Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Does Anything Interesting Happen In Your Area For Christmas ? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7194)

mammaduke 11-24-2007 07:16 PM

Does Anything Interesting Happen In Your Area For Christmas ?

Last year we had people singing Christmas carols at our door 2 days before Christmas, who gave us a plant. Then early on Christmas Eve the fire Dept. has a truck drive in the neighborhoods with santa in the bucket, all decorated with lights, they have there siren & lights on. When a child comes out the door, they give them candy. It's really a cute idea that they do every year from what my husband told me.

So I was wondering if any other community does anything special like that at Christmas time.:)&

Annette1990 11-24-2007 07:26 PM

Yes, coming up next month my town has a holiday/christmas parade. It's so nice...all the stores in town stay open late..people sell things to purchase outside of the stores to from food, to gifts.We also have carolers that buzz around. It really is alot of fun! After the parade my daughter and I usually grab a hot chocolate and drive around to look at lights. Yesterday the little shops around here have their own black friday. The movie theater also showed a Christmas movie at 12:30 and it was free..kinda nice when you want to shop without children. There was also a horse and wagon and you could ride for free...Lots of fun!

*Yippy this is my 600th post!*

officepro4u 11-24-2007 08:24 PM

Well since I live only 20 minutes or so from Walt Disney World, we have a lot going on Christmas-wise! MGM has the Osborne Festival of Lights, Magic Kingdom has the Very Merry Christmas Parade, etc.

It is very magical and very beautiful to see!

Diana

mammaduke 11-24-2007 08:54 PM

I bet being near Disney is really great. That is really great.:hi:

Amanda Elf 11-29-2007 07:06 AM

This year they are having horse/wagon rides. No parade (we've had them in the past) but Santa is in town at stores during the day, shows up at the tree lighting at the grocery store in town.

We also have a tree lighting ceremony at the community center, decorate cookies etc.

When I was younger, they used to have a large wagon pulled by a big truck with Santa and carolers that would drive by. I LOVED this, the neighbors would call when it was getting close so we could get ready. They'd pass out oranges and candy canes...loved it.

mammaduke 11-29-2007 07:19 AM

Tonight one of the streets here gets blocked off & all up & down that strip the stores open up for free samples of there products. Then give everyone 10% off whatever they buy, the restraunts give out samples of what they have for desserts. Santa is there for the children, they have people singing up & down the street, horse drawn wagon rides, hot roasted chestnuts,& hot apple cidar. Then all the stores turn on there white lights & the whole strip is lite up, they do this every year. If we had snow they would of had stuff, but they do have alot for famlies to do there.

kerst 11-29-2007 08:07 AM

In our town they have a Christmas market on the market square with wooden stalls selling all kinds of things to do with Christmas or winter at least (some sell socks and hats, etc) and of course all kinds of goodies like gluhwein (hot wine with spices), hot waffles etc.. In the middle of the square is an ice-skating rink. This stays all throughout the month of December. Mid December there is a large christmas fair in town with all kinds of stalls and also demonstrations on flower arrangements, crafts, chefs cooking up a christmas dinner, and on another side of town there is a beautiful wooden house built especially for Santa and.... the real Santa from the Northpole is coming for three days ! He lives in the Santa village in Rovaniemi in Finland, way up there on the real Northpole ! The rest of the month there will be a replacement Santa to get your picture taken with . I hope I get a chance to go ! I don't have any kids. Maybe I'll borrow my neighbours for support :-D

There are some concerts in various churches with Christmas songs.

It's a lot of fun, Christmas !!

MerryLady 12-03-2007 08:27 AM

Since the area where I live is tropical and there are a lot of water ways here, we have the Winterfest Boat Parade. People festoon their boats in Christmas and Seasonal lights and decorations and parade through the intercoastal waterway.

Snow Faery 12-03-2007 08:42 AM

Here in Brighton we have a special event called "The Burning of the Clocks" which usually happens around about Winter Solstice, a few days before Christmas. All the locals make paper lanterns with clocks drawn on them and put a candle inside and have a huge parade around the streets of Brighton. A lot of local companies and organisations get involved and sponsor giant lanterns to be made - last time we had a giant octopus, big ben, a procession of huge penguins and many others! They look amazing and the drummer and dancers add to the magic.

The parade ends up on the beach where they make a huge bonfire and burn all the clocks as a symbol of the passage of time and the procession into the next year. It's so unusual and so fun to watch!

There's more info here, if anyone is interested:

Burning of the Clocks

Christmasstar 07-05-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annette1990 (Post 55470)

*Yippy this is my 600th post!*

I was reading through some older posts and found this one!
You've come a long way Annette! cheesy