Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Music (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   heres another musical question (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8804)

dvdelf 04-02-2008 03:26 PM

heres another musical question

I read today where Mariah Carey passed elvis for top singles & is now only behind the beatles.
Heres my question:
Everything I've read says Bing Crosby has more top singles than everybody.
So why dont i see his name anywhere?

Sorry if this gets Jon fired up againcheesy

Maureen 04-02-2008 03:36 PM

I really can't answer your question because I'm not knowledgeable enough. Sorry!!

I would like to say, however, that in my opinion, Mariah Carey is nothing but a warbling waste of airtime and has far too many notes in her songs.

I've now got that off my chest, have a good evening!!!

Jeff Westover 04-02-2008 03:46 PM

Comparing sales of Mariah Carey to Bing Crosby is like comparing home runs between Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds. Two different artists in two different eras just don't compare. The Babe had booze and about 40 extra pounds contending against him while Barry had needles and modern conditioning to help him out (as well as 162 game seasons). Bing sold records in two sizes -- LPs and 45s. Mariah sells CDs, downloads, videos, etc.

So you just can't compare.

Plus, you have to look at markets over time. Bing sold to US and Internation markets that were much, much smaller. Mariah is a pariah in many cultures that Bing never could be thanks to modern communications and the natural growth in populations.

Bing had the radio, a sizeable military follow and, I suppose, plenty of support from the PGA to promote him.

Mariah has television, radio, internet, movies, commercials, magazines, MTV, and who knows how many features on the cover of "Plastic Surgery Monthly" to market her.

So, in essence, anyone who touts Mariah Carey as "comparable" in any way to Bing, the Beatles, Elvis or, even, William Hung is, well, smoking too many of her CDs.

Jeff Westover 04-02-2008 03:48 PM

Oh wait a minute...you were comparing Mariah to Elvis.

Here's the difference between those two: Elvis is STILL selling music 30 years after he, well, crapped out. 30 years from now people will be saying "Mariah who?"

dvdelf 04-02-2008 03:49 PM

but if bing has more number 1 singles than everyone, why isnt he listed

Jeff Westover 04-02-2008 03:51 PM

Because the dundering chowderhead WRITER/REPORTER and his accomplice in media SLIME (also known as an editor) didn't do their homework. You can't trust the media to get much of anything right. I'm sure they took the write-up straight from Mariah's publicist and ran with it.

auntieclaus 04-02-2008 05:49 PM

here! here!

RadioJonD 04-04-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdguy (Post 69961)

Sorry if this gets Jon fired up againcheesy

HEY! I heard that! I'm just right over here you know!

What Jeff said, what Maureen said, what auntieclause said!

girlyfied 07-01-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdguy (Post 69967)
but if bing has more number 1 singles than everyone, why isnt he listed

It's a little known fact. That's all. Most people, even those in the media, simply don't know.

Also I think the Elvis vs. Mariah is based on historical charts and not necessarily over all sales. You an get Elivis's music in the same places you can get Mariah's, but they don't always track. No one is really following the sales of 40 year old songs unless it happens to sell an enormous amount one week. But as Johnny Cash proved, if you were to put up a new Elvis CD against a new Mariah CD, Elvis will more than likely outsell her.

Maureen 07-01-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlyfied (Post 84431)
if you were to put up a new Elvis CD against a new Mariah CD, Elvis will more than likely outsell her.

One can only hope.......!!!!!!!!