literature, produced by dedicated volunteers. (I know they'd love to have you as a volunteer reader, with your interest in public domain literature!) Each audiobook entry in their catalog includes a link to the material from which it is read. All these sources are searchable.

You might also go to Google Books and search for digital copies of the old Saint Nicholas Magazine for children. I've found numerous public-domain Christmas stories there.

MerryCarey 10-09-2013 07:33 AM

P.S. There's a row of tabs near the top of the forum home page: Forum Home, Quick Links, etc. Next to the last tab is Search---give that a try. If you don't see the Search tab, you may have to expand your browser window to its fullest width. Or click the link I've embedded. Happy hunting!

(Christmas-a-Holic beat me to it while I was still typing!)

xmas365 10-09-2013 07:53 AM

Welcome!!!

Bradmac 10-09-2013 01:06 PM

Welcome to MMC, LoiS! cheesy
:welcome:

made582 10-09-2013 01:18 PM

Hello and Welcome!!!!!!

Meceka 10-09-2013 05:16 PM

Welcome to MMC!

sugar142286 10-13-2013 07:58 PM

Hi and welcome to MMC! :transform:

irishsnow 10-27-2013 05:37 PM

Hello and Welcome

:welcome:

Geoff5 11-15-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoiS-sez (Post 562988)
I was looking for a copy of "Christmas Every Day" and discovered the Library here. I'm always interested in Public Domain stories as I'm a storyteller. I even have a series I call "Keeping the Public in Public Domain" within my blog. Right now I'm especially looking for stories from the Victorian era. I once again will be doing programs about the Victorian Christmas celebration. (That blog has had a post on Victorian Christmas in the past, but I'm always eager to add to it.) I'm new enough here, I don't know if giving a link to that article would be unacceptable. (Storytellers call that "shameless self-promotion" as we know it's an important way to have others find us.)

When I left the section of the Library here and later returned, I didn't see a way to browse the section beyond the initial offerings. Is there a search feature here? I can't seem to find it. The way I initially found "Christmas Every Day" was by Googling it. It can still be done that way, but hope there's an internal way to discover the many features here beyond the initial material for each section.

Hello Lois-sez,

One of my favorite pastimes is to troll music libraries for public domain songs. As a writer, I feel a sort of kinship with all those who have gone before, because all of our collective works eventually end up in the public domain. Many Christmas songs that I have copywritten, I may not release commercially, and that makes me sad for them. I have 8 public domain songs on my current release, and we're in the studio working on at least a dozen more. I think we all owe it to our forebears not to let their creative works sit collecting dust. There's some very good stuff there.

Thanks for your work with the Public Domain and welcome!

Geoff

HomemakinGirl 11-15-2013 03:58 AM

Welcome :-D

HollyJolly 12-06-2013 08:52 PM

Welcome!

Do you have any video or audio links online which showcase your storytelling? If so, please PM me!