Thread: The Big Meal
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

UJSupanova is a good elfUJSupanova is a good elfUJSupanova is a good elfUJSupanova is a good elfUJSupanova is a good elfUJSupanova is a good elf
Ingredients:
1kg Maris Piper potatoes
Batter mix: (flour, milk, egg, water, salt, oil)
250g butter
50ml whole milk
plain flour
2l chicken stock

At about 7am get the turkey out of the fridge, leave it out for around an hour to reach room temperature. In the meantime preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180C).

First things first, once the oven's preheated the turkey goes in.

Then there's not much else for a couple of hours.

Next: (about 2 hours before serving time)

Carrot & Swede.

Drain off the carrot and swede, chop up roughly into fairly large pieces and bring to the boil in salted water without a lid. After about 35-40 minutes it should be ready. Drain off, place into a metal mixing bowl. Add 100g butter, a pinch of salt and black pepper and mash with a masher until it's a nice texture. Foil the top of the bowl and place the bowl on top of a stock pot filled with water and leave on the hob as a bain marie. This will keep it hot but won't ruin it.

Next (about 1 hour to serving time)

Peel and clean 1kg of potatoes, soak and cut into small pieces, bring to boil in salted water, after 35 minutes drain/steam off and add 100g butter, 50ml whole milk and season well. Mash with a masher and foil off ready, keep warm the same as the carrots and swede mash.

Once the turkey's nearly ready, the roast potatoes go in the oven, then the turkey comes out. Put the oven up to full heat.

when the potatoes have been in for 20 minutes te turkey comes out and the pigs in blankets go in.

Put the turkey on a large cutting board, cover with foil and some tea towels, place the roasting tin on the hob. This will make an amazing gravy. Skim off 90% of the fat from the juices in the roasting tin and then heat gently, add 2 tbsps of plain flour and mix with the roasted veg/wings etc. in the tin, then add the stock and leave to reduce on the heat. Once it's reached a nice consistency, remove the veg/wings and strain through a sieve into a large serving jug/gravy boat. (I use a large steel cafetiere)

Take the foil off the pigs in blankets and put them in on the middle shelf of the oven below the potatoes.

Time to carve the turkey.

The Christmas roast is the time to use the best stuff so i like to use the special knife/fork here. I have a 12 year old 10" Wusthof carving knife and matching carving fork, brilliant for the job. It helps if you remove the wishbone first, or better still get the butcher to do it before you buy it.

Now mix up the batter (milk, flour, eggs, water, salt - recipe to follow later) to make yorkshire puddings. Pour some oil in each of the cups of the pudding tray and place in the oven until the oil is smoking, then add the mix, put in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the mix has risen high and turned golden brown.

By now everything should be ready to serve.

Perfect.

**Note there's no stuffing on this because we don't like it in my family, but i will add a recipe for amazing stuffing later.

Also to come are steamed veg with individual flavoured butters, roast spiced butternut squash and some nice dessert ideas.

Enjoy