Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Valentine's Day (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   I won't be manipulated! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8002)

Jeff Westover 01-02-2008 05:32 PM

I won't be manipulated!

Ok, I confess: I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day. Pretty pathetic, I know, for a married man with six daughters to admit.

I just never liked the idea of being compelled to tell my sweetheart (or my little girls) that I love her.

I don't want to be forced to buy jewelry or flowers. I don't want the element of surprise taken from my "I Love Yous".

Also, truth be told, I'm in the candy business. And Valentine's Day is, bar none, the biggest headache of all the holidays.

That's because in our business on Valentine's Day it is dominated by male customers and we are, frankly, sheep and pretty dumb ones at that.

Jeff

mammaduke 01-02-2008 05:36 PM

Last year we didn't have any money so we made up a coupon Book with different things we'd do for each other through out the year. I loved that gift better than any other one I've ever received.

Jeff Westover 01-02-2008 05:39 PM

We've done that before too, to great affect. I enjoy little Valentine's surprises for my girls and we always get a little something for them. But I take my wife out weekly and throughout the year will do little things. She will too. But when it comes to the day itself...we prefer just alone time at home, fixing dinner for each other.

Undrtakr 01-02-2008 06:23 PM

I normaly just get my Wife flowers and have special time ;)

dvdelf 01-02-2008 06:39 PM

I love after valentines clearance candy sales

Michael Rielly 01-02-2008 06:40 PM

It sure didn't take long to get the Valentines stuff in the stores. I had to go to the grocery store on New Year's Day and the "seasonal" isle was cleared of Christmas and New Year decorations. Already on the shelves were chocolates, roses, and all sorts of Valentine's items!

dvdelf 01-02-2008 06:44 PM

I hope they were not real roses, they wont make it til feb

On another note do we need one specific day to celebrate our loved ones? Dont we have birthdays & anniversaries & even Christmas for that?

Jeff Westover 01-02-2008 06:44 PM

Funny you mention that...three days before Christmas I was rushing like mad to get stock for my stores and I arranged a rush shipment from SF. When the truck arrived we scrambled to get it all out and the first box I opened was all wrapped in Valentine's and not Christmas wrap. I thought about it for 5 seconds and then thought...who really minds hearts at Christmas?

Fortunately, that was the only box of Valentine's wrap I got. But guess what? It all sold...first. Go figger.

MrsH 01-02-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdguy (Post 61302)
I love after valentines clearance candy sales

Notice how he didn't say that he buys flowers or candy for the wife....just that he loves after valentine clearance candy. Sigh....

dvdelf 01-02-2008 06:47 PM

like you dont get anything