Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The count down to Christmas. (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601)

SnowAngelChristmas 11-25-2005 07:31 AM

The count down to Christmas.

Only 29 days (for me) until Christmas.

As the day comes closer, stores become packed. If you would like to share any adventures through shopping for gifts, this is the place. Or Tell if you had to work the day after Thankgiving at a store. Or if you don't have any "adventures" to share with us tell us how you do it!?

Jeff Westover 11-25-2005 08:35 AM

Great topic, SnowAngel!

Gotta tell ya, today was the earliest I have ever gotten up for Black Friday -- 4:00am. I'm nota Black Friday shopper, I am an observer. Of course, I'm working today but before I go to work I usually look around and try to gauge how the season is going to go retail-wise each year. It is my own personal business barometer, as I'm in retail too.

All my instincts in setting up my stores and training my people over the last couple of months have told me this could be the biggest Christmas in seven or eight years. Everything I saw this morning convinces me that is still true.

I cruised by Best Buy, as I usually do first thing. And as usual, I didn't even get out of the car. The line was wrapped around their building, all the way back through their parking lot, down the side of a Home Depot and even further still about 300 feet down the street. I don't get that. Their ads specifically state they only have about 20 units each of the hot-priced stuff and even then there weren't all that many special items.

Following course, I cruised Wal Mart and got there about 15 minutes before they opened at 5am. Pandemonium. Their ad did nothing for me this year so I didn't even stick around for the fireworks.

I happened to be listening to the radio and heard that Target would be open at 5am. I was right there and saw only about 20 people in line so I thought, what the heck, I'll go for it.

I stopped and chatted with people there for a while until a man came out and said what we had all heard on the radio was wrong and it would be another hour before they opened at 6am. It was 22 degrees outside and, having nothing to really buy, I left to get warm.

I drove over to Penneys and saw they were open at 5am. Just like the last several years I decided to get my Disney snowglobe.

Now here's the kicker:

Last year when I was in Penneys it was deserted. But not this year. Ok, I was a little later this year than last but people were buying a lot.

We're really short on money this year so I really had nothing to buy. But when I saw I could get the kids some coats for 60% I bit the bullet and made the buy. Amazing. Six of my kids got coats and I spent about $120. So I became a Black Friday buyer afterall.

Here it is now, a little after 8am and I'm supposed to be working.

But the day after Thanksgiving is never a big deal in the candy business. Oh, we'll have a nice day. But it won't get busy until later on this afternoon.

I'll be ready for a nap by then.

Jeff

sheepsnot 11-25-2005 08:46 PM

I have taken a 2nd job at Bass Pro and heard that several hundred people were there at opening (6am) today. I got up at 6:30 and went in at nine. I am not a crowd lover. I even prefer to watch the blockbuster films after they have died down and are only showing on one screen. As for shopping, one of the truest blessings I have experienced in married life is that I have one person to buy gifts for and one only. She buys all the rest and loves every minute of it. I can concentrate on decorating and focusing the family on the "real" meaning of Christmas, which is different for everybody. :) :D 8)

SnowAngelChristmas 11-26-2005 03:44 PM

Only 28!

My Brother works at wal-mart and he works from around 10:00 pm - 7:00 am so he gets to see all the people swarm for gifts. Last year when they opened at 5:00 am he was with the electronics and once they opened it was like an army running in for gifts. I hope he made it okay this year.

SnowAngelChristmas 11-29-2005 04:59 PM

Only 25!

i was very busy the past few days so i couldn't get to posting. I got a miniture REAL tree in my room. Love it! Still gotta put up the family tree. Just finished for the day decorating. Not saying i don't have any left. to be truthful, almost my whole downstairs is covered with boxes of Christmas joy.

Saxomaphone 11-29-2005 06:08 PM

My tree in my room is up. The other tree goes up next weekend.

I haven't put any decorations up yet, I'm leaving them for Thursday!

SnowAngelChristmas 11-30-2005 08:02 PM

24!

Happy days are near! love the joy!

SnowAngelChristmas 12-01-2005 03:53 PM

just put up my advent calender. okay my dad did, so i don't know what to expect. It's just like opening your presants. If you know, there is no magic.
Reyjoce!

Saxomaphone 12-01-2005 06:58 PM

I love advent calendars. Mine is a Madagascar one, lol. My Mum's is Postman Pat, :D

Yep! 23 days til the big day! It's my birthday in 18 days, and my Mum's wedding day TODAY! This is a great December!!!

My decorations are now up. Had fun putting them up! Couldn't reach a corner, so used my pool cue to put one up, haha!

EXCITED! :D :D :lol:

SnowAngelChristmas 12-03-2005 06:36 AM

21!!!

was busy putting up decorations. Still have more. But not as many! can't wait!

:grin: :) :) :grin: :) :) :grin: