Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   25 Days of Christmas without cable (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53067)

redkaga 11-02-2013 03:34 PM

25 Days of Christmas without cable

Since my wife grew up without cable TV, she won the battle when we got married and we never have signed up for a cable service. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime and a nice library of DVDs and downloads, but this year I suggested we add even basic cable to have access to ABC Family and other channels showing Christmas movies and specials.

Well my wife won another battle when she had a better idea. Armed with a list of movies and specials and the Cricut craft cutter she got for Mother's Day, she went to work on a secret project. It's not finished yet, but she's basically created a 25 Days of Christmas calendar just for our family. Like a typical Advent calendar it has 25 boxes counting down the days from December 1, and each day will have a different movie or episode(s) from our family's list. I don't know exactly how it'll look as a completed product or how we decide who gets which day, but it's an impressive way to combine her loves of crafting, her family, and Christmas.

Jeff Westover 11-02-2013 03:47 PM

That's awesome. We don't have cable either...and we've never watched anything but our own schedule when it comes to Christmas. We have MORE stuff than we have time to watch during the season. In fact, the biggest argument is the one where we discuss what we will skip this year.

sugar142286 11-02-2013 04:17 PM

Such a great idea, redkaga! Jeff - I know what you mean about there being so much on. I look forward to watching the specials every year and then there is so much on, we can't decide what to watch!

ballcoach 11-03-2013 08:12 AM

Awesome!

brittd19 11-03-2013 09:06 AM

That is a cool idea!! Times like these make me wish I was crafty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

novelist 11-03-2013 02:06 PM

:merry:What a nice idea Redkada. We have DishNetwork, and Netflix too, along with a nice collection of DVD's. Besides the movies from Neflix we get through the mail, we also have the Roku box where we can watch Netflix movie instantly. This holiday season, we won't be without a Christmas movie . Like so many others here, it will just be a matter of what to watch!

brent 11-03-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover (Post 569356)
That's awesome. We don't have cable either...and we've never watched anything but our own schedule when it comes to Christmas. We have MORE stuff than we have time to watch during the season. In fact, the biggest argument is the one where we discuss what we will skip this year.

As strange as it might sound, I would love to be an observer for such an "argument." It would be great to hear everyone's suggestions and reasoning.

GingerMel 11-03-2013 06:20 PM

I normally have cable but this year I'm learning to live without it.

I think I watched every Hallmark Channel Christmas movie last year so I am really only missing the new ones. No biggie. I can deal with it.

I'm glad you guys put a positive spin onto not having cable!

Festive Spirit 11-04-2013 01:20 AM

That is such a creative idea! How fun!

redkaga 11-07-2013 09:41 AM

Well, our 25 days of Christmas calendar is almost finished. The other night my wife wrote down a list family-friendly Christmas movies and specials. All the usual titles were represented from A Christmas Story, White Christmas, and The Santa Clause(s) to Charlie Brown, Garfield and Rankin-Bass specials. My wife assigned each of us a Christmas icon - snowflakes for our youngest daughter, trees for our oldest, bulbs for her, and Santa for me - and we went in order from youngest to oldest picking a single feature film or a couple specials. She wrote those titles on one of our icons and we placed it on the calendar. Now we have our own 25 days of Christmas calendar of viewing.

We had lots more on the list than we had spaces on the calendar, but we agreed that we could always add something to the viewing schedule, especially on the weekends or after the kids are on break from school!

My wife still has some surprise up her sleeve… she insists that the 25th space will be filled in with something special.

http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/pi...pictureid=8074