Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Food (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Have you started planning menus yet? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52620)

WinterGirl 10-15-2013 10:43 AM

Have you started planning menus yet?

I pulled out some fall decorations this past weekend, which got me excited to start planning! It will just be me, DH, and the kids this year.

For Thanksgiving, we're doing turkey, my mom's stuffing (bread, liver, apples, celery, sage), cheesy mashed potatoes, mushrooms stuffed with Stilton, cranberry sauce, corn and chard (tradition), pumpkin pie, and baked apples.

For Christmas, I think we'll do a pork tenderloin, stuffed mushrooms, mashed potatoes, my DH's special holiday green beans in a delicious sauce, sweet potatoes, and eggnog. We usually get up really early and have bagel sandwiches and holiday coffee for breakfast.

I'm getting quite excited!!

snowflake22 10-15-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterGirl (Post 564328)
I pulled out some fall decorations this past weekend, which got me excited to start planning! It will just be me, DH, and the kids this year.

For Thanksgiving, we're doing turkey, my mom's stuffing (bread, liver, apples, celery, sage), cheesy mashed potatoes, mushrooms stuffed with Stilton, cranberry sauce, corn and chard (tradition), pumpkin pie, and baked apples.

For Christmas, I think we'll do a pork tenderloin, stuffed mushrooms, mashed potatoes, my DH's special holiday green beans in a delicious sauce, sweet potatoes, and eggnog. We usually get up really early and have bagel sandwiches and holiday coffee for breakfast.

I'm getting quite excited!!

Your menus sound amazing!!!

You're making me hungry, in fact!! :)

I haven't started planning yet, but I need to!!

🍂🍁🍂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christmas87 10-15-2013 12:21 PM

sounds good.i havent done all of mine yet.i know i have an idea for christmas which is prob a pork roast or pernil.but not sure if im doing cuban sandwiches on christmas eve or christmas day with the left over pork.it pays to be cuban cuz i make a mean cuban sandwich.and not made with mustard if you ever had one.

Minta 10-15-2013 12:34 PM

Your menu sounds awesome.

Yes i have started planning

Thankgiving: Pre dinner snack: homemade pepperoni bead
Dinner: Turkey, sage, celery and onion stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, toss up between yams or roasted butter nut squash, corn, carrots, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and apple crumb pie.

Christmas Eve: we do our version of the 7 fishes dinner: Spaghetti with steamed shrimped and sauteed scallops in a tomatoe sauce, homemade crab cakes, steamed clams, flounder cooked in white wine and lemon juice, haddock (breaded and baked)and undecided on the last one. Still deciding on the dessert.

Christmas Dinner : this year we are doing either Prime Rib or a Beef roast, homemade mac and cheese, corn, peas, broccoli and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and Apple crumb pie.

MerryBells 10-16-2013 12:06 PM

What's to plan? If we don't have the traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, our families would revolt! These consist of;

THANKSGIVING;
Turkey
Cabbage dressing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes with apples
Corn with sweet red peppers
Green Bean casserole
Sauerkraut with tomatoes
Cranberries
Crescent rolls
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

CHRISTMAS
Turkey
Cabbage dressing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes with apples
Corn Pudding
Green Beans
Sauerkraut
Cranberries
Crescent rolls
Yule Log Roll (Chocolate cake rolled around white chocolate mousse, covered with 7 minute frosting)

Oh gosh, now I'm hungry!

christmas87 10-16-2013 02:23 PM

that all sounds good especially the christmas eve dinner.i love spaghetti with shrimp and scallops but in fra diavolo sauce.I might even make that this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minta (Post 564373)
Your menu sounds awesome.

Yes i have started planning

Thankgiving: Pre dinner snack: homemade pepperoni bead
Dinner: Turkey, sage, celery and onion stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, toss up between yams or roasted butter nut squash, corn, carrots, cranberry sauce and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and apple crumb pie.

Christmas Eve: we do our version of the 7 fishes dinner: Spaghetti with steamed shrimped and sauteed scallops in a tomatoe sauce, homemade crab cakes, steamed clams, flounder cooked in white wine and lemon juice, haddock (breaded and baked)and undecided on the last one. Still deciding on the dessert.

Christmas Dinner : this year we are doing either Prime Rib or a Beef roast, homemade mac and cheese, corn, peas, broccoli and dinner rolls. Dessert: pumpkin pie and Apple crumb pie.

GingerMel 10-17-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterGirl (Post 564328)
mushrooms stuffed with Stilton

WHAAAAA?!? That's my favorite cheese. I never thought of stuffing it into mushrooms. I usually just eat it after dinner with a good port.

gabulldawg 10-17-2013 10:34 PM

We are having Thanksgiving in Utah since it's our first year here and both my family and my inlaws are coming.!!!yikes!!!! so far all I know is I am making my grand ma-ma's 3 milk cake. I grew up eating those cakes as a kid brings back so many memories...and best yet they are so easy to make. I will probably make one for Christmas too. I am leaving the Turkey and ham to my wife.
We are flying to Oregon to my mom's house this year and my mom always has the best food I am sure we will still have the basic turkey and ham and all the sides...hmm I can't wait!!!

WinterGirl 10-19-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerMel (Post 565121)
WHAAAAA?!? That's my favorite cheese. I never thought of stuffing it into mushrooms. I usually just eat it after dinner with a good port.

It's delicious! I usually roast portobello mushrooms in the roasting pan with the turkey or pork. When I take everything out, I crumble a bunch of Stilton on the top and broil them until the cheese is melted. It's become my favorite part of the meal!!

novelist 10-19-2013 05:12 PM

:merry:Our menu doesn't really change for either Thanksgiving or Christmas day. The only thing I'm not sure about yet is Christmas Eve. if we're staying home, I'll make a variety of appetizers, and my husband and I will celebrate the night with my step sons and dil. If my husband;s family has their annual holiday get to get together, then we'll be going to one of my husband's siblings house, so we'll eat there.