Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lights & Decorations (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   LED problems (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6610)

gennifyr 11-12-2007 09:27 AM

LED problems

We have gone through 8 sets of blue LED's since last year. None of them were up longer than two weeks (1hour a day max) before fizzling out.We just took back the last ones and switched them for incandescents. Been doing some research on LED's and apparently they are very prone to failure. The blue are the worst, the white the best and the rest of the colours fall in between. I guess the bulbs last a while but the connections are easily damaged by various things including moisture (even the outdoor ones). I think about buying them again in 10 years when the technology has worked out it's kinks.

dominick 11-12-2007 11:26 AM

I've also noticed that they are generally poorly made. It's a shame because it reflects poorly on the technology when it's clearly not a problem with the diodes themselves. If someone would make a set with heavier-gauge wire and better, more weather tight connections, I see no reason they couldn't last more than 10 years without issue. Of course, that may be why we'll never see a set like that. I've actually contemplated making a set like that for myself, but I don't know what I'd use for covers.

I have an indoor chaser set that has had two breaks in three years. One at the controller that I was able to re-solder, and another somewhere in the wire near the transformer that I'm unsure if I'll be able to fix without putting a new connector on it.

SQNOLA 11-13-2007 12:43 PM

Where have you guys purchased your LED lights? We've had a large number of them in various colors in our shop that have been lit all day, every day for going on 2 years now without difficulty.

David

dominick 11-13-2007 01:07 PM

The one set that I have problems with is from Menards, a regional hardware chain. The problem wouldn't come from being up inside and on constantly. My problems have occured during putting them up, taking them down, and repackaging them. What gennifyr is saying is that the outdoor sets are having a hard time standing up to the elements.

gennifyr 11-13-2007 01:11 PM

mine were noma brand.

BritneyBug 11-13-2007 07:38 PM

hmmm....I am bummed to hear that about the LED lights.
I want to get some since I have heard that they use much less energy and don't heat up.

gennifyr 11-14-2007 07:29 AM

If you really want to try your luck get a brand that has a long warranty and keep your receipt and packaging. Our first round was brought back the day after we bought them, the second a year later. I think Noma has a 5 year warranty. Oh and stick to the white ones as they have the least amount of trouble.

SQNOLA 11-14-2007 10:25 AM

You really shouldn't have these problems with quality LED lights...some companies likely produce low quality lights thinking that most customers will only use them for one season and throw them away. The LED lights that we carry have a 20,000 hour warranty, but should last 50,000 to 100,000 hours easily. We also haven't had problem with colored LEDs. I think this is more an issue of the manufacturing process than LED lights in general.

David

BritneyBug 11-14-2007 10:57 AM

If I get some I will be sure to keep the reciept and box.
Especially since I like color lights better than just the white ones.

Jeff Westover 11-14-2007 10:58 AM

Are you seeing a lot more sales in LED lights, David?