Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas

Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/index.php)
-   Christmas Together (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sunday is National Cancer survivors Day ! (http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9718)

mammaduke 06-07-2008 08:10 PM

Sunday is National Cancer survivors Day !

Sunday Bob & I will be going to the hospital where I received my treatments for the National Cancer Survivors Day celebration. It is a celebration they have all over the US to celebrate those with cancer who have made it, this year is special to us since most of you know Bob(DH) was diagnoised in Dec. with colon cancer , is now cancer free, & I have been cancer free for almost 6 yrs.
We will be going with my two girls, my sister, & niece, so I can see all my nurses who were there for me while I was fighting my Leukemia 6 yrs ago.
To all here who are survivors congratuations & Celebrate tomorrow, for those who didn't win there fight we will all light a candle tomorrow night.

irishgirl 06-08-2008 06:02 AM

6 years.. you have passed the magical mark.. God Bless you! I hope your DH is doing well. I am sure you both are grateful everyday for the life you lead.. for both of you to go through what you have.. I can only imagine. My mother has battled uterian (sp?) thyroid cancer for the last 3 years. Her latests scans came back clear so she only has to have them yearly now. We were all (no one more than her) very thankful for this. So thank you for letter me know what today is.. I had no idea!!!cheesy

mammaduke 06-08-2008 08:32 AM

I will think of your mom today when we are at our celebration. There is a sight : you can google it at : National Cancer Survivors Day Celebration, God Bless her.

mammaduke 06-08-2008 09:02 AM

When I looked it up on the computer it was last sunday but our hospital is doing it this Sunday so everyone can be there since some of our nurses are at another hospital & wanted to be at our hospital. I will still celebrate for everyone here who is cancer free.

momnan30 06-08-2008 11:48 AM

God bless you with continued good health!
We all celebrate with you in spirit and we pray for those who fight on.
We dearly remember those whom God has called back to Him.

AuntieMistletoeDear 06-08-2008 02:24 PM

:hello: My dad received his "don't come back again, mister" news a few weeks ago. It was his fifth year with no concern for worry. You bet we celebrated, Mamma!

On June 20th-21st. I'm staying up all night like I did last year for our local Relay for Life event. Last year we were late signing up and only had twelve participants, this year we need two tents because we have 23 members on our team and heaps of fun planned including costumes and a theme song. I'm still working on that rock 'n roll beach-type song.

Last year was amazing. I was in the caregiver walk, but in my mind I was walking for my dad as a survivor with a co-worker who still has to have tests done after seven years, but is optimistic and fun to be around. We're co-Captains for the event.

I'll tell you, there's nothing that can compare to the feeling I had when I looked back after only walking the first quarter of the track to see all the survivors walking behind us (their shirts were powder blue) and it looked like a sea of blue. On the second lap when the rest of the walkers joined us, I saw my dad's luminary that I bought for him and I got a little choked up.

My team is making a banner with footprints (we're dipping into paint - eww) around the edges and names of Survivors and In Memory Of written down so when we walk we will be thinking about different families touched by cancer on each lap. That's what got me through it last year, when my legs felt like jell-o-jigglers and I didn't think I could take another step, I pulled names out of my pocket and carried on.

If you have family members or special friends you'd like us to think about when we're walking around the track at the relay, toss me a PM and I'll add them to our list.

Mamma, when I was walking and saw all the survivors behind me and a few in front, I said to myself, "this means something. This matters, maybe the cure is around the next corner or under the next microscope" and I still believe that.

:hello: You be sure and celebrate today!

Maureen 06-08-2008 02:33 PM

I'm doing the Relay for Life here as well - August 23rd. There is the Survivors Walk first which is then followed by the Candle ceremony in the evening. I'm in a team of 11 so will probably have a good few circuits to do but it's for a worthy cause. My dad didn't beat it.......

mammaduke 06-08-2008 02:48 PM

Auntie thank you so much for sharing your story with us, I know what you mean looking at all the survivors today , seeing so many old faces & meeting a group of new people.We had such a great time & seeing all the angels who took care of me while I was in there was great. So many hugs & kisses from everyone & for everyone, even met 8 of my doctors 12 kids & his wife.

I know what you feel doing the walk because we do the Leukemia walk every year, it's called Light the Night & cancer patients carry white balloons, family, & friends carry red, & there is a gold balloon in memory of someone who passed from Leukemia or Lymphomia.I have a team with 25 members which include family of a gentleman I met in the hospital while having treatments who died 4 months after his diagnoise, & members of my family. Seeing the balloons all lite up as we walk our 2 miles is a sight to see, they have a video at www.Lightthelight.org.Last year we had 2,500 people walking & raised over $195,000.00 for our area.
I will pm you his name so you could walk in memory of him please.
You are such a loving person Auntie, good luck on the walk.

irishgirl 06-08-2008 07:35 PM

Mamma Duke,

I am so happy for you that your day went well!! I was looking at your album with my husband and he noticed you balloon! He was so excited to see you walking for Light the Night. I didn't realize when looking at your pictures that you were a leukimeia survivor!!! My DH walked for Light the Night last year!!! We have become walk a thon junkies! He really loved this one in particular.. My husband has severe lymphademia and has to be very careful!

It was truely inspiration photographing the walk last year! If I can figure out how to do an album on hear I will post some pictures of it!!

You go girl!!!!:hello:

mammaduke 06-09-2008 04:24 PM

irishgirl I want to thank you so much for your kind words. Yes we do the walk everyyear & I get surprised each & every year but all the people who join us each year.