Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   So Mad...have to take down Christmas Tree! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7509)

Sunshine73 12-07-2007 08:16 PM

So Mad...have to take down Christmas Tree!

I'm so flipping mad right now I can't even see straight. Dh and I have been looking for another place to live but until we find somewhere we're stuck here in this crappy little apartment.

In the last 4 months alone I have had: raw sewage backed up in my bathtub, a major plumbing issue in the kitchen sink, the wall collapsed around my bathtub (not just tiles falling off...but the wall fell in due to leaks in the walls), the landlord put a hole in the bottom of the cabinet under my sink so I can't use one of the few cabinets that I actually have, and we went several days without hot water.

I've tried to be patient. I really have. The issue with the kitchen sink isn't completely resolved (though they tell me "they'll get to it"), the wall in the bathroom finally got fixed after nearly 2 months of having this HUGE gaping hole in the wall (they said the hole was "no big deal"), the hole under the sink never got fixed at all, and the hot water issue? Well, we were told anyone could go without hot water for a few days (they didn't want to deal with it).

So, today I come home and find a notice on my door saying that starting Tuesday, they are going to be replacing the windows in our building. Fine, great, nothing in my apartment is working properly but buy new windows...fandamtastic. BUT. We have to move all of our furniture and personal effects at least 2 to 3 feet away from the windows and even then, they spelled out the they're not responsible for breakage of personal items that you leave out...which means that we have to spend the weekend taking our Christmas tree and all of our decorations down.

I'm so frustrated. Who in their right mind decides to replace windows in the middle of December in ILLINOIS?

I.HATE.THIS.!!!!!!!!

Annette1990 12-07-2007 10:10 PM

This is terrible. I am sorry to here this. Some people are just not responsible enough to be landlords. They want their money but the heck with fixing things. I hope you can find a new place to live soon. Sounds like these people are jokers. I would also in the meantime look into this matter a little more. For example..with the leaks, the sewage and things caving in so to speak is hazardous to your health. I would check with the local city department or even an attorney. You have rights as a renter this is a fact.

kelly ann 12-08-2007 02:49 AM

I totally understand what you're going through.

Just a suggestion though, could you spend christmas with family??

novelist 12-08-2007 03:22 AM

:-xHow awful! It's disrupting enough as it is, but anyone who wants to come into someone's apartment to rplace windows thid time of year is nuts! It's not like you live in Florida, or some other warm place. So sorry you have to go through this now!

MrsH 12-08-2007 05:10 AM

That is horrible. I just did a google search for Illinois Renter Rights and I will send you a PM with a link that I hope will help. We'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Head Elf 12-08-2007 09:00 AM

Mrs H you are truly the angel they say you are. If you hadn't suggested it I was going to. Whoever is the landlord does not have a clue or want to make things difficult and is a complete scrooge. I suggest getting a lawyer and taking pictures of all the damage along with keeping a journal of when all this happened. I am so sorry this is happening to you and your family this time of the year. Good luck! What part of Illinois do you reside in?

Maebeary 12-08-2007 01:48 PM

That's terrible! I hope that what Mrs. H sent helps a lot.

Christmasstar 12-08-2007 04:35 PM

Oh Sunshine

That is all so frustrating!
You need a hug, come here and let me give you a big one...:give:

Don't loose your Christmas spirit because of Mr.Scrooge!

Sunshine73 12-08-2007 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and support. I knew that if anyone would understand how upsetting it was for me to be told that I have to take down my Christmas decorations two weeks before Christmas, it would be my buddies at MMC. I was so upset last night that I was crying and I'm sure the neighbors would have thought that my best friend had died, but it's been such a rough few months (all the apartment stresses, my DH being out of work for 11 weeks with a nasty work-related injury that developed into a staph infection, my FIL dying, my brother off and serving in the war) that I just really needed Christmas this year.

As silly as this sounds, getting that notice was like someone coming in and stealing Christmas from me. Now, I know logically that I can put the Christmas tree and all my decorations back up but that takes time away from other holiday activities that I had planned (so does taking the decorations down). I'm just completely bummed, irritated, frustrated, you name it.

I've lived here for about 8 years or so and in all that time things have never been like this but a new owner recently took possession of the buildings and things have been going downhill ever since. :(

I'm trying to keep my Christmas spirit but it's hard when it feels like the Grinch is in charge of your life, kwim?

sila 12-09-2007 12:47 AM

im at outraged at this!!!!
i hope some of the good advice already given helps you
meanwhile try and keepyour spirits up i know thats easy to say
when things get too much come on here and chat to us xxxxxxxxxxxx
my parents went through something similar last xmas when their council decided to refurbish their flat before xmas with new heaters, bathroom and kichen it was a nightmare and they are in their 70 s.