View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,763 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballcoach View Post
I'm usually a tough ol pine knot...but dogs are my weakspot. Had a lab that my parents got me for my 10th birthday. All through school (at least until I started driving), she walked me to school everyday. At the end of the day, sometimes she was at my football and baseball practice (as I stepped out of the gym I would hollar her name) because we lived about 30 yards from our school athletic facilities. She saw most of my high school home baseball games....she would sit outside the baseball fence in the outfield and in between innings I would talk to her while I stayed loose (I was an outfielder). She was with me through college as I moved....she was with me when I got my first job away from home as we moved...she was there when a women I was going to marry packed up and left....she was there through my grandparents death....and she was there with me when I got hired back in my hometown....14 years later....as we went home

I knew she was getting old....and I knew it was getting to be time...on my birthday, which happens to fall around Thanksgiving (it was the day after that year), we hung around and every night before we went to sleep(she slept in my bed with me) she would give me a big ol kiss and she would either sleep in the bed or right in the floor....this night she slept in the bed...and I used to love to get right up against her....I think she calmed me and I calmed her....and when I woke up....she didn't....but that night....in my arms....she went home...

George....I had another dog in one and a half months...and it turned out the he was born on the day after she died (WHAT'S THE CHANCES???).I don't regret a second of it. I will always miss my dogs...but that unwavering loyalty that you get from a dog is the best...that wagging tail....that licking your face...man it's the best....now I still have that dog and two more...and I can't get enough of em.....people who don't have dogs think we are silly...but I knew that dog longer than most people I work with....knew her longer than I have known my wife....ALMOST HALF OF MY LIFE.....they become part of the family....but in time....all is better....just make sure you get another one!

Today....eight years later...I still think about her and her picture is right next to my bed....
That's weird - Jacob (our border terrier; the brown one in the photos) was born the day after Midge was PTS as well

It's still too raw to think about it George, but when you feel a bit more calm, consider giving a home to another 4 legged friend. You would not be replacing Thor, instead he gave you such love and companionship and you gave him the same, that you should share that with another pet. Variation on an original theme, so to speak!!!