Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halloween (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How old is too old to go Trick-or-Treating (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52785)

xmastidings 10-22-2013 06:32 AM

How old is too old to go Trick-or-Treating

How old is being too old to go Trick-or-Treating, especially this day and age where kids just want to grow up so fast. My daughter, (who, I have to say, is in her 2nd year of college) wants to go Trick-or Treating this year with a group of her friends. Now, get this, they are all planning to dress up in characters, like the cartoon show (Superfriends).

Now my daughter, is a little thing (95 lbs wet behind the ears) and she wants to dress up as superman and go out and have some fun. She bought her costume and it has the cape and all; she loves it. While she was home on a short break, she put it on and was running thru the house with her cape flapping in the wind...I thought it was kind of cool!

She does not drive nor have her license nor likes to drink alcohol or anything like that. She likes to have fun in that kid like kind of way, sort of being free-spirited, energetic and in some ways, child like. For once, I see some kids, (all of them 18 and 19 year olds) well, that still want to be kids yet! I think it is a grand thing for them to still want to have fun in that way, do you agree? Thanks~

Jeff Westover 10-22-2013 07:04 AM

Good topic. I have kids from 11 to 27 -- this is a timely discussion in our home. They want badly to go out and I won't let them. We're having a party, going to let them decorate, dress up and spook the older kids who come by.

But we're focusing on serving the little ones in our area. The house is big enough to have an "entrance" for the big teenagers -- they're calling it the Tunnel of Doom -- and we have a separate one for Happy Ghosts, where the little ones will feel welcomed.

But as for going door to door -- no.

Holiday 10-22-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmastidings (Post 566123)
How old is being too old to go Trick-or-Treating, especially this day and age where kids just want to grow up so fast. My daughter, (who, I have to say, is in her 2nd year of college) wants to go Trick-or Treating this year with a group of her friends. Now, get this, they are all planning to dress up in characters, like the cartoon show (Superfriends).

Now my daughter, is a little thing (95 lbs wet behind the ears) and she wants to dress up as superman and go out and have some fun. She bought her costume and it has the cape and all; she loves it. While she was home on a short break, she put it on and was running thru the house with her cape flapping in the wind...I thought it was kind of cool!

She does not drive nor have her license nor likes to drink alcohol or anything like that. She likes to have fun in that kid like kind of way, sort of being free-spirited, energetic and in some ways, child like. For once, I see some kids, (all of them 18 and 19 year olds) well, that still want to be kids yet! I think it is a grand thing for them to still want to have fun in that way, do you agree? Thanks~

It sounds like she will have a lot of fun with it!!! We don't have kids, so I'm not a big help, but I will say that my nieces/nephews came to our house dressed up all through high school with their friends. They would go to houses of people they knew - other friends, our house, etc. I loved that they still stopped in! Now the youngest of them are in college farther away, so I don't get their yearly haunting anymore! Lol! Hope she has a great time. Always fun to get together with friends & do something out of the ordinary!!

xmastidings 10-22-2013 10:52 AM

I have to add this as an additional thought to the Topic. There is one thing that I really don't care too much for, is that when teenage kids to come to the house Trick-or-Treating and they are not wearing a costume, have no mask, no nothing, except for an open hand.

But, I do make them say Trick-or-Treat at least before I give them any candy....

whitney37354 10-22-2013 02:16 PM

I stopped at sixth grade. DD is now in third grade, so I think we have a couple of years left. After that, she can dress up and go to a party, but not trick-or-treating. I didn't like it when teenagers came to my house to get candy, not dressed up, with just a grocery bag & no thank yous.

deffenm 10-22-2013 02:21 PM

I say if they take the time to dress up and are being curteous and respectful then by all means have fun! My oldest is 14 and is trying to decide if he wants to go out or stay home and pass out candy. I told him if he wants to go out he needs to dress up so I think he will be staying home. I don't like kids who just show up in PJ's or street clothes with a pillow case.

Jeff Westover 10-22-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deffenm (Post 566271)
I say if they take the time to dress up and are being curteous and respectful then by all means have fun! My oldest is 14 and is trying to decide if he wants to go out or stay home and pass out candy. I told him if he wants to go out he needs to dress up so I think he will be staying home. I don't like kids who just show up in PJ's or street clothes with a pillow case.

A few years back we had a kid show up like this. I was in the middle of a remodel project and we had all of our food storage stuff in a closet by the front door. This kid just stood there staring, didn't say a word, wasn't dressed up, just had the pillow case.

Too bad for him that i answered the door. He would have scared the girls to death with that stare of his.

I was in a mood and grabbed one of those small cans of tomato paste, fully expecting it to be thrown through one of my windows and spread all over one of my cars.

I threw it in there so fast he couldn't see what it was but by the heft of it he felt like he really scored and he smiled broadly and did say thank you.

I sat there waiting for a reaction...after about 15 seconds, long after he had left my walk I heard loud laughter and cautiously walked out to by my garage and saw him with two other boys, on the lawn, rolling with laughter. They were passing the tomato paste between each other's bags as I watched them walk down the street.

Nothing ever came of it but my wife was furious with me because she said the can I gave him was old and past his expiration date.

GingerMel 10-22-2013 05:28 PM

Honestly, if you show up to my house...no matter how old you are...if you're in costume and say "Trick or Treat" you WILL get candy from me.

I don't care how old you are.

xmastidings 10-22-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 566326)
A few years back we had a kid show up like this. I was in the middle of a remodel project and we had all of our food storage stuff in a closet by the front door. This kid just stood there staring, didn't say a word, wasn't dressed up, just had the pillow case.

Too bad for him that i answered the door. He would have scared the girls to death with that stare of his.

I was in a mood and grabbed one of those small cans of tomato paste, fully expecting it to be thrown through one of my windows and spread all over one of my cars.

I threw it in there so fast he couldn't see what it was but by the heft of it he felt like he really scored and he smiled broadly and did say thank you.

I sat there waiting for a reaction...after about 15 seconds, long after he had left my walk I heard loud laughter and cautiously walked out to by my garage and saw him with two other boys, on the lawn, rolling with laughter. They were passing the tomato paste between each other's bags as I watched them walk down the street.

Nothing ever came of it but my wife was furious with me because she said the can I gave him was old and past his expiration date.

:lol: LOL.... Now that is hillarious!!! Hmmmm, I might have to remember that one~ :lol:

Christmasstar 10-22-2013 06:30 PM

My son loves halloween and trick or treating, he takes a bunch of the neighborhood kids out and has a great time with them. If he was to go by himself I would say no, but we have a lot ao single moms around here who really appreciate him taking the time to do this. There is usually a group of about 10 kids + adults.