View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Here is the turkey recipe. I have a recipe where you actually make the brine, but this one is SO simple. Enjoy!

Cherylle in CA

Maple-Brined Turkey

6 quarts water
High MountainGame Bird/Poultry Brine
One 13-18-pound turkey, giblets removed
4 cups Jack Daniel’s smoke chips, soaked in water 30 minutes, drained
2 large oranges, cut into wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil

Glaze

3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup Jack Daniels mustard
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick butter)

Rinse turkey inside and out. Prepare brine according to package instructions. Place turkey in brine, pressing to submerge. Chill overnight, turning turkey twice. (I use a Tupperware container that I bought to store lots of flour [about 20 pounds, I think], and I do not have to turn it.) Mound charcoal briquettes in barbecue and burn until light gray. Carefully divide hot briquettes into two piles, one pile at each side of the barbecue. Sprinkle each pile with heaping 1/2 cup Jack Daniel’ssmoking chips. Place empty broiler pan between piles. Position grill at least six inches above briquettes. Position vents on barbecue so that chips smoke and briquettes burn but do not flame. Remove turkey from brine and discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Place orange wedges inside main cavity. Mix olive oil and sesame seed oil; brush over turkey. Center turkey, breast side up, on grill. Cover and cook until thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Every 30 minutes, add 1 cup hickory chips and 6 briquettes to barbecue for about 3 hours. For the glaze, bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Brush glaze over turkey during the last 30 minutes or so until the glaze is used up. Note: You can go to www.himtnjerky.com to order High Mountain Game Bird/Poultry Brine for the brine—it is EXCELLENT!!

Last edited by Seawaters; 11-09-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Symbols came out "weird."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seawaters For This Useful Post:
Holiday (11-10-2010), TamaraQT (11-10-2010)