Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home & Family (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Do you cut back on bills to celebrate Christmas ? (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7298)

mammaduke 11-27-2007 09:26 PM

Do you cut back on bills to celebrate Christmas ?

:busy:Is Christmas cutting into the money you have to pay bills ? I know here we try to juggle everything to make sure everyone gets something for Christmas. I have to budget shop to get everything yet still pay bills. I was wondering if that's the way with others here ? Not asking if your rich or poor ,but I can say ;I'm rich with the Lord, yet middle class with the goverment.
I was just wondering if anyone is like this here?

mammaduke 11-27-2007 10:10 PM

Wanted to make sure this got on

kerst 11-28-2007 04:53 AM

In our family we don't exchange presents except for a few small ones because there are 30 of us and it's just too much. So the presents bit doesn't bute into my budget. Christmas lunch is paid for by my parents (they are 80 now but still going strong) but I do spend a lot of money on decorations, visiting christmas fairs, going to a concert or something and I will host a drinks party for my neighbours which will cost too. But I do try to stick to a budget and I make sure I provide enough money for bills in the months before christmas so I don't run into problems. Christmas doens't have to cost a fortune; with warmth and love you can already create a great Christmas !

Becky

officepro4u 11-28-2007 06:51 AM

Yes, Debbie...I always put off one or two to do Christmas. Oh well ~ LOL!!! I usually just call and make a payment arrangement for after Christmas. I never seem to have a problem.

Diana:???:

xmascrackers 11-28-2007 12:16 PM

Through the year I add about $15 a month extra to my power bill, $5 a month extra to my phone bill and I buy a christmas club voucher each fortnight with my groceries. When December comes along I have very small power and phone bills to pay and a few extra dollars to play with in the grocery vouchers so that there is always a little extra money floating around at Christmas for those unexpected things. It works for me any way.

mammaduke 11-28-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmascrackers (Post 56396)
Through the year I add about $15 a month extra to my power bill, $5 a month extra to my phone bill and I buy a christmas club voucher each fortnight with my groceries. When December comes along I have very small power and phone bills to pay and a few extra dollars to play with in the grocery vouchers so that there is always a little extra money floating around at Christmas for those unexpected things. It works for me any way.

That sounds like a really great way to do it now that my husband is working we can do that after the 1st of the year. Thanks.

mammaduke 11-28-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officepro4u (Post 56345)
Yes, Debbie...I always put off one or two to do Christmas. Oh well ~ LOL!!! I usually just call and make a payment arrangement for after Christmas. I never seem to have a problem.

Diana:???:

I called all mone to it just gets so hard at times.:-) At least I know it's not just me.

Sunshine73 11-28-2007 02:02 PM

I do several things to avoid the Christmas financial bite.

First, I shop all year round and take advantage of sales. For example, back in July of this year our local Hallmark shop was having a sale on all Christmas Cherished Teddy figurines. These were normally priced at $35 to $70 a piece...they were on sale for $3.00 . So, DH and I picked out 7 of them to give to various people. For $22.00, I got 7 Christmas gifts and since $22.00 isn't a huge amount of money, I was able to afford it by skipping some simple luxuries that week.

Second, I budget for Christmas the way I budget for my car insurance. Starting in September I set aside a certain amount each paycheck for Christmas. If we're really strapped, I come up with the cash to set aside by trimming "extras" from our budget. For example: No going out to eat, cutting our food budget by making cheaper meals, and cutting unneccesary spending (like haircuts, new clothes, etc.).

Third, I "keep the change" both in my checking account and in cash. In my checking account, if I spend $32.50, I write down the actual amount ($32.50) but subtract $33.00 from my balance. If you use your checking account a lot (either writing checks or with your debit card) you will be surprised at how quickly the extra change adds up. Just be sure you balance your checkbook often and then, at Christmas time, you can withdraw your "extra change" and use it for spending money. DH and I usually average about $250.00 per year in checking change.

If you're more of a "use cash" person, then just throw whatever spare change you have at the end of the day into a jar and save it. You'd be surprised how quickly that adds up as well. My DH and I were once able to accumulate around $500 in a little over a year and a half.

Like someone else mentioned, I also send a bit extra to my various bills in order to build up a credit on the accounts so that when Christmas rolls around, there are a minimum of bills to be paid.

I figure that I want to have fun at Christmas, not spend time worrying about money and bills (that's what I've got the rest of the year for) so I do all the scrimping, saving and scheming the rest of the year so I can truly enjoy Christmas!

kidzrme 11-28-2007 06:14 PM

I shop for Christmas starting in September, a little at a time, so I don't have to come up with a large amount of money at once. Being a single mom I have learned lots of wasy to "cut corners" and yes, sometimes I do have to pay a little less to certain bills, but we also make sure that we stay as focused as possible on the real meaning of Christmas, and have never spent lots of money on gifts. It is harder to do that though, when they are little.

Minta 11-29-2007 10:54 AM

We do a Christmas club and set money aside in that each month. We get the money from it in Oct and that will cover about 80 to 90 % for out holiday costs. The rest will get budgeted in. I also shop sales all year long so by the time fall hits I already have a several gifts/stocking stuffers bought.