Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ideas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Make your home self cleaning for the holidays! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7486)

Annette1990 12-06-2007 08:40 PM

Make your home self cleaning for the holidays!

Here are few tips some of you may enjoy.

1. Effortlessly shine silver...
Simply line the bottom of a pan with foil, put your silver on top, sprinkle with salt and baking soda, then fill with warm water and soak overnight. It cleans the tarnish right off. Then just rinse and buff.

2. Clean pots while you sleep...
Just soak themin vinegar diluted with water. How does this work? Vinegar is very acidic, and that acid helps to loosen stuck-on food. Soak from 15 minutes to overnight. Then simply rinse the remains away; your pots will be sparkling clean.

3. Deodorize overnight...
Instead of sprinkling carpet freshner- or using products that perfume the air- simply set out a bowl of vinegar overnight and you'll wake up to a fresher smelling home. The vinegar will absorb any odors, but not leave a scent itself. It wll just smell clean.

4. Wake up to a clean bathroom....
No need to scrub porcelain fixtures! Just drop two denture tablets into water and let them sit overnight. This will lift stains from anything porcelain-with no work at all!

5. Steam-clean you microwave in minutes...
Microwave a bowl of water for 5 minutes.The steaming action will loosen everything. Just wipe it right off when you are done.

mammaduke 12-06-2007 09:31 PM

You are so good, my Aunt dumps her stuff from her false teeth in the toliet & told me it was great to clean the toliet. I thought she was crazy, now I know she's not.

Annette1990 12-06-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammaduke (Post 58069)
You are so good, my Aunt dumps her stuff from her false teeth in the toliet & told me it was great to clean the toliet. I thought she was crazy, now I know she's not.

*L* No it really works and did you also know that using vinegar and baking soda combined works great to unclog drains...and it's better than liquid plumber and costs alot less...

mammaduke 12-06-2007 09:56 PM

Thanks that really helps me to know all this stuff since my husband is away so much.

Annette1990 12-12-2007 09:52 PM

Well it's nice to be able to cut corners on cleaning vs. making it an all day project. When you could be doing something else.

Amy 12-12-2007 11:10 PM

Excellent tips!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annette1990 (Post 58061)
5. Steam-clean you microwave in minutes...
Microwave a bowl of water for 5 minutes.The steaming action will loosen everything. Just wipe it right off when you are done.

I do have something to add to this one....
Cut a lemon in half, squeeze a little juice into the water and add the lemon. Make sure the water boils and let it sit so the steam has time to work. You'll be left with a clean, lemon scented microwave.

Annette1990 12-16-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy (Post 58808)
Excellent tips!!

I do have something to add to this one....
Cut a lemon in half, squeeze a little juice into the water and add the lemon. Make sure the water boils and let it sit so the steam has time to work. You'll be left with a clean, lemon scented microwave.

Yep that works too Amy. I have also done it that way before too with the lemon. Works great!

sugarplum fairy 12-20-2007 04:12 PM

Thanks for the tips!

mammaduke 12-20-2007 04:19 PM

You always come up with the best suggestions.Thanks for letting us know all these ideas.
Love, Debbie

joyful 12-23-2007 09:21 AM

I always use the baking soda/water method to clean my microwave and it does an excellent job.

Also, the denture tablets will clean out the coffee thermos and other kitchen items.

Thanks for the tips.

:)