View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,018 Times in 174 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
I'm really enjoying this thread! I was born in August of '58....I don't quite remember JFK being assassinated. I remember my great-grandmother going to California on a prop-jet, and sticking around the airport afterwards to watch planes take off and land. I remember buying Richie Rich, Little Lulu, Caspar and Sad Sack comics off of a spinner rack at the drugstore. My father was a radio die hard, so I remember the last of the classic radio shows and the first TV my parents had (this would have been around 62, I guess). I remember my grandparents getting a color TV, and going to their house every year to watch the Wizard of Oz in color. I remember the Tigers winning the World Series.

Moving ahead, I remember the Bicentennial! I graduated that year, and our class colors were midnight blue and silver, our class flower the American Beauty rose. So the stage was red, white (silver) and blue. The graduation was held at the football stadium, and a man on horseback yelling "the seniors are coming!" circled the stadium before we marched out. Yes, very ! And I remember the big Bicentennial celebrations that summer and my little brothers dressing up in colonial costumes "just because".

I also remember the not-so-great things: the little girls killed in the Birmingham bombing. MLK and Bobby Kennedy being assassinated. All the riots. I remember the Watergate scandal, and watching the hearings on TV (and being very bored--I was a teenager, after all.) Even though I was a young adult by then, I remember Jonestown and the Milk-Moscone murders. (I had moved from the Midwest to the SF Bay Area the year before, so it was a very big deal at the time.) And of course, I remember the Iran hostage crisis.

Sometimes I can't believe it was all that long ago--it seems pretty vivid still!