Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Traditions & Memories (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   This Year Is All New For Us (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9438)

santashelperkobrin 05-27-2008 01:34 PM

This Year Is All New For Us

Well this year will be all new for us, Due too some non-fixable family prob's it will just be me, Hubby and our 2 boy's at Christmas, We bought a new tree this year and were gonna have a great meal and start some of our own new Traditions.....By Christmas the boy's will be 3 and a half and 1 and a half so great age's too start some new Traditions for them too injoy, I think it will be great!!

~Santas Helper Kobrin :rudolph:

Annette1990 05-27-2008 03:10 PM

That sounds really nice. I think it's important to start new traditions. Your boys are a perfect age for this. I think they will love it all. And cherish these memories for a lifetime.

momnan30 05-27-2008 06:14 PM

My mother-in-law who passed in 2005 used to say to us, "Life is nothing but change." I never understood what she meant in my twenties and thirties. I started to get it in my forties and now that I am 52, it is abundantly clear. The holidays have changed for us with the loss of parents and the marriage of our daughter. For example, her first married year, we changed our Christmas Eve tradition from dinner to brunch so that they could spend some time here with us before going to her new husband's home for the evening. It meant so much to her to open some gifts with her brothers and share time with us. Flexibility is key...everyone is happier when there is no quarreling and the season can be shared with generosity of spirit and heart and not just the pocketbook!

DoubleA 05-28-2008 01:10 AM

Best of luck with the new traditions! That is part of the fun of the Holiday Season, being able to carry over a few traditions, but making a whole new batch that you can carry on for years to come. Im sure the boys will love everything that they get to experience this Season, we look forward to hearing about it.

vixenlong 05-28-2008 03:28 AM

Ahh, traditions. I remember making paper chains as a kid. We got a new personalized ornament every year and we hung them on the tree. I remember watching all the Christmas specials on tv with my mom and dad and brothers. We got popcorn and fruit to eat while watching them. I remember going to my parents room on Christmas eve and looking out the window for Santa. Sure enough we could see Rudolph's nose out in the distance. We would race to our beds to hurry and go to sleep. Of course now I know that it was a tower with a red light on it....lol
I did the same thing with my kids.... they are now all teenagers, but they still say they believe in Santa.....if I ask them.

usafvet 05-28-2008 08:21 PM

It is certainly endearing to read about others traditions. I have a young family of my own (my wife and a 2 1/2 year old son) and by the time it is Christmas he'll really start to get into it. I have a few to incorporate as a child, but unfortunately my childhood was sort of sad around the holidays and so I had to make due with what Christmas magic my brother, sister, and I could find. Reading about other ideas inspire me...and hopefully I'll be able to incorporate some creative ones into my son's Christmas memories this year and beyond.

Laney 05-28-2008 09:33 PM

It will be wonderful for you to start new traditions for your own little family. Your kids will grow up and love the memories they have of Christmas.

I had a similar situation last Christmas. I had a 4 month old and due to last minute circumstances, me, DH and DD spent Christmas home alone while the rest of our family went to Oklahoma. I had never spent a Christmas with out my family and I cried myself to sleep on Christmas eve. Then I realized that I was spending Christmas with MY family. That meant so much more to me than anything. We cooked a little Christmas dinner for 2 and opened presents.

Take joy in your little family. It is okay for you to be sad about the family situation, but you have a chance to really create special memories for YOUR family. I hope you have a wonderful and special Christmas season.

Snowbelle27 05-29-2008 02:36 AM

I think that this situation is an ideal opportunity to introduce some new family traditions, and build perfect memories for your children to cherish. I'm sure you'll find some wonderful ideas here and get some great inspiration.:rudolph:

Minta 05-29-2008 10:19 AM

This will allow you the chance to do or try things you normally would not. A lot of traditions were born from trial and errors, from something tried on a whim. It will be fun trying new and different things to see what fits you and your family. Have fun!

ReineV 05-29-2008 10:28 AM

Yes, new traditions are exciting! One new tradition that we'll be starting in my family is spending Christmas eve at my house. My older family members are handing one of our major Christmas traditions down to the younger generation! When we have children, it will probably be an even larger tradition!